1 2
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/12/14 2:40 p.m.

I know some of you are obsessed with more than just old cars; what other areas of your life are dominated by stuff that could be called "Classic?"

Personally, I have a problem with old bicycles. Here are a few I've played with:

My '80s Miyata touring bike.

My Bridgestone from the '70s.

My Raleigh from the '50s.

Anyone else?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/12/14 3:18 p.m.

I've had my alarm clock since 1979.

photo GE1.jpg

I still use the vise and drill press that I inherited from my grandfather. He was a machinist and made the vise. I don't know when, but I remember it from the early 70's. He bought the drill press in the early 50's.

photo Tools001.jpg

And when my six year old wants to go for a bike ride, I take one of the Schwinns.

photo Fastback004_zps586c25e5.jpg

photo OldBikes001_zps278ec40e.jpg

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/12/14 5:27 p.m.

I find that I'm less likely to get hit if I refer to my wife as "classic" instead of "old" Maps and pictures for me. The maps evoke a time when travel really was an adventure, not just work or pleasure.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/12/14 5:34 p.m.

My bikes aren't so new, either. Lately the main one has been an SE Racing Floval Flyer. It's only a few years old, but it's more or less a replica of a model from the '80s--love it. This one isn't mine, but it looks just like it:

And then there's all the guitars:

1957 Fender Stratocaster Reissue (made in Japan in the mid-'90s)

strat

Fender Jazz Bass Geddy Lee (copy of his 1972-ish Jazz Bass)

10250210_10203711806746775_2950990064337265037_n

Mid-1970s Univox Hi-Flyer short-scale bass--gotta post a photo.

Plus some other vintagey-guitars.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
9/12/14 5:46 p.m.

I collect and restore antique power tools. Then use them as intended.58 amf dewalt radial arm, 50' era polished aluminum makita had tools, 38 craftsman lathe, 50's era craftsman table saw. I like old tools.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/12/14 6:04 p.m.

My 9" lathe is from 1947, my 13" is from the 50s.

The 9" after restoration.

The nasty 13". It's in desperate need of cleaning and painting, but I have no room. It's at a friends shop.

I have several of antique engines I've picked up over the years. A McCormick 1.5 hp from 1928, a Little Jumbo 3 hp from the 20s, a LeRoi 12 hp from the 40s, and a Evinrude fire pump engine from the 50s.

I can watch these guys run for hours.

The McCormick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmUAoTo-gQ4

The Little Jumbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdAfly9e318

Clocks. Lots and lots of clocks. The oldest is from the 1860s-1870s.

I've got about 40 of them around the house. I buy most of them cheap and broken and fix them.

A few more of my favorites.

I usually only wind one or two at a time or it sounds like the house is about to explode, It drives my wife bat E36 M3 crazy when I wind all of them.

And this little guy. I picked it up off Ebay a couple of weeks back. A 1958 Sea King 5 hp. I had one of these when I was a boy. This one is a gem. Beautiful, smooth and quiet. As soon as I finish the jet boat, I'll be building a wood boat for it.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb New Reader
9/30/14 8:09 a.m.

John Deere tractors, although they aren't mine. My dad has three JD two cylinders, a 1948 model A, a 60 with a 45 loader and a 720 diesel. They all run and get used for actual farming on a daily basis.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
9/30/14 8:49 a.m.

I also have classic bikes and tools

My 1989 Bianchi Giro (I think) looks very close to this, but not as clean

And my 90s Bridgestone MB3 is not even rideable, but will be one day...Looks like this

I scored a 7" Lathe free on the list of craigs - I was told its from the 30s, and was last used as a polisher. Before the company got rid of it, they removed the dead center, and the chuck/collet - the nose of the spindle is not tapered, and the thread is some comically obscure pitch, but I still intend to rehab it into a working machine with a hand feed carriage and cross slide. I will start a thread once I get underway this winter. Its a good all iron machine with large bronze bearings. I cannot wait...

Lastly (for now, much to the dismay of SWMBO), is the Boiler burner I use for my metal casting hobby - a 1950s Cast iron unit that I rehabbed:

before

during

back in action

Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/30/14 11:24 a.m.

I have two 'refreshed' Peugeot road bikes. An '85 and an '86, I believe.

Peugeot and C900

Rupert
Rupert HalfDork
9/30/14 11:25 a.m.

Like Toyman01, I also play with old clocks and watches. I'm always tinkering, buying, selling, or swapping. Being retired, my largest amount of time during the day is now spent playing my horns. A real custom & hand made Schilke Cornet is my star "classic" horn. However I also have a Soprano Sax, Alto Sax, Tenor Sax, a Trumpet, & a Trombone. Oops, make that two trombones. I forgot I just bought another. And I till recently owned a Conn four valve double bell Euphonium.(sic)

Since I've never successfully added pictures here except the Ran When Parked section, I'm not even going to try to post any today.

Woody
9/30/14 11:33 a.m.

In reply to Powar:

Is that a Peugeot Iseran? I bought one new in 1986 or 1987.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/30/14 12:44 p.m.

Still car stuff, but i collect 80s/early 90s HKS stuff. Not that old overall, but ancient for japanese tuning car stuff.

