Jeff
Jeff SuperDork
12/21/17 12:09 p.m.

I have a sickness; I love these cars. There's a relatively clean one (from the pictures, not currently running, I'm going to look at it tomorrow) not to far from me. They are asking $1500 CAD/1200 USD which seems pretty nuts unless the body is spotless (which the pictures don't support). My goal is to make it a dual use car; summer/fun driver and VARAC historic racer which only requires a roll bar, not a full cage (they do allow removable door bars; I'd add those for extra track safety).

My gut feeling is that if it's clean, it's worth about half of what he's asking. I have a pretty good idea of what to look for with these and what's required to make them run but can always use more information and feedback. Also, if anyone has a line on one that's for sale in better shape, I'd be interested in hearing about it. In Canada is preferred but not required, needs to be 1975 or older. I would also consider a 96. Thanks.

BoxheadCougarTim
BoxheadCougarTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/21/17 1:05 p.m.

They've been going up in value so if it's complete and doesn't have to be carried home in a bag, it might be worth close to what they're asking for. Of course that would go out of the window if the floors are an optional extra...

Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
12/31/17 8:15 a.m.

The big question mark is not the running, but the rust. Non running cars are usually easy to fix. Rust can rener a low value car unrestorable.

EthanTrammell
EthanTrammell
1/1/18 1:24 a.m.

I haven't received any news on sale for the above mentioned vehicle. But the one you are considering, If it can be negotiated and bought, then a good choice.

jdoc90
jdoc90 New Reader
1/3/18 6:26 p.m.

from some knowledge of the marque and an owner of 2 saab 900 converts . the water pump is a critical piece ,it is part of the engine and is not available anywhere. most other parts are out there but can be difficult or pricey or both . rust is not a killer this car has double thick steel in many places and cut out make a card board pattern and weld in is simple on most panels . after that any hot rod work around can be used as needed if concours correct is not important this is kind of the swiss army knife of swedish sporty cars except big power is not possible without a totally fabricated transmission since they can't handle more than 150hp in stock form , 225 hp for a 900 turbo trans .it is the shear pin for the whole car lol. So tranny also important piece to have in good shape . good luck finding glass  ..... there is a 96 wagon for sale in the northeast usa either rochester ny or pennsylvannia i forget which .. on craigers list  not running is automatically sub 1000$ in my book 

procainestart
procainestart Dork
1/4/18 10:36 a.m.

The water pump issue can be solved by installing an electric pump. See saabnet.com's 99 forum or other resources for details.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
1/7/18 8:49 p.m.

The last time I bought one I paid $25.00. 

I had it for sale for One Case of Cheap Beer. A kid bought it and he claimed he couldn't give me a case of beer because he was underage. We settled on US$20.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KCP5g7XTJOWUwRMHcfixKllZC6CpbfiFl88Gilhun5SCQlCdZNRxCbTyy2RepnOr