David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/5/18 2:55 p.m.

Story By David Wallens • Photos By Tom Suddard

It was specifically built for racing and features a competition-tuned, six-cylinder, air-cooled engine in the back–and, no, it’s not a Porsche. Meet the 1966 Yenko Stinger, the first fortified, competition-tuned car built by Don Yenko, the Pennsylvania Chevrolet dealer who’d eventually become a darling of the muscle car world.

Like a …

Read the rest of the story

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
1/5/18 6:26 p.m.

Be Still My Pounding Heart !!!!!!    Oh God a wave of Memories from my Early years 69-71,   Wallens did you ever ride the back way from Virginia Highlands over to Emory, Great roads.  'Cause you said Automod.

hurstad
hurstad New Reader
11/15/19 3:12 p.m.

The wheel looks just like the one I got for my Dad's 64 Chevy SS convertible from JC Whitney!

elramaed
elramaed New Reader
11/15/19 6:14 p.m.

Great memories. I grew up a few miles from Yenko Chevrolet although I was a diehard Ford fan. In the late 60’s western PA was car crazy.  My buddy’s brother was the racing mechanic for Pankopf Ford a few miles away.  They were big into drag racing and their 427 big Fords were hard to beat at nearby Heidleburg Raceway.  I got into road racing when Shelby came along and watched many races from the pits at Cumberland airport which doubled as a racetrack.  A friend raced a 289 Cobra and it was unbeatable.  My girlfriend, now wife of 51 years, and I spent every Saturday night at the dirt track in South Park    This article brought back a lot of memories.  We still have a 92 Miata, 58 Bugeye, and a Fox body Mustang gt in the family

wspohn
wspohn Dork
11/16/19 4:12 p.m.

A friend raced one - said they had a penchant for shedding fan belts at inopportune moments....

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/22/19 9:02 a.m.
GTXVette said:

Be Still My Pounding Heart !!!!!!    Oh God a wave of Memories from my Early years 69-71,   Wallens did you ever ride the back way from Virginia Highlands over to Emory, Great roads.  'Cause you said Automod.

You know, I believe I did. I lived in Virginia Highlands and had a good friend at Emory. Back then I had my Sentra SE-R. Great car. 

YenkoYS100
YenkoYS100 New Reader
12/19/19 10:06 a.m.

Glad Jay came over to the dark side! Great cars at any speed! 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LYKEXAf5J3M95ZbnTRhsKruIaxqx9cpWtBADj07zZKKvBJYZ3aCoBuYbxZ6qt8Lc