If anyone happens to run across some or has some sitting in a corner of their shop, let me know.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
9/30/14 1:00 p.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to Powar: Is that a Peugeot Iseran? I bought one new in 1986 or 1987.

I believe the maroon one is. The white one is a Corbier.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
9/30/14 1:29 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: I also have classic bikes and tools My 1989 Bianchi Giro (I think) looks very close to this, but not as clean

I swear my buddy Mike had that exact same Bianchi when we were in high school. I had an 83-ish Trek 400 road bike. IIRC, the Bianchi had tubulars which was a supreme PITA if he got a flat. Still a very cool bike.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/30/14 8:28 p.m.

Late 1930's Schwinn Superior track bike.

photo IMG_4968_zps12769c7a.jpg

1977 S.D. Curlee bass

photo 088DB9C0-E1E1-40D8-BA65-C8391D8EC20B_zpsz2epjkyu.jpg

Our 1898 buildings we own, with our shop and upstairs apartment.

Front, looking south photo IMG_1369.jpg

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
9/30/14 9:13 p.m.

Mainly guitars for me, mostly from the 80's and 90's, but a few older. A '71 Les Paul Standard, mid-60's Gibson L-48 archtop acoustic, a crappy Harmony from the 60's. I opened up my bin of effects pedals a couple of weeks ago and found stuff I'd forgotten I had: E-H Memory Man and Small Stone - both originals, not reissues - bought back in the early 90's... I suppose my amp is "classic" as well: a silver-face Fender Dual Showman.

I have some "classic" bikes as well, but only because I rarely sell anything rather than any conscious decision to "collect" them... My current mountain bikes are pretty new, although my road bike is a 1997 Colnago Master bi-Titan.

Woody
9/30/14 9:53 p.m.

I have a Curta. It makes me happy.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
9/30/14 10:48 p.m.

I mostly dabble in cast iron cookware and grilling stuff. The old stuff. I have some pieces that are 130 years old and yes, I cook with them.

I also find myself inexplicably drawn to old tv, radio and phonograph furniture. I am facinated by obsolete technology in general. I think I may be odd.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
10/1/14 1:41 a.m.

Everything.

My motorcycles, 1950s to 1980s.

My house, 1975

My toolboxes, 1950s Snap-On

My office has a 1930s GE cabinet radio and a 1960s Philips Hi-Fi.

My furniture. Mad Men has made buying the stuff I like bloody expensive now.

Why buy new? It isn't as cool and probably won't last as long.

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
10/1/14 9:11 a.m.

I have several old guitars about. '60, '61, somewhere in there. Few vintage amps too. Probably the most interesting is a big old valco-made 2X12, also from somewhere around 1960 or so.

Most of my furniture.

I've gotten rid of the old cars, and the vintage clothes.

Is a 90s mountain bike really considered "Classic"? I thought mine was just old.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
10/1/14 9:22 a.m.
SEADave wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote: I also have classic bikes and tools My 1989 Bianchi Giro (I think) looks very close to this, but not as clean
I swear my buddy Mike had that exact same Bianchi when we were in high school. I had an 83-ish Trek 400 road bike. IIRC, the Bianchi had tubulars which was a supreme PITA if he got a flat. Still a very cool bike.

I love that bike...others may come and go, but this one will stick around. Drivetrain components are definitely not original - its a mishmash of Suntour and Shimano. But the Frame and Fork are a matched set, and I think the bars are original too. A new wheelset is on the docket, but the caselog is pretty backed up, so it may be a while...

In general though, its a very comfy bike that is not old or original enough to make me feel badly about sweating all over, or changing the spec-sheet to suit my needs (wants ). I kinda want to add a carbon fork as well, but thats mostly my vanity talking.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
10/1/14 9:22 a.m.

I dabble in Atari 2600 and NES, enough that I upgraded my 4 switch to a 5 switch(pause kit!).

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
10/1/14 3:52 p.m.

Lots of my enthusiasms happen to be a bit retro in nature.

Fountain pens and mechanical watches:

Vinyl LPs:

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter PowerDork
10/1/14 4:52 p.m.

Looks like a fine turntable, too.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
10/1/14 5:31 p.m.

No one else has cameras? Although (ironically enough) I don't actually have any photos to post, I have over 20 (working) film cameras at last count. Most are Japanese rangefinders from 60's and 70's. Most are Minolta's, although I have a few Canon's, Yashica's, a 50's Voightlander, and an 80's Leica too.

In addition to the rangefinders I have two complete Minolta MF SLR outfits (SR-T 102 and XE-7) plus 2 Maxxum outfits. I also have a Sony DSLR that can use the Maxxum lenses. There is also a Mamiya RB-67S outfit that I call my Texas Hasselblad.

Finally there is a full darkroom setup including 3 enlargers (including a Minolta Model III with full colorhead and analyser) and enough lenses, tubes/trays/etc to go with them all. Unfortunately I don't currently have a dedicated darkroom to put them in.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
57g9fZ0kPy2CqumLZdijCAkMvS09CkunC67u0ILLI0aYdB1pScojzJmCxrJKfaUn