5ev3n
5ev3n None
11/15/09 12:59 p.m.

First things first, stock cop stereos suck. AM/FM and that is it. (At least on mine) So, my question goes out to P71 owners past and present... What's the best audio option for replacement? I see that most OEM Ford radios have the same size and removal system. I've also read that there are about 9 different ones that "could" be replacement depending on the serial numbers on the backside. On eBay I've found 5 and 6 disc players that look as if they may fit, but I don't know. So what's the best option for a 06 P71? OEM Ford radios that will fit? OEM Ford radios with 5 or 6 disc changers? (would they work) Nice aftermarket radio, spending the extra money? or... just the 50 dollar aftermarket special at Walmart? I dont need anything over the top, just some control of whats going in my ears aside from sweet sweet 4.6. But if the upgrade is easy and cheap, I'm all about it.

Thanks gentlemen (and possibly some ladies.) Davis.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/09 2:22 p.m.

I just did this to my 01 P71 (same dash and stereo). I bought a Clarion CD/Receiver from Crutchfield on special (plus you get a free install kit) and opted for the HD Radio receiver as well. The Clarion HD unit fits on top of the deck behind the factory dash, nice install. Comes with a remote and USB and AUX inputs. IIRC the whole deal was under $190 shipped to my door. Quality is excellent, I can play all of my CD's and MP3's, my Sansa and Audra's iPod both play nicely, and the HD tuner is worth the money. I have a picture and write up on it in an update on my Reader's Ride page.

5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
11/15/09 5:10 p.m.

Did your P71 have front speakers or at least the wiring for speakers? I don't think mine does at all. It appears as if they should be in the door, but when I shift the fade there is absolutely no sound in the front. The small amount of information I've seen, they're supposed to have another set of 6x9s. But again, given the minimal amount of information I could find pertaining to actual P71s and not other models, I'm not sure that's accurate. Thanks for your wisdom.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/15/09 5:35 p.m.

Mine has 6x8's in the front doors and rear deck, factory. Yours should too. The wiring will be there, Ford uses the same harness for all of the CV's. If you look under the carpet/rubber floor you will find the plug ins for front power seats on both sides and behind the dash trim is the plugs for all of the options.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
11/16/09 12:03 a.m.

I thought, when I first saw the post title, hey, I should check this out, I'm sure I will be helping Davis with a stereo for the p71 at some point...didn't realize it was you who made the post at first.

Just head on over to best buy and get the 99 dollar special. We can have it in no time. Easier than the spotlights, I imagine.

Joey

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
11/16/09 9:39 a.m.

6x8's, also known as 5x7's, at all four corners. that hole in your dash is double din, but only at the face. It's not that roomy at the back, particularly at the top iirc, so I'd recommend a nice aftermarket deck and four matching speakers. I added an alpine four channel amp to mine, but I'm I like unnecessary stuff like that.

5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
11/16/09 1:20 p.m.

Well, I figured I'd go with the cheapest I could find at Crap-mart.

180 watt stereo. 4 speakers (2-6x9s & 2-6.5 rounds). All Sony. MP3/WMA playback. Front auxiliary input.
I suppose its good enough for who its for.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar SuperDork
11/16/09 1:35 p.m.

with some cutting that'll "work"

5ev3n
5ev3n New Reader
11/16/09 2:32 p.m.

like I said, good enough for who its for.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MTIteLCrF4bov3x5RmeSy2jql8jykAFuAQgbnaW9LDhiHbjxJm3FOYfpyXGcGQwI