1 2 3
tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/27/17 12:56 p.m.

What I have:

'88 Accord LX-i, broken in a few unimportant ways, but driving daily and pretty much enjoying it. It's quick enough with only 120 hp and 2600 lb, it's got loads of utility because of the hatch and clever fold down, tool-less removal of the seat backs. I put an assembled wheelbarrow in the back, and have routinely hauled small amounts of eight-foot lumber.

What's the rub?

It's broken, which is annoying, but more because I just don't have a ton of time to devote to a daily driver, but really that's not the issue. The issue is my wife. She won't drive it. Likely, she won't drive anything I own, so what that means is that I need to have a real five seater. Two doors are acceptable, but this thing is cramped as a five seater. I do it, but I don't like it. It takes ten real minutes to buckle/unbuckle all of the kiddos, and despite they fact that they think it's the fastest car on the planet (it's not), it's really crowded for their feet.

What I want which is different than the Accord: Better seating for everyone (my seat is uncomfortable also), available parts supply (lots of NLA stuff on this car).

What I want the same as the Accord: Zingy, small to drive, good fuel economy (30 roughly on a normal tank), good cargo capability (not the same time as kid carrying capacity), low operating costs.

So, runs 12.0 in the 1/4, 35 mpg, can fit a couch or four kids, costs $5K, never breaks. Got it?

Let's stick with 5K, I am thinking towards an xB, older Fit, breadvan Si, manual Cube, Mazda 3, Mazda 2, Fiesta.

Special stuff is fun, hence the Si, I don't thing the Fiesta ST is anywhere near that price point yet. Can you make the xB handle? It's probably better than the Accord already, and they are cheap and cool. The tC is a hatch, what's the rear seat like? Doesn't everyone here hate them? What's the difference between the xB and the xD?

I wish the Fiat 500 had five seats, those things are cheap and the cabrio is really cool.

What's the hive's current opinion on this?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/27/17 12:57 p.m.

Is this pretty much the answer? I had no clue they were this cheap already.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/6058718747.html

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/27/17 1:02 p.m.

Mazdaspeed 3 is what I was about to say while waiting for the CL ad to load. :)

smokindav
smokindav Reader
3/27/17 1:09 p.m.

People always forget about the GTI - MkV or newer

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/27/17 1:17 p.m.
smokindav wrote: People always forget about the GTI - MkV or newer

Want to want them, with the tartan interior, but scared to death of basically everything about them. If I was assured that it would be as reliable as a Si or whatever, I'd shop for a GTI hatch and call it good.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
3/27/17 1:21 p.m.

They get all sorts of flak for being cheap and sold to cheapskates but have you looked at an Altima? The horrible beater '98 we picked up last year for a grand has been reliable as gravity and would run away from your Honda with it's whopping 150 hp. It gets 30+ mpg highway and is honestly not a bad car. It even has dual airbags (oooohh).

Dave
Dave Reader
3/27/17 1:23 p.m.

I have a Mazda2 and its a bit cramped as a five seater depending on how old your kids are. Fine around town but my kids get a bit grumpy on a road trip.

STM317
STM317 Dork
3/27/17 1:23 p.m.

Something like the Mazda 6 lift back or wagon might work too if you want to put more emphasis on the interior space, since you know, kids grow and stuff.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/27/17 1:24 p.m.
Dave wrote: I have a Mazda2 and its a bit cramped as a five seater depending on how old your kids are. Fine around town but my kids get a bit grumpy on a road trip.

8, 7, 5 and 4, but they keep getting older...

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/27/17 1:25 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: They get all sorts of flak for being cheap and sold to cheapskates but have you looked at an Altima? The horrible beater '98 we picked up last year for a grand has been reliable as gravity and would run away from your Honda with it's whopping 150 hp. It gets 30+ mpg highway and is honestly not a bad car. It even has dual airbags (oooohh).

I would prefer a manual shift, I know the Maxima came with them - did the Altima?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/27/17 1:26 p.m.

Mazda5 is the droid you are looking for.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/27/17 1:29 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Mazda5 is the droid you are looking for.

We have a Caravan for big hauling duties. I need something at least one size down for me on typical days.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
3/27/17 1:30 p.m.

My mother in-law has an original xB and it's surprisingly good at hauling things and grandkids. The box design just works from an interior standpoint. You can legit rock 3 car seats across the back seat and they all fit. I don't think there's a better car at interior room given the exterior footprint of the vehicle.

They're very spartan, but basically a Corolla in terms of reliability.

Klayfish
Klayfish UberDork
3/27/17 1:31 p.m.

Anything newer, smaller such as the xB, TC, Mazda2, Mazda3, Fiesta, etc...is going to be pretty tight for 3 across. We owned an '08 Fit years ago, and no way would I want to put 3 back there often. Of any of them, perhaps the Mazda3, Civic size may be the best because they're slightly bigger. My '13 Elantra, which is in the same class, can hold 3 across. I have the coupe version. With only two back there, it's downright cavernous, they have limo like leg room. I almost never put 3 back there, but I could. They'd be a bit cozy (ages 13, 9, 9), but they'd fit with no real problem.

