Scott Lear
Scott Lear
4/21/08 12:00 p.m.

They're only looking out for our best interests.

Every year the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration spends cubic hectares of cash researching the nation's highways and byways to determine what the speed limit should be on a given stretch of asphalt. We ignore the research and go faster anyway. We know it's wrong, and we know there can be very …

Read the rest of the story

giannboy
giannboy
12/6/12 9:03 p.m.

Thanks for the article. I am so tired of no-nothings bashing these cars. I have a 1989 Spyder which is a GREAT car to drive...and much more reliable than people think (once you get it right and maintain it...Duuuhhh!). In our silly minivan, Prius driven world, I'll take my Spyder

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/28/19 1:47 p.m.

Bumping back to the top. One of my favorite articles; I was happy to digitize most of the photos. 

Enjoy!

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/28/19 2:44 p.m.

Also, I should note that the web article has all of the photos. 

KG_Hughes
KG_Hughes
7/1/19 9:26 p.m.

Great article, one that deserves an update!  It would also be great to know if any of these autos are legal to register in California (I know, I know!  Some folks are going to grown over this).  Bringing cars into CA from other states is a problem, unless they’re 1974 or earlier, or much more recent and smog compliant to CA standards (I think there are 11 other states that follow CA smog standards).

The BMW 2002tii that was listed wasn’t and as I understand, still not a car you can register for road use here (Masny of us would love to!).

We do have plenty of fun cars, and ours tend not to rust!

GLK
GLK New Reader
7/1/19 9:57 p.m.

All of the cars on the list except the under appreciated Porsche and BMW were deeply flawed. The DeTomaso era Biturbo in particular was an affront to all Maseratis that came before it. Survivors should be put out of their misery along with the Chrysler-Maserati (gussied up LeBaron) w/portal window top. The gen II Corvair was a genuinely pretty car, inversely the first gen MGs were nice albeit haunted by the prince of darkness. I knew someone that purchased a TR7 brand new. Oh, the troubles he saw. Unless the ad meant bankruptcy it was definitely not The Shape of Things to Come. A shame it couldn’t hold a candle to its predecessors. Sometimes there are good reasons why certain cars bomb in the marketplace and they should probably be left for dead.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
7/4/19 11:59 a.m.

Currrently I have both a 1974 2002 and a 1982 320, the earlier cars do have a unique driving experience. Visability, lots of it.  The seating in the car and the thin roof pilars combine to inhance the view.  What the car lacks, you find in the 320.

Many a E21 have given up their 5 speed, Recaro seats and limited slip differential to the '02 that now comands the $10,000 plus price of entry.  But with the 320 you also enjoy, from the factory; electronic ignition, fuel injection, bigger front brakes and fenders that will cover 15x7 rims. 

Yes, they are heaver.  Yes the perfect E21 is a 323, with the M20.  Then much like Lego's, it can all be fixed.  But if you are willing to drive a 1.8 liter M10 above 3600 RPM, you will be rewarded!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iH3PhVlXRWAWuQ9CtmJjizT7CdSgkwWc62MEzptkNMcAMOW0aFjHjTVfQuqSkCVn