Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
9/24/18 3:55 p.m.

This story ran in an old issue of Classic Motorsports. Want to make sure you're reading all the latest stories? Subscribe now.

Story and Photos by Tim Suddard

By any modern standard, the MG T-series falls short. From an ergonomic, performance or even comfort perspective, its driver is left wanting for more. The T-series lacks niceties like roll-up windows, triple-digit horsepower and modern handling.

And yet, after launching the postwar sports car boom here in the States, all these decades later the T-series remains a staple at nearly any British car event. What is it about this simple machine that continues to captivate the soul of sports car aficionados the world over? We spent a day at T-series supply house Abingdon Spares to find out.

The visit reminded us why the T-series continues to have so many fans. While one will not win any numbers contests, the details found from stem to stern define the sports car experience. Then add in low running costs, mechanical simplicity and extensive parts availability. It could be just the perfect time machine, no matter what the occasion.

Read the rest of the story

frenchyd
frenchyd SuperDork
9/25/18 6:47 a.m.

In 1962 I acquired my MGTD. Since then it’s been my friend and carried me to and in many racing adventures.  Plus all over the country and even overseas.  

I learned from it that maintenance was important and little things like cleaning the contact points on the fuel pump paid massive rewards in reliability.  

The Poor SU fuel pump which endures regular beatings as frustrated owners attempt to get a little more use out of a sadly neglected item, when a 1 minute pass with a folded piece of sand  paper will easily give them years more use.  

The same apples to contact points and the dashpots filled with the correct oil.  In fact my car has benefited  from normal maintenance and in exchange given me decades of fun and pleasure. Even the maintenance is pleasant often done on a dreary rainy day when driving would be a miserable experience. 

In 1986 I met a man who had pulled his MGTC special out of his garage loaded it up and driven to a vintage sports car race.  

What was remarkable was it was winter in New England when he left and he drove down to the Bahama’s  raced all week and then drove back. At age 84! 

russellsifers
russellsifers New Reader
3/7/19 9:44 p.m.

The MG has been called "The Sports Car America Loved First" at least after WWII.  I am the steward of TC #8875 and I still love it after 48 years.  Here is some interesting MG history: The first SCCA sanctioned race was held at Watkins Glen, NY on October 2, 1948.  Around 35 cars tried to enter, but only 15 qualified for that first race.  Ten cars finished the race.  Eight of the ten cars that finished were 1948 MG TCs!

I enjoy driving my TC year round.  But I really love running it at the Lake Garnett Grand Prix Revival each October.  Imagine a 70 year old MG driven by a 71 year old guy who hit 72 mph last year.  What do they say about driving a slow car fast...?  

Our Preferred Partners
UE1xUYjoAidjc022U69ltuRmNLc7uU5pkPYCBtZ0q0ao5Vg0sGUwNUaDVwHU8qXo