AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
2/18/15 2:13 p.m.

Boo. (As in ghost BOO!)

So to summarize 2014 was a painful year for me. Crashed the race car and never really drove the GT6.

For 2015 I'm not going racing. May never put a helmet back on either. Who knows. But I am focusing some attention on the GT6. I spent a fair chunk of change getting some new front calipers which I will install shortly.

Basically my hope is to go over the car and get it back for a state where I trusted the car. Last summer the tires were pretty well done and the "patch" job on the brakes never made me happy.

So fingers crossed I might actually have to spend money and fill up the tank a few times this year.

Pending we actually have a summer.

Gary
Gary HalfDork
2/18/15 2:35 p.m.

Andre, welcome back after a long absence. Maybe you should change your avatar back to the original one. Or actually, that last pic above would be perfect!

Rupert
Rupert Dork
2/18/15 2:36 p.m.

In reply to AndreGT6: It, the car, looks good. And yes life does get sometimes get in the way of fun! We're pretty much all in the same boat at one time or another in that regard.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
2/19/15 8:27 a.m.

Yeah hanging up the helmet even for a short time is hard but my wife let me come to the decision on my own (some gentle coaching along the way). The pure simple fact is I got hurt.

So yeah not putting myself or my wallet at risk again. Mind you I've not been idle. Been enjoying other more high tech hobbies as of late.

In the mean time the FIAT waits.

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
2/19/15 12:22 p.m.

Buddy and I are building up a TR8 for racing. Our philosophy is if we write the car off then we're out of racing. Nobody ever said it was a poor man's sport.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
2/19/15 3:05 p.m.

Bummer about the Fiat....but I always thought your GT6 is probably the best looking car on here. Here's hoping for a better year in 2015!

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
2/19/15 4:43 p.m.

On the plus side I no longer need to buy a truck ;)

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
2/19/15 4:54 p.m.

Wow...had to do a time reality check to see how far back the GT6 goes back in time. I recall when it went together.

I can relate to putting the passion on the shelf for a while. My GT is kinda on the back-burner on my give a damn scale even though it if finally needs nothing. (well, as much as any LBC can need nothing)

TR8owner
TR8owner HalfDork
2/19/15 9:45 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME:

Always considered the GT6 styling to be along the lines of the Jag E type coupe or 240Z in terms of sexiness. IMHO the most desirable is the GT6+. Total sweat box on hot summer days however.

AndreGT6
AndreGT6 SuperDork
2/20/15 5:22 a.m.

Yep 14 years of ownership this spring. Not sure if we are getting spring this year mind you.

TR let me know if you are looking for parts. - Belts, transponder, fuel cell, tires and so on.

Marty
Marty New Reader
2/20/15 10:44 a.m.

Dang, so sorry to hear about the race car. I was hoping we would cross paths some day at the track. I was just thinking the other day that it had been a long time since I saw a post from you. Hang in there. I totaled my 6 back in 2008. Migrated through a TR8, Miata, and Vintage Race Spitfire. Still have the Miata, Spitfire and the drivetrain out of the TR6. I hope to FINALLY start building another TR6 this summer. You should drive the GT6 down to the Kastner Cup at Summit Point in May. There will be a big turnout of Triumphs there.

Marty

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
2/21/15 12:27 a.m.

I've been racing 30 years now.......seems like yesterday when I went round Willow Spings on my motorcycle but I totally understand why people give it up. Even doing it on the cheap like I have for so many years it is still a good chunk of change, used tires $300 a set mounted (I get 4 weekends out of them), entry fee is $350-$500 and $150 gas for car and tow vehicle. So you are still talking $600 to $750 for a local race Track days can be a good alternative as there is no motivation to have the latest goodies on the car......go out and have fun. So I ask myself what kind of cool classic street car could I have for all this, naturally I realize I'd rather go racing but again I get why people,give it up. Andre enjoy the time if you get back to racing them fine if not you'll have fun with the GT-6.........darn the luck stuck driving a stylish old car.....it may be tough to deal with. Tom

PS I spent $800 for this past weekends race not counting the $300 I am spending tomorrow to replace the stone chipped / cracked windshield.........I ran up front so my ego says its worth every penny.

OFracing
OFracing Reader
2/27/15 6:43 p.m.

Andre, sorry to hear about the race car but I'm glad you didn't race the GT6, that would have been a really big emotional blow in addition to the financial and physical ones you already have.

I agree with Marty's invite, clean up the GT6 and come down to the Kastner cup in May. PM me, I should have a crew slot available.

mike

Gary
Gary HalfDork
3/13/15 8:47 p.m.

Andre, if it's any consolation to you, there's a great picture of you and the Fiat going through Mosport's Turn 5 in Vintage Motorsport's "Year in Photos" from the 2014 season, bottom of page 84. Great picture by John Walker. You look smooth! VM's Year in Photos is a separate magazine and just came today along with the regular issue of VM. Congratulations!

I think you'll have to contact VM to get a copy of this special issue because it only goes to subscribers, unless you're already a subscriber. It's a fantastic supplement to their regular subscription.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
4/13/15 11:54 a.m.
AndreGT6 wrote: Yep 14 years of ownership this spring. Not sure if we are getting spring this year mind you. TR let me know if you are looking for parts. - Belts, transponder, fuel cell, tires and so on.

Damn on the advice of another member here I've been eagerly reading up on your car. I'm very sorry to see how this turned out. I just started building one of my own. If you are parting it out I would be interested in giving the car new life! Please let me know and again I'm very sorry to see this.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
4/13/15 11:55 a.m.
AndreGT6 wrote: Yep 14 years of ownership this spring. Not sure if we are getting spring this year mind you. TR let me know if you are looking for parts. - Belts, transponder, fuel cell, tires and so on.

Damn on the advice of another member here I've been eagerly reading up on your car. I'm very sorry to see how this turned out. I just started building one of my own. If you are parting it out I would be interested in giving the car new life! Please let me know and again I'm very sorry to see this.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W9t495pWnYFvezD1oJwErQSGsUvPgSvlZmZNQxjKdnRZDf0kA1jMgipp5TkxZMQ3