Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
11/17/08 7:41 a.m.

Of all the British sports cars that appeared in the ’50s and ’60s, one of the most desirable has always been the big Austin Healey—the name derives from comparison to the tiny Sprite. The big Healey’s combination of low, sleek styling and a glorious exhaust note is irresistible.

Many great sports cars are known to express the vision and personality …

Read the rest of the story

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
3/18/11 2:51 p.m.

Had a 3000 beater back in the early 70's for a short while when at college. Sold it for $300. cracked frame and all.

jerrygardner1967
jerrygardner1967 None
11/2/12 4:56 p.m.

love the big healys, used to have a 100-6, top falling in while driveing, window sailing out going down the road, racing MGBs,. not good at autocrossing, but truly a fun car and one I will always remember. Would love to have a 66, or 67 3000, you know roll up windows, fold down top.

Randy_Forbes
Randy_Forbes New Reader
7/8/19 9:54 p.m.

Your statement "Body panels should be examined for originality; each panel was stamped with the car’s serial number, so matching numbers takes on a whole new meaning here." requires a little clarification.

The hood has a body # stamped on the LH hinge mount, hood catch latch has the body # stamped on it, and the trunk lid has the body # stamped on the prop rod piviot attachment point.  The 4-cyl cars and earliest 6-cyl cars have their body # stamped on the backside of the cockpit trim.

The chassis has a different number stamped on the RH front shock mount (BJ8s actually have their VIN on the outboard side).

But that's it as far as matching numbers go.

I've owned BN6L/942 ever since I worked at Austin-Healey West in San Francisco in the late 70s (bought the Healey on April 1st, 1978__no joke).

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
7/8/19 9:59 p.m.

Been following this team as they prepared and then drove from Peeking to Paris. Just completed the trip last week-end.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
whyYXSHhWAKKuy7WrMKxJ4ybuEvZ32iyFOz52FLojaKNkBYuhfnm4V7C9Bd2OUtL