1 2 3
volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
11/27/19 7:13 a.m.

In reply to jharry3 :

You're not the only one.  I also have a local, trusted tow driver saved in my contacts.  I wish he had one of those "Buy 10 get one Free" punch cards.  

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
11/27/19 7:20 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yes, that way you can pass them around the audience, er, table

triumph7
triumph7 Reader
11/27/19 7:38 a.m.
Rodan said:

I just hope we don't get rear-ended on the way to Thanksgiving dinner again this year.

Not as bad as getting rear ended AT Thanksgiving dinner!

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/27/19 7:57 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

Talk about your favorite finish and era for Porsche phonedials.  Bring photo examples of the wheel over the years it was available.

For the young people at the table, it would be great to bring an actual phone, one with a phone dial (and actual metal bells inside to make it ring), to show them where the wheels got their name. 

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/27/19 8:31 a.m.

Since it will just be my mother and I, the most awkward subject likely to come up at the dinner table this year is when my giant van will be out of my mother's driveway so she can get her car into her garage... 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/27/19 9:42 a.m.

NASCAR would be better if they did more road courses

The South lost the war, and Sherman did everybody a favor by setting fire to most of what was left. Get over it.

Roses are red, violets are VIOLET, not blue. Yes, I am aware of the limited color palette when the poem was written!

Pickle Rick was one of the worst episodes of Rick and Morty.

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse PowerDork
11/27/19 10:23 a.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

The South lost the war, and Sherman did everybody a favor by setting fire to most of what was left. Get over it.

Fortunately, they built Waffle Houses over much of the ruins.  

TVR Scott
TVR Scott GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/27/19 10:50 a.m.

Last year at Thanksgiving I handed my cousin a back issue of GRM.  He spent the next three hours quietly reading, and then declared, "This is going to cost me a lot of money."

This Thanksgiving I'm looking forward to discussing paint color schemes for his recently-bought E30 318 project, seeing his also newly bought Chevy tow-vehicle pick-up truck, and also find out the latest on the A-street Solstice.  Naturally I'll have pics of the TVR to share.

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
11/27/19 11:03 a.m.

I will be the token minority in the house on so many levels; the only car guy, the only non-comic book nerd SciFi nerd, the only non stick & ball sports guy, the only white guy and so I pretty much just hangout and have a laugh.

My wife and her family will be debating the merits or the lack of in the new Star Wars flick. If we're watching some movie or commercial I don't make comments about how poor the character's car control skills are as they'll just look at me wondering what I'm on about. I will also get asked after every drift commercial "can you do that?"

On the plus side her family does heckle TV shows so we do get along and we all agree that Friends is a terrible show with no imagination as are most sitcoms so I'll be spared those as well. Without fail I'll get NASCAR questions to which I reply I don't watch.................after 29 years you'd think people would figure it out but what the heck they're good people as my father would say.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/19 11:27 a.m.

This is Michigan, you dickholes. If you don’t rock winter tires, STFU about driving conditions.*

*might not happen this year, since there’s no snow on the ground.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/27/19 12:19 p.m.
Wally said:

Who's the better Jackie, Stewart or Ickx and why? Start early as this debate can go on for a while. 

Carroll Shelby to Phil Hill, after Jackie Ickx publicly dissed Phil at an event, based on his age:

"Ickx was never a Champion."

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/27/19 2:55 p.m.

My updated list:

1. The South lost the war, and Sherman did everybody a favor by setting fire to most of what was left, because they built a Waffle House, Denny's or IHOP on every site where he set a fire. Prove they didn't! (thanks, Volvoclearinghouse)

2. Roses are red, violets are VIOLET, not blue. Yes, I am aware of the limited color palette when the poem was written!

3. Pickle Rick was one of the worst episodes of Rick and Morty.

4. NASCAR lost the plot and should return to smaller tracks in the south. Also, more road courses.

5. Getting emotionally involved in any sports team you don't actually play for is a waste of time.

6. Which camouflage pattern is the best for the largest number of conditions? Show your work.

7. Baked or fried doesn't matter, turkey is a crap meal and everybody should just eat something different instead.

8. Popeyes vs. Bojangles vs. Chick-Fil-Ahhhhhrrrrrghhh

9. Blue Bell is, in fact, the worst ice cream you can get in many places, and any place it isn't is somewhere you shouldn't go.

10. Bicycles may be the most energy efficient form of human transportation, but you can also tell how much of an shiny happy person somebody is by how much bicycle specific equipment they own.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/27/19 4:38 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:

7. Baked or fried doesn't matter, turkey is a crap meal and everybody should just eat something different instead.

Irrelevant. The turkey, like the rest of Thanksgiving dinner, is merely a vessel to deliver the gravy.

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/19 4:45 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy :

WRG to #10: I'm probably the most berkeleyin' Shiny Happy Person on this board...

rdcyclist
rdcyclist GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/27/19 4:46 p.m.

This article and following thread might be the most entertaining read on the entire GRM site...

stafford1500
stafford1500 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/19 5:37 p.m.

Dammit JG. #7 on so many levels. It's only been twenty years since I started this project.

NoGuarantee
NoGuarantee New Reader
11/28/19 2:25 p.m.

200tw tires are street legal tires. 

einy
einy HalfDork
11/28/19 3:02 p.m.

Five reasons why an Exocet should never be referred to as a dune buggy or a death cart.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/19 3:28 p.m.
Woody said:
Wally said:

Who's the better Jackie, Stewart or Ickx and why? Start early as this debate can go on for a while. 

Carroll Shelby to Phil Hill, after Jackie Ickx publicly dissed Phil at an event, based on his age:

"Ickx was never a Champion."

Ickx also never tried to sell anyone a Ford Tempo.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Ws_Bp7WYA

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/19 3:50 p.m.

I can confirm climate shift is not a proper thanksgiving topic

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/28/19 4:13 p.m.
jharry3 said:

Last year we had three different of our vehicles need towing.  The first was the MSM Miata and I fortunately found this really good guy with a flatbed that advertises he knows how to safely load sports cars.  

Then two more breakdowns with my truck and then my wife's car.  So I used the same guy each time even though he costs a little more.

So now my wife never fails to bring up at social gatherings that I am the only person she ever knew who  has his own personal tow truck driver and carries the guy's business card in his wallet.  Of course hardly anyone understands what it is to  be a car guy and thinks that its just another of my eccentricities.       

This will come up at Thanksgiving I have no doubt.

Well?  Did it?

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
11/28/19 5:33 p.m.

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
11/28/19 9:33 p.m.

I’m in Key West with Mrs. 300zxfreak, and for Thanksgiving dinner I just had grilled fish......with dressing. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
11/29/19 12:47 a.m.

At my table, which is better to use Uber or Lyft..

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/29/19 6:17 a.m.

Whew... the subject of my white whale van never came up, so awkwardness averted. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IF3bzrfHjCTn1o7GlsXG5E7MsjRrud8rBonMgzUkW4cV6Niys71D9YEXudhODJMH