1 2 3
Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD Reader
11/25/16 11:57 a.m.

I test drove a 1.0ecoboost and didn't like how much shifting i had to do compared to my 2.2 Cobalt XFE.

Would have to drop 2 gears to get the same acceleration as dropping one gear in the Cobalt on highway onramps.

Considering I get 38mpg winter and 41mpg summer average I just decided to ride the Cobalt till it dies.

The_Jed
The_Jed PowerDork
11/25/16 12:35 p.m.

At the moment I DD a '98 Impreza OBS with just under 230,000 miles on the stock EJ22, so the bar is set pretty low as far as acceleration goes. My bone stock '99 Crown Vic feels fast in comparison.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/25/16 2:48 p.m.

Just out of curiosity, what trims and models get the Ecoboost 1.0? I was looking on Ford's site and couldn't find the trims for 2016 models on up.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/25/16 2:51 p.m.

I have 33k on my fiesta 1.0 and it has been problem free. You can only get the 1.0 with an SE and iirc you can now get them with an auto and the upgraded wheels. when i got mine the only option you could get was the comfort package which is heated seats and mirrors and auto climate control.

crankwalk
11/25/16 3:28 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: I have 33k on my fiesta 1.0 and it has been problem free. You can only get the 1.0 with an SE and iirc you can now get them with an auto and the upgraded wheels. when i got mine the only option you could get was the comfort package which is heated seats and mirrors and auto climate control.

Thanks for the info. I have a super short commute most days and since the wife drives the Prius, I'm thinking about a little economy car to run around in instead of firing up the Land Cruiser for in town drives in subzero temps.

MrChaos
11/25/16 3:30 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk:

comfort package is the best $200 i spent on the car

crankwalk
11/25/16 3:39 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to crankwalk: comfort package is the best $200 i spent on the car

I noticed that was so cheap! You cant scrub ice off mirrors without messing them up every morning. I had to crawl through my back lift door because my locks were frozen this morning on the FJ. No amount of lock deicer would work. Something with heated seats,mirrors and autostart is sounding pretty good on days like today but unfortunately there are no 1.0s around me by a long shot from what I have found.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
11/25/16 4:47 p.m.

My 1.6 TIVCT and the 1.0 L have app the same power and I find acceleration adequate in my 1.6 SE.

The 0NE might even have more torque low down.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
11/25/16 8:01 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

As long as you are above 1600ish rpm, I think it has a lot more torque. It is quite easy to take off and pull from lower rpms than most of the smaller 4 cylinders I have had in the past.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
12/3/16 1:37 p.m.

These things are stoopid cheap right now, rebates & 0%,plus some kind of "certificates" puts me at $215 Mo x 72 w $500 trade. (239k nasty zx3).

Mine is white, w/cold pkg & will be here in a week!

Anyone know if/what kind of octane in a can I could keep on board to mix w/regular fuel in case I'm in areas where premium dino is not priced right?

By the way, anyone care to share driving impressions? I, um, never actually drove one.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/3/16 1:46 p.m.

Better than the 1.6 NA. Handles similar to the zx3 but new of course. I only run 87 in mine so I don't know why you would need premium. It doesn't have a tune to benefit from higher octane and with DI it doesn't need it. Awesome finance deal. I love mine and will likely put a few hundred thousand Ks on it.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
12/3/16 2:59 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

Thanks, for some reason I thought the 1.0 required premium fuel. Budget bonus!

Mind if I ask more questions?

MrChaos
12/3/16 9:20 p.m.
etifosi wrote: In reply to singleslammer: Thanks, for some reason I thought the 1.0 required premium fuel. Budget bonus! Mind if I ask more questions?

Ford does say the the best power and mileage come from using premium though

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/3/16 9:43 p.m.

I had completely missed that. Time to try some premium!

Ask away. Apparently my knowledge has some holes though.

MrChaos
12/3/16 9:47 p.m.

In reply to singleslammer:

after the whole them having to change the gas mileage rating they added that

also I will likely be getting rid of mine sometime next year since there looks like issues with heads cracking around the 75k-90k mile range.

crankwalk
12/4/16 7:41 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to singleslammer: after the whole them having to change the gas mileage rating they added that also I will likely be getting rid of mine sometime next year since there looks like issues with heads cracking around the 75k-90k mile range.

