1 2
Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/18 10:53 a.m.
SVreX said:

What makes a car a classic?

I can't afford it.

But you could have bought a dozen for pocket change 10 years ago.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/27/18 3:21 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to dherr :

In my opinion.....

E-Types have made the leap to investment vehicles. I don't see them falling off that perch unless we have an economic collapse.

You don't own a Jag cause you want to drive one ( cause objectively they really are not that great to drive) you own one because you expect it to go up in value and there is status ( value) in being able to claim you own one.

There are few enough good E-types left that they wont saturate the market as the owners cash out of the game. Unless of course something happens that reverses the world population growth. Pretty sure you will get a good deal on one then.

Clearly we don’t see eye to eye on the Jaguar E type. Nor is your opinion shared by most informed auto reporters. 

The XKE has been described by Enzo Ferrari  as the most beautiful automotive design of all time.  Also described as the best crumpet catcher known to man.  

As far as performance in it’s day it was better than anything else.  Time marches on and the best of 1961 isn’t going to be the best of 2018.  Anymore than the best of 2018 is going to be the best of 2075 ( same # of years) 

With regard money in the early 1970’s I bought XK-E’s that today would sell for $160,000 for as little as $300. ( why didn’t I wrap a few up to sell today?) 

Probably the same reason I didn’t buy Duesenburgs in the 1950’s for $500.  Or Apple stock when first offered.  Today Duesenburgs change hands for 10’s of millions of dollars.  

Right now there are cars that in the future will command  insane prices.  If you’re smart you’ll put a few in your financial  portfolio. But the chance of you getting it right are the same chances of you picking a winning stock.  

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/27/18 3:51 p.m.
NOHOME said:

In reply to Ian F :

They are. You cant give away Brit cars anymore unless they are perceived to be an investment.

But then again, Classic status is akin to "God" status. once attained, it is forever. i.e. People may not worship or pay tithe to the old Norse Gods anymore, but they get to keep the title for as long as they are remembered. I believe Neil Gaiman covered the topic in "American Gods"

Pete

Pete,  look  at MGTC’s.  A nice driver is in the mid $30,000. While a pristine MGTF 1500 WILL sell for about the same money.  Prices of Austin Healy’s haven’t bottomed out nor will they.  Children and grandchildren will remember fondly those rides and trips.  The market won’t be flooded because there isn’t a surplus. 

Yes cars of us  babyboomers are aging out of the investment market.  That does not mean they are worthless.  Any more than great grandpa’s Model A Ford roadster will sell for chump change in spite of the millions sold worldwide.  

People with no prior exposure to cars of that sort will desire them because they are the same cookie cutter mass produced items found at every corner car lot.  

Old  Model A Ford’s  

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/27/18 4:41 p.m.
frenchyd said:
NOHOME said:

In reply to dherr :

In my opinion.....

E-Types have made the leap to investment vehicles. I don't see them falling off that perch unless we have an economic collapse.

You don't own a Jag cause you want to drive one ( cause objectively they really are not that great to drive) you own one because you expect it to go up in value and there is status ( value) in being able to claim you own one.

There are few enough good E-types left that they wont saturate the market as the owners cash out of the game. Unless of course something happens that reverses the world population growth. Pretty sure you will get a good deal on one then.

Clearly we don’t see eye to eye on the Jaguar E type. Nor is your opinion shared by most informed auto reporters. 

The XKE has been described by Enzo Ferrari  as the most beautiful automotive design of all time.  Also described as the best crumpet catcher known to man.  

As far as performance in it’s day it was better than anything else.  Time marches on and the best of 1961 isn’t going to be the best of 2018.  Anymore than the best of 2018 is going to be the best of 2075 ( same # of years)  You don't own a Jag cause you want to drive one ( cause objectively they really are not that great to drive)

With regard money in the early 1970’s I bought XK-E’s that today would sell for $160,000 for as little as $300. ( why didn’t I wrap a few up to sell today?)   E-Types have made the leap to investment vehicles. I don't see them falling off that perch unless we have an economic collapse.

Probably the same reason I didn’t buy Duesenburgs in the 1950’s for $500.  Or Apple stock when first offered.  Today Duesenburgs change hands for 10’s of millions of dollars.  

