David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/8/17 2:08 p.m.

Our sports car world can be divided into two epochs: before and after the arrival of Datsun’s 240Z. Before the 240Z arrived stateside for the 1970 model year, small-bore sports cars came from Europe and sported wire wheels. Most asked their occupants to sacrifice some comfort and convenience for style and performance.

Japan’s release of the 240Z pushed us into …

Read the rest of the story

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
6/8/17 2:22 p.m.

You need to stop it, now! I still regret selling my '71 a few years ago. It's probably the car I regret the most, and that escalates as the days go by. It's certainly not a perfect car, but there's just something raw and entertaining about the way they drive.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
6/8/17 3:15 p.m.

Agreed ^^^

I also miss mine---- I just miss looking at the darn thing. It was a great highway car-- long legs and pretty comfy. The steering, shifter, and overall feel is delicate and light. I sure wouldn't want to be T-Boned in one though. Those doors feel like they have as much protection as a wet paper bag!

I'll take another in Orange--- loved that car!

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
6/8/17 7:07 p.m.

And don't forget the sound. Mine had a header and stainless exhaust, well, and a nice cam too. It sounded awesome! It was silver, but I too would have preferred orange. Its funny, I've been new toy shopping for the better part of a year now. I've almost pulled the trigger on a Boxster, NC Miata, Z4 M Coupe, and a S2000, but I think I really want another 240Z. The problem is I want a really nice one this time, and they are getting pricey and hard to find.

Joe Gearin
6/9/17 9:30 a.m.

^^ Follow your heart, and get another! All the "experts" say they are going to jump in price, but they've been saying that for a long time now. Good examples can still be found for less than $20K, but that is likely to change, as ratty examples get restored, and the "middle ground" cars begin to disappear.

You are totally right about the sound! Love me some straight six! Here's my old car----and Olaf the wonderdog. As much as I miss that 240z.....I miss the pooch even more.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
6/9/17 12:47 p.m.

Looks great Joe! I feel you on the dog, I lost mine about 5 years ago after 17 years.

Joe Gearin
6/9/17 12:57 p.m.

17 years? That's a heck of a run!

Yep, Olaf was one of a kind, made it to 13. He could open the fridge, cabinets, screen doors--- the most intelligent dog I've ever seen. He even had a showbiz resume, as he was in the "Busted" show that used to air on the Animal Planet! He played "dog in cage".....improvised too....he was a natural!

The car lives on, but unfortunately dogs are only here temporarily.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
6/7/19 9:14 a.m.

With a 240Z selling for $124,240 yesterday, I figured it was a good time to reopen this subject. 

wspohn
wspohn Dork
6/8/19 10:55 a.m.

Stock steel wheels and hubcaps are now rare - I don't recall seeing any brand new 240s on the street more than a week off the showroom floor that didn't have mags on it.

I also recall my British car friends that experienced a big 'Holy Crap!" moment the first time they saw how the cars performed. Many the owner of a smogged up TR6 regretted his buying decision when the Datsun appeared.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wrHXKEM66IfLTBJzuk46WQ3mEFgo222vB7qjdp31ZkfHjEXgoA33zTpMu4ItfjtY