1 2
theshopeac
theshopeac New Reader
1/7/11 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Andy Reid:

Steering rack, pedal box, and flipping the dash, Dash is probably the easiest part, prime time to convert it to a wood face. Wiring would likely flip, or easy enough to modify. Rack is triumph based, but I can't remember which car. I do know that inner tie rods are not a direct crossover to a TR6 or the like. The column shaft passes through a bearing welded to the chassis, again, easy enough to do. I never changed a pedal box and cannot remember where they are from. Then there are brake lines, but that stuff is just details really. Still, not an impossible job, especially with the resources available. Looks like a nice car, and really rare here.

Jesse in DC

JeffT
JeffT New Reader
1/7/11 5:46 p.m.

I suggest you check the cars at www.wirewheel.com

My TVR is a pre M or TVR 2500 which has the TR6 drivetrain. I bought the car three years ago as a low mileage original car. No rust on the chassy, I have spent the last three years restoring the car in an attempt to get the most out of it (I run with the Lotus Club). Almost done.

The poor build quality point. It depends on your objective. When your doing 30 it feels like 50. Not a luxury ride, more of a sporting ride.

With the TR6 drivetrain you will have the same issues as the TR6.

I agree it is like a Lotus in one way... buy the best one you can find. If you buy a cheap car you will end up spending the money anyway getting the car in shape.

If you intend to put a V8 in the car your going to have to upgrade everything else. Tranny, rear end, suspension, brakes.

mzell
mzell
7/12/21 3:45 p.m.

In reply to bravenrace :

Bravenrace, 

I just signed up. I was basically gifted a '74 TVR 2500M 5 years ago from my oldest friend. His dad, Bob had yanked out the 6 banger and slipped in a 289 and a 4 speed. He was a true mechanical genius. His homemade exhaust headers are works of art. Anyway, I have yet to pull the body off what looks to be a fairly decent tube frame. I have pulled the glass and gas tank. Had the tank washed out, will acid treat and coat next. 

I'm having some issues with the brakes (have replaced calipers, etc but not the proportioning valve). Also trying to source suspension bushings, namely the front sway bar bushings, might you know where I can find those?

My initial objective is to get her to run and stop safely then, decide if I want to do more from there. This needs to remain a small budget project so, I will likely go for a sympathetic restoration possibly leaning towards a weathered, period correct race look.

I'm hoping that maybe you could steer me towards a few parts sources. Thanks 

Mike

Gary
Gary UltraDork
7/12/21 7:52 p.m.

In reply to mzell :

This is an OLD thread and a lot of the posters are no longer active. However, I've communicated with bravenrace privately within the past year or so, so you could try reaching out to him in a PM.

mzell
mzell New Reader
7/13/21 11:13 a.m.

Thanks Gary,

Might you know his contact info?

Mike

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
7/13/21 12:33 p.m.

The Griffith club used to have a parts application list - the cars were always 'bitsa' cars and used a bit from this and a bit from that car, and if you knew what a part originally came from you have an easier time than if you ask for a specific TVR part.  Most partsmen today won't know and don't care unless it is a common car they have a microfiche or computer record for.

Gary
Gary UltraDork
7/16/21 6:43 a.m.
mzell said:

Thanks Gary,

Might you know his contact info?

Mike

Go to his profile page and click on "contact." The request will go through the Classic Motorsport forum and out to his last email of record. As of about a year ago it still was his valid email.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KfQJP82U8nF2PPPYJxkNvQA499nRqkPhQjJjKc8b1h6X59eF4sdyYGvYv83g0L9S