Right now there are cars that in the future will command  insane prices.  If you’re smart you’ll put a few in your financial  portfolio. But the chance of you getting it right are the same chances of you picking a winning stock.  There are few enough good E-types left that they wont saturate the market as the owners cash out of the game.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think we are saying the same thing.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/27/18 4:55 p.m.
NOHOME said:
frenchyd said:
NOHOME said:

In reply to dherr :

In my opinion.....

As far as performance in it’s day it was better than anything else.  Time marches on and the best of 1961 isn’t going to be the best of 2018.  Anymore than the best of 2018 is going to be the best of 2075 ( same # of years)  You don't own a Jag cause you want to drive one ( cause objectively they really are not that great to drive)

With regard money in the early 1970’s I bought XK-E’s that today would sell for $160,000 for as little as $300. ( why didn’t I wrap a few up to sell today?)   E-Types have made the leap to investment vehicles. I don't see them falling off that perch unless we have an economic collapse.

Right now there are cars that in the future will command  insane prices.  If you’re smart you’ll put a few in your financial  portfolio. But the chance of you getting it right are the same chances of you picking a winning stock.  There are few enough good E-types left that they wont saturate the market as the owners cash out of the game.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think we are saying the same thing.

Not if you feel that the only reason to own a XKE is for profits and status

Have you ever watched Jay Leno’s video’s? Clearly there is a guy who doesn’t care about profit or status. He convey’s well the pleasure of owning and driving the cars he has. 

While some do own cars for profit and status. There are at least as many people who own for driving pleasure and the joy of ownership.  I’m not even sure status is very big on peoples minds.  If so it tends to be very obscure status.  Only within a tiny subset of owners of that particular marque.  

Let me say this though.  Communicating on the internet is an extremely limited way of talking. I can’t see your tone, inflection, attitude.  

We may feel exactly the same about things but instead focus on a particular word selection. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/27/18 6:07 p.m.

In reply to frenchyd :

Agreed on the internet messaging and to those that do not know me, my sense of humor can go all wrong. 

E-Type was my dream car into my 40's. Then I drove a series II. End of that dream.  Still love the looks, but I would rather drive the FRS any day over  the Jag. Crumpet collector? Mayhaps, but those bumpy creatures wear high heels and make-up; they want nothing to do with reality.

Pete

frenchyd
frenchyd UltraDork
11/27/18 7:12 p.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

The series 2 E type was the weak sister of the three.   210 hp compared to 265  With the series 3 going from gross horsepower to net horsepower it still was rated 284 hp with 294 ft pds of torque. Pollution regulations removed that third carb and reduced the size of the remaining 2 While weakening the fuel mixture and altering the timing . 

Safety regulations also impacted it negatively removing some of the sleekness in the name of safety.

That was also the era of labor unrest. Poorly paid workers forced due to economic reality accept wages not keeping pace with inflation and the cost of living fighting with management further and further removed from the realities of the business world. 

As a result strikes and poor quality control in a industry forced to work harder and faster.  In short cars left the factory in less than ideal condition counting on a poorly trained workforce here in the States to make everything right.  

So you prefer a FRS to an XKE ?  OK what is a FRS? 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise Reader
11/27/18 8:28 p.m.

My 94 Mr2 turbo I bought new, has 10k miles now, I would consider a classic :) 

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
11/28/18 5:20 p.m.

We get this question a lot from people who want to enter our classic car tours. We define classic pretty loosely.

As a guy who loves and grew up with a whole lot of different cars, I can't really define it, but I know it when I see it.

A clapped out early Saturn is not a classic. A well loved, restored or original BMW M3 is.

I started my life with Fords in the sixties, so they hold a special spot.

I started my magazine career with eighties cars like CR-Xs, GTIs and E30 BMWs. 

Having just driven a 85 CR-X Si and having just finished a 1991 318is, they both look and feel like classics to me. The BMW just makes me giggle and I wonder why I haven't had one of these my life every day since they were new.

As for money, I don't think it matters. I think our Spitfires are super cool, classic sports cars that look and drive great.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Zj4nG1BhXclH0l1bQHJlMsE3DvA7iIKgrghVa67kECmREhteoTnbbzZ747ZsRvIM