David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/16/18 9:22 a.m.

[Editor's Note: This is from our November 2017 issue. Some information my be different.]

Story by David S. Wallens • Photos Courtesy BMW

“It kind of looks like a clown shoe.”

“Yeah, that’s where it gets its nickname.”

Meet the BMW M Coupe. It’s more than a hardtop version of the M Roadster, which is itself a pumped-up Z3. The M Coupe follows a long line of three-door …

Read the rest of the story

wspohn
wspohn Dork
8/21/18 3:24 p.m.

The looks are a personal judgement, but the handling tends to be loosey goosey compared to later M models.  The cars that got the S54 engine bring a nice premium.  If you value idiosyncratic appearance over crisp handling, these are a better choice than the later Z4Ms.  Otherwise, not so much.  I think the Z3M coupe looks kind of cool, but I own a Z4M coupe.

haringmp
haringmp New Reader
12/28/23 12:36 p.m.

wspohn:

Coudn't agree more- almost! The clown shoe has a mini-cult following, so to them it's "cool."

The Z4MC is gorgeous & currently drastically under-appreciated. Anyone who drives this as

a GT, long-distance BMW will be immediately convinced. I, too, own a Z4MC - 2007!! 

wspohn
wspohn UltraDork
1/7/24 1:46 p.m.
haringmp said:

wspohn:

Coudn't agree more- almost! The clown shoe has a mini-cult following, so to them it's "cool."

The Z4MC is gorgeous & currently drastically under-appreciated. Anyone who drives this as

a GT, long-distance BMW will be immediately convinced. I, too, own a Z4MC - 2007!! 

Mine is also a 2007 car in silver gray metallic with black interior and the top end sound system (which includes the PITA pop up screen).

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
1/8/24 2:04 p.m.

How do we feel about the narrow-body Z3 coupes? I dig them but it’s rare that you see one. 

BimmerMaven
BimmerMaven Reader
4/22/24 1:14 p.m.

We have both an M Roadster and M Coupe...S52s.  Fun street cars, happy balance of sport and comfort for my 70 year old body. 

I replaced or rebuilt all the wear parts when I bought them, as well as upgrades for the Radiator and water pump.   14 yrs for Roadster and 5 for the Coupe with no issues.

BTW, I  also have an S50B30US in my E30 for 29 yrs, an S52 partly done in my E30 convertible, and an M50B25 in the E36 cruiser.   they are all super reliable and share common tools, making life easier for me..

Friends with the S54...well....rod bearings, coils, VANOS....all require frequent attention.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nMJ5BtidjOTWxqrs04g70GvG5Hfrioo8PxPHRcUtSLcGktu71JstXQX6pd3kE701