grinch77
grinch77 New Reader
12/21/08 6:10 p.m.

I'm getting ready to go and look at a few 2003 WRX's is there anything in particular I should look for?I have access to a lift so crawling around under it is not a problem to look at anything.

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/21/08 6:15 p.m.

If you're not aware of this site I'd check it out and do a good search there www.nasioc.com A wealth of subaru info

wherethefmi2000
wherethefmi2000 Reader
12/21/08 6:17 p.m.

Here's a link too http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170789

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/08 7:48 p.m.

Be sure that the clutch does not chatter. A WRX's clutch will be the first indicator of hard use. Also they do not like the orange antifreeze. It eats the water pump seals.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/21/08 9:00 p.m.

I thought clutch chatter was an annoyance more than anything. I've seen WRXs that aren't abused exhibit it. After I drove one of the vehicles that did it, I thought it was a petty thing. I guess it's different if you buy a car that's under warranty and it isn't perfect, but it wouldn't dissuade me from buying a car.

Just buy the nicest example you can...and the least modified. Sedona Red Pearl is a color that tended to be avoided by 'enthusiasts.'

fornetti14
fornetti14 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
12/21/08 10:49 p.m.

Watch for any visible signs of a head gasket leak from under the car. Also pay attention to feel if it misfires at all or if the CEL is on for a misfire code. Could be burnt valves or low compression due to ring failure.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
12/22/08 11:47 a.m.

Headgaskets is the big one. They usually leak oil externally first. Listen for rod knock(not piston slap), some of the early 2.0s ruin their bottom end. Clutch chatter tends to be present even in cars that haven't been abused(stock pressure plates from that era suck)... I'd be worried more about bad synchros. Noisy rear wheel bearings, codes for cat ineffeciency(bad 02 sensor), clunky steering racks, the list goes on.

Great cars, just make sure it's serviced and sound.

Brust
Brust New Reader
12/23/08 2:06 p.m.

I bought a WRX wagon new in 02. It had clutch chatter from about 2000 miles and I've never been hard on it. There's a TSB or something that I found- basically took it to the dealer and they replaced the clutch, flywheel, and slave cylinder under warranty. No issues since. It's an acknowledged issue that has nothing to do with driving it hard. Other than that, a great car. I still love it bone stock after 6 years.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i91xKxlN4YQoUgIzkq5hWBXfSa8Y8g3aourEikyRosRcwRB7V63s6Q7Nq9YFyJZE