Well that sucks. Do they have the exhaust manifold cast in the head? My JK 3.6 cracked its cylinder heads (both) at 18k miles. Such a pain in the ass.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/4/16 8:02 p.m.

Yes, integrated manifold. The head cracking is also news to me. Guess I will just drive mine until something happens.

MrChaos
12/4/16 8:56 p.m.
singleslammer wrote: Yes, integrated manifold. The head cracking is also news to me. Guess I will just drive mine until something happens.

it seems like there are overheating issues that cause it something about the coolant boiling off. Integrated manifold with a turbo on an alum head on a iron block.

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
12/5/16 10:36 a.m.

I wonder if any preventative measures could be taken to guard against that issue. I'm seeing that "Water Wetter" can be harmful, does anyone know if "Purple Ice" or other such products actually work to reduce hot-spots or if they are bad too?

I didn't think I'd ever buy a new car, but am tired of living the beatercar life.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
12/5/16 10:37 a.m.

A couple 1.0 Fiestas posted used on CL in PDX for 6k - 7k with 20k or so on the clock and sat there for at least a couple weeks until I stopped looking. In Europe they are considered hopupable and all manner of kitted remaps, cat backs, downpipes, and (IIRC_ bigger turbos yielding up to 200 ftlbs or so are very available. I'm curious about the 1.0 but a lightly used FiST for 15-18k seems like a better deal and 30 mpg aint bad.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/5/16 10:57 a.m.

Perhaps Evans waterless coolant would help? I know less than nothing about that specific problem, but in general, turbo cars have a problem with hot spots after shutdown. You turn the car off, there's still a lot of latent heat, but not enough water flow, so it locally one area of the metal expands more than surrounding. If the turbo is still hot enough, you can have localized boiling from it as well which is tough on materials. Now repeat for life of car. My local racer guys have been having pretty good luck with Evans normalizing some of that, but of course, these are people that let the car cool down a decent bit before shutting it off, too.

Again, remember that I have no specific knowledge of that engine nor that issue.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
12/5/16 5:21 p.m.

Mine keeps running the fan and presumably the coolant after a long hot drive for a couple of minutes.

MrChaos
12/5/16 5:28 p.m.
Shaun wrote: A couple 1.0 Fiestas posted used on CL in PDX for 6k - 7k with 20k or so on the clock and sat there for at least a couple weeks until I stopped looking. In Europe they are considered hopupable and all manner of kitted remaps, cat backs, downpipes, and (IIRC_ bigger turbos yielding up to 200 ftlbs or so are very available. I'm curious about the 1.0 but a lightly used FiST for 15-18k seems like a better deal and 30 mpg aint bad.

yes but almost nothing availible for the US model. The only tune is from Pumaspeed and the only intake stuff is from Pumaspeed and Mountune.

Nathan JansenvanDoorn
Nathan JansenvanDoorn Dork
12/5/16 6:58 p.m.
Shaun wrote: ...but a lightly used FiST for 15-18k seems like a better deal and 30 mpg aint bad.

I get an honest 40mpg out of my FiST - mixed city/hwy.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
12/5/16 9:10 p.m.
MrChaos wrote:
Shaun wrote: A couple 1.0 Fiestas posted used on CL in PDX for 6k - 7k with 20k or so on the clock and sat there for at least a couple weeks until I stopped looking. In Europe they are considered hopupable and all manner of kitted remaps, cat backs, downpipes, and (IIRC_ bigger turbos yielding up to 200 ftlbs or so are very available. I'm curious about the 1.0 but a lightly used FiST for 15-18k seems like a better deal and 30 mpg aint bad.
yes but almost nothing availible for the US model. The only tune is from Pumaspeed and the only intake stuff is from Pumaspeed and Mountune.

I really like the idea of the 1.0L ecoboost in the Fiesta, or even the nicer equipped Focus. But when I realized there was no aftermarket for them in the states I stopped looking around. I have haven't seen any that cheap out east as well.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K4rY71vzhZ4oqO9CIzIp3mFoiOy7fVO7zwVMal8zHl1QM1O9CC3nlVCHlIZdzqIQ