Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
2/27/08 4:21 p.m.

I've posted a few more images, and information on the project 1974 TR-6 (check out the project car pages). I'm currently debating if I should go the supercharged route, or keep the car naturally aspirated.

What do you guys think? There is nothing quite like the sound of a TR-6 with a healthy cam, carbs and exhaust, but the supercharger does offer a ton of bang for not too much buck.

any ideas/ suggestions?

aeronca65t
aeronca65t None
2/27/08 4:46 p.m.

Number One thing to do with those cars: Grab the front vibration damper/pulley (car in neutral) and pull it forward and backward.

If it moves more than about 0.013" fore-and-aft, drop the pan and replace the thrust washers. It's a pretty easy job. And a common problem.

I've seen those cars with low mileage where the thrust washers have gotten loose and have fallen in the oil pan. If that happens, you'll be buying a crank in short order.

Spitfire engines have the same issue (they are basically 2/3 of a TR-6 engine).

Joe Gearin
2/27/08 6:30 p.m.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Before I bought the car, Sam at Brit Bits informed me that the thrust washers were out of tolerance. I had them replace the washers before I picked the car up. They gave the car a nice once over as well. (oil change, front wheel bearing re-pack, tune-up.

I was willing to take the chance of driving the car a long distance, but I wanted my odds of making it to be reasonable.

Bryan
Bryan
2/28/08 12:34 p.m.

Question: How is the cooling system on TR6's? I've heard and seen certain sportcars have marginal cooling systems. How much extra heat does a blower add under the hood? My old '79 turbo Mustang could get pretty hot under the hood and that was a basic model w/ big factory radiator. But I never had overheating problems with it.

Joe Gearin
2/29/08 10:04 a.m.

So far, I haven't had any cooling issues with the TR-6. Granted, I haven't been stuck in any L.A., Atlanta, or Chicago style traffic jams, but so far, so good.

I'm sure the blower adds a bit of heat, but our Moss Supercharged TR-6 (March issue of CMS) hasn't had any cooling issues. Basically, if your cooling system is in good shape before the supercharger install, you should be fine. If the cooling system is weak, the blower will amplify the problems.

racerdave600
racerdave600
2/29/08 10:36 a.m.

Love the TR6, keep the updates coming! I can still smell the leather and wood from my 4A, and that was 20 years ago!

Jack
Jack None
3/3/08 2:15 p.m.

Joe,

If you are ever into the engine, have the thrust washers pinned. Basically, the block is drilled for pins, as is the thrust washer, so they can't every "fall" out. Not necessary, but good insurance.

Jack

Joe Gearin
3/3/08 3:18 p.m.

Jack,

Thanks for the advice. I'm sure I'll get into the engine sooner than later, and I'll make sure the washers are pinned. I'm planning on attending to some cosmetic issues first,(seats, top, rust repair) and then tackling the mechanical improvements.

Jack
Jack None
3/5/08 2:18 p.m.

Joe,

Your comments about cosmetics are funny to me, as I always pick a mechanical system a year, until it is 100%, then go after the cosmetics, unless they are hideous, although the top is a critical item most afternoons, if you are in SE FL.

Different strokes. . . .

Jack

Edit - Oops, I just read about the car. It's pretty mechanically sound, but cosmetically challenged.

Joe Gearin
3/5/08 3:38 p.m.

Agreed, a top is a good thing to have in FLA.

Fortunately, although the original top is pretty beat, it is watertight. (with help from Duct tape!). That said, a new top is on my short list, as are seat covers. Mechanically, the car is pretty stout, but I'll be digging into it eventually. I'll probably switch the points to a Pertronix setup, and give it a really thorough tune to start things off.

trboost
trboost None
3/7/08 8:48 p.m.

Do it Joe. The basic TR6 is so much fun to drive, now imagine giving it "Super Powers". With the resources available from Classic Motorsports & your mechanical skils, the TR6 can be transformed in to a real modern day contendor.

The problem is not getting started, It's where to stop. One thing leads to another & each modification enhances the next. Uh oh, I feel like going in to the garage and try that new SU needle, will I never be satisfied.

Best of luck, have fun.

Joe Gearin
3/10/08 9:09 a.m.

I know what you mean TRboost. I got a chance to drive a Moss supercharged TR250 in the Mountains outside of Denver a few years ago, and instantly was hooked. The car is fun stock, but just ridiculous with the extra power.

Of course if/when I install the supercharger, the extra ooomph will shine a light on all the other areas that can be improved. (brakes, suspension, exhaust) The journey may be neverending, but at least the trip will be a fun one!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Q2qFjeDqiEGCzSDvkSHmxX0VbFm9m2GVF7J22cuPeWcoawcf2LSl3kLDeI0oxP1