Peter Brock
Peter Brock
7/31/20 8:19 a.m.

Read Part 1 here.

Carroll Shelby’s incredible success with just two of his GT Class Daytona Cobra Coupes against the full might of Enzo Ferrari’s 250 GTOs in 1964 had proved to the world–and to most of top management in Dearborn–that the Texan’s tiny California-based team had the guts, intellect and experience to go against Enzo’s Prototypes for the overall …

Read the rest of the story

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress
7/31/20 10:09 p.m.

Reading this is so much better than that movie. It's a striking car, but it really does make you wonder what it would have looked like if completed in Modena to Brock's specifications. 

russellsifers
russellsifers New Reader
4/30/21 2:29 p.m.

I remember seeing (and photographing) Craig Sutherland's car racing in the 1984-4 Folly Grand Prix here in KC.  I think Bondurant drove it.  I remember when my cousin in law Craig fired it up to let me hear it up close, the earth shook.  That explained to me why Craig did not drive it.  Russ Sifers

shadetree30
shadetree30 HalfDork
9/11/22 2:14 p.m.

Not to quibble but wasn't the Ferrari that ran in '65 the 330 P2 ?

sfisher71
sfisher71 New Reader
9/13/22 7:10 p.m.

In reply to shadetree30 :

No -- the winning Ferrari in 1965 was the 250LM driven by Masten Gregory, Jochen Rindt, and Ed Hugus. It was on display at Monterey Car Week 2022, and I took about a squillion photos of it, including a close-up of the patina on the nose for the cover of the magazine I edit. This side view shows the shape -- not as sensual as the 330, but remember, this was when Enzo was trying to convince the FIA that the 250LM was just a rebody of the 250 GTO. (Pay no attention to the engine under the rear cover...)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PfgkKemNnzhDQFaX9IdPvtxXzuWvIbkcs29Bco3tuBmN1PMMPD2pkj5V1NrrlHNX