David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/30/13 8:02 a.m.

Guides like this start to fuel the imagination:

http://classicmotorsports.net/articles/depreciation-station-ferrari-550-maranello/

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/30/13 3:07 p.m.

Hush you!

I've been drooling over one of these since wearymicrobe mentioned them in around the same time this article was published.

Maybe in a few years...

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
9/30/13 5:04 p.m.

I had no idea these had gotten so cheap! I see one every so often driving around town. It's stunning in person and sounds great. I could've gone all day without knowing this.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
10/1/13 9:13 a.m.

Strange, but of the newer Ferrari's, that is one of the few I would want. Front engine and gated shifter for the win.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/1/13 9:53 a.m.

Me thinks buying one is just the start of the costs...

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
10/1/13 10:07 a.m.

Well... the article does mention around $3000/year in maintenance costs... And unless my work situation changes, I'd probably budget considerably more than that if I were to use it as a 3.5 season DD, which IMHO, would be the point of buying one. I'd figure on having a 24K service done every year, dropping it off at the shop after the first snow fall.

Gary
Gary Reader
10/1/13 12:03 p.m.

I agree with Bravenrace and Ian. Also, in addition to maintenance costs, the initial 7% state sales tax and local annual vehicle tax in my area would kill the deal ... several thou a year! And not to mention insurance. It's folly to think the average enthusiast can afford a Ferrari even at these "cheap" prices But to go a step further, even if I was inclined to tie up that kind of dough in a vehicle, it certainly wouldn't be a Ferrari.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
10/1/13 3:12 p.m.

I followed a 458 through town the other day and It sounded glorious!

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
10/1/13 3:26 p.m.

In reply to chandlerGTi:

No argument there.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
10/1/13 3:51 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: Me thinks buying one is just the start of the costs...

And that my friend is why I'll never won one (without winning the powerball).

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/1/13 8:56 p.m.

Drool....

I can't believe these are trading for that kind of cash.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
10/2/13 7:12 a.m.

The thing to do would be buy the best one with service records and sit on it for a few years.

Jerry From LA
Jerry From LA Dork
10/2/13 12:41 p.m.

To repeat: Buying a 550 Maranello is one thing. Owning one is another.

gjz30075
gjz30075 Reader
10/3/13 6:21 a.m.
Jerry From LA wrote: To repeat: Buying a 550 Maranello is one thing. Owning one is another.

Correct! It owns you!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CmgB842ZPJHiwYF1tQ6oPzMbbygMq8xDpBMi4OMcgFjktHCQ3bwZCS8OSxhOWtBi