If you're carrying 3 across, I'd shop for the newest manual trans Accord that $5k will buy.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
3/27/17 1:31 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: They get all sorts of flak for being cheap and sold to cheapskates but have you looked at an Altima? The horrible beater '98 we picked up last year for a grand has been reliable as gravity and would run away from your Honda with it's whopping 150 hp. It gets 30+ mpg highway and is honestly not a bad car. It even has dual airbags (oooohh).
I would prefer a manual shift, I know the Maxima came with them - did the Altima?

https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/6045188365.html

https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/6043806817.html

They were the hot rod sedans for their day and at sub 6 second 0-60, thay aren't slouchy even today. http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2003-nissan-altima-35se-page-7

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/27/17 1:35 p.m.
CL guy wrote:
KyAllroad wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
KyAllroad wrote: They get all sorts of flak for being cheap and sold to cheapskates
https://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/6045188365.html https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/6043806817.html
full coil over suspension, 18" wheels, interior is in great shape

I'll have to keep an eye out for something in reasonable shape.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
3/27/17 2:26 p.m.

Sooooo, they're hard to find, but what about that Mazda 6 wagon? Couldn't they be had in a V6 and manual transmission?

I would daily drive the snot out of that thing.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
3/27/17 3:12 p.m.

Around me the 2005-2007 Civic Si is bumping against $5k. They're quite fantastic and lots of four door versions available. Bigger than the Fit/Mazda2. Proper LSD. Good mileage. No hatch, but the seats fold. Other option is the breadvan Civic Si that preceeded it. Hatch, but two doors. Same basic drivetrain. Funky shifter.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/27/17 4:24 p.m.

Mazda6 has been said. I think it may work better as a family car than a 3, but the 3 will likely be more fun.

Is Subaru off the list?

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/27/17 5:07 p.m.

My friend has a MKIV GTI and loves it. He commutes about 100 miles a day to work, and hasn't had any major issues with his.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/28/17 6:49 a.m.
Brett_Murphy wrote: Mazda6 has been said. I think it may work better as a family car than a 3, but the 3 will likely be more fun. Is Subaru off the list?

I don't know, does Subaru have anything to offer above those listed?

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/28/17 6:49 a.m.

https://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/6042870828.html

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Dork
3/28/17 7:58 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Around me the 2005-2007 Civic Si is bumping against $5k. They're quite fantastic and lots of four door versions available. Bigger than the Fit/Mazda2. Proper LSD. Good mileage. No hatch, but the seats fold. Other option is the breadvan Civic Si that preceeded it. Hatch, but two doors. Same basic drivetrain. Funky shifter.

Good friend of mine has had an 07ish si sedan as long as I've known him and I think it would work well for the OP. Iirc, I think there was a recall on the transmissions and his was rebuilt on Honda's dime some time ago, but aside from that and some genuine bad luck (it once got dropped off the side of a rollback when he was towed for being parked illegally ) it's been reliable. And he beats on it pretty good too.

Fun to drive factor is way up there, revs to the moon, tightly spaced gears are great fun to row, handles nicely, and sounds good for a 4 banger.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
3/28/17 8:10 a.m.
Furious_E wrote:
mazdeuce wrote: Around me the 2005-2007 Civic Si is bumping against $5k. They're quite fantastic and lots of four door versions available. Bigger than the Fit/Mazda2. Proper LSD. Good mileage. No hatch, but the seats fold. Other option is the breadvan Civic Si that preceeded it. Hatch, but two doors. Same basic drivetrain. Funky shifter.
Good friend of mine has had an 07ish si sedan as long as I've known him and I think it would work well for the OP. Iirc, I think there was a recall on the transmissions and his was rebuilt on Honda's dime some time ago, but aside from that and some genuine bad luck (it once got dropped off the side of a rollback when he was towed for being parked illegally ) it's been reliable. And he beats on it pretty good too. Fun to drive factor is way up there, revs to the moon, tightly spaced gears are great fun to row, handles nicely, and sounds good for a 4 banger.

Loving the Si idea, special, fun, won't embarrass itself if I ever get to a track day or autocross, and still practical and reliable.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltraDork
3/28/17 8:17 a.m.

I know this goes against everything I usually stand for, but as I'm getting older, and my level of tolerance for working on a daily driver shrinks...

Why not plunk down (lease or payments) on a new 5 door? Pick your favorite, they're all pretty good. Civic, Focus, Fiesta, etc. $5000 makes a lot of payments. And you have a warranty. Your commute is short enough a lease may make sense. Remember the good times you had with the Leaf? All those times you weren't doing oil changes, or re-ringing the engine, or replacing...anything?

Edit: Just went to the Ford Website. An SE hatch, in a rainbow of colors, 5 speed stick, with decent 15" alloys, rings the bell for under $200/month lease.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0sSAlXvfD8dOLYmEWvUNQ3ItjroV7NHNx96xysnMRlvfED3GH5cJa2l65dU6kSOF