the staff of Motorsport Marketing
the staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
3/31/16 10:07 a.m.

To create a world-class GT, starting in 1980 Alfa Romeo grabbed their four-cylinder Alfetta GT and injected a 2.5-liter V6. Compared to the four-cylinder cars, the GTV6 is easily identifiable thanks to its iconic hood bulge and pitch-perfect exhaust tone. U.S. imports started for the 1981 model year.

EXPERTS:
Joe Cabibbo and Robert Steele
Centerline International
(303) 447-0239
centerlinealfa.com

In …

Read the rest of the story

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
4/1/16 11:11 a.m.

Paging Hungry Bill.... is the above accurate???

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/1/16 12:22 p.m.

I believe the total Callaway build count was right at 50 cars. I had the opportunity to do some work on one about 15 years ago. It surprised quite a few people on the street and made awesome noises. I did manage to get a copy of the Callaway build info that the owner kept with the car.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/7/16 9:58 a.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

yeah, very accurate! Now that begs the question: Where was this article when I bought my car!?! (hacks in the electrical, rust, ....)

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
4/7/16 10:06 a.m.
Hungary Bill wrote: In reply to oldeskewltoy: yeah, very accurate! Now that begs the question: Where was this article when I bought my car!?! (hacks in the electrical, rust, ....)

Thanks!--- and yes, Joe Cabbibo and the guys at Centerline International know Alfas inside and out. It's great to have resources like them and Vick Auto when venturing into the intimidating world of Italian car ownership. It's reassuring to know that there's help when you run into issues.

and we always do our best to publish accurate information

GLK
GLK New Reader
2/19/19 7:10 p.m.

The reason for a bit of confusion on the production numbers of Callaway GTV6’s is because 30 cars were built by Callaway at his facility in Connecticut and 20ish more were assembled off-site at various dealerships. Search Jay Leno’s Garage on YouTube “2016 Callaway Corvette Aerowagon” at 15 minutes 38 seconds Reeves Callaway makes an appearance and gives a nicely detailed history of their Alfa GTV6 Turbo Project complete with pictures. It’s worth watching.

https://youtu.be/YHzBpvyfqVs 

Apologies in advance to any Maserati Biturbo fans out there. Jay and Reeves are merciless in poking fun at those cars.

GLK
GLK New Reader
2/19/19 7:33 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin : Thanks for featuring one of my favorite cars. Mine has no rust or electrical gremlins. Intimidating? Ha! I go forth unafraid.

86blkspider
86blkspider None
2/20/19 9:16 a.m.

Love the Alfa GTV6.

I attended Auburn University. We had a dealer there, University Motor Cars.  They sold only imports and specifically sportscars and specialties. They were new car dealers for Alfa, Fiat, British Leyland, and more.  It was not unusual to see a Lotus, Ferrari or Maserati sitting on the lot in the 1980’s. I was a penniless student but still visited often.

I bought my Black 86 Alfa Graduate there in 1989.  I remember the salesman’s name too!  Brian Chad.  He was an Englishman.  

Brian also sold a Black 86(?) Callaway GTV6 to one of my teammates.  A guy named Bo Jackson.  Remember “Bo Knows”?  Yes that Bo Jackson.  I will have to ask him what happened to that Callaway someday.

pyrce
pyrce None
2/23/19 10:53 a.m.

have had a GTV6 for many years. Reliable,fun  daily summer driver. Best upgrade ever made was a stiffer front sway bar from OKP.  What a diifernce on the turn in and less body roll.  Also converted rear light clusters to homemade hardwired LED bulb setup as the OEM bulb sockets always losing contact. No worries about failiing inspection or getting pulled over anymore for lights 

GLK
GLK New Reader
2/25/19 7:01 a.m.

In reply to pyrce :

I think I will try that. Is your sway bar 27mm?

howieb4
howieb4
5/16/23 1:47 p.m.

I think you there is a typo in the article. It should read there are three common areas that don't rust

CaptWSims
CaptWSims GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/10/23 11:48 a.m.

I first had an Alfetta.  Sold an Austin-Healey at a collector car auction and made the Alfetta into an autocross and track car.  Bought an '82 GTV-6 for $1000 with idea of making it into a race car also.  Had the 3.42 diffy, and was not as quick as my Alfetta, so made it my daily driver.  After 2 rear-end, accidnets it was totaled, and with the proceeds I bought a Milano Verde.  Ended up making a race car out of the Milano, crashed it, and bought an '01 GTV-6 that had a burnt exhaust valve but great body and interior.  Put a spare 3 liter in it and later sold it, to my great regret.  The GTV-6 had almost the same suspension as the race Alfetta and my Wife hated it!  I still miss that car and still do not understand why I sold it.  Was 2 seconds/lap at NOLA Motorsports Park than my modified BMW E-46 M3.  And looked and sounded great!  As for rust, the car had none.  Bought in Los Angeles and I live near New Orleans, so has never been on salt.  And I have no idea who the guy in the pic is.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
6/11/23 12:57 p.m.

Had a friend that scored one of these. Owner was disgusted with it because he figured it had blown the clutch and sold it for $500.  Apparently that is a lot of work on this model. Friend bought it, checked it over and stuck in a $15 clutch slave rubber kit  and fired it up and drove away!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Q2EJRQY1VQH37rnen55a0OdP99kNmnnP6aDCzfnnT5BzZPfoyD1ktioIscROEC6