RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/17/17 5:14 p.m.

Yup, I am thinking about adding a turbo and how far down the rabbit hole I should go. (Fuel injection, MS, ethanol, DIS...)

The Renault 10 (I thought it was R8) that I just bought, isnt currently running and my wife said "you are putting a turbo on it right?" And I said "like, now?" She said "yes, now! It will be fun!"

So is there any good reason that I shouldnt use the 1st gen DSM turbo I already have, and buy a 1.0 Ecoboost's turbo from a junk yard?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/17 5:53 p.m.

Is the turbo integral with the manifold? That would be a good reason not to.

Or maybe I am thinking of a different engine.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/17/17 5:58 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Is the turbo integral with the manifold? That would be a good reason not to. Or maybe I am thinking of a different engine.

no the exhaust header is integral to the head. the turbo is removable.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/17/17 6:15 p.m.

I don't know if anybody who has told you this yet but the Cleon engine in the 8 was later developed into turbocharged versions in the 1980's. If I were you I might look into finding a SuperCinq/9/11 1.4 turbo engine and starting with that, as you will probably spend just as much or more in the long run adapting the ancient 8 engine for the same purpose when you could just bolt one in. Heck, you don't even know if the current one runs at all!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/17/17 6:15 p.m.

A very good reason- there's no aftermarket support to move the 1.0l EB engine to any other car. Which means you have to also move all the other vehicle modules and all of the OBD equipment over.

It's not just the engine. It's everything that connects to the ECU- body module, EVAP system, etc.. Not sure if that guy making a EB F100 using an F150 motor ever finished, but at least that engine has a engine swap ECU.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/17 6:20 p.m.
MrChaos wrote:
Knurled wrote: Is the turbo integral with the manifold? That would be a good reason not to. Or maybe I am thinking of a different engine.

Sweet! Thanks, Ford!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/17/17 6:36 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
MrChaos wrote:
Sweet! Thanks, Ford!

Given that it's not a performance engine, the advantages if an integral manifold outweighs the ability to have a higher performance header.

There are SO many choices of NA motors that make 1.0l power.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/17/17 6:45 p.m.

If Ford made the controls pack for the 1.0 EB, I would consider an engine swap, but at the moment just the turbo is what I am interested in.

Find me a cheap turbo renault engine local and I am game!

etifosi
etifosi SuperDork
6/17/17 6:53 p.m.

LeEcoboost R3. Do it!

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/17/17 6:54 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

I'm reading this as if RossD wants to put the turbo from the 1.0 Ecoboost onto the existing engine, not swap in the whole shebang.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/17/17 6:57 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

Correct!

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/17/17 7:09 p.m.
RossD wrote: Find me a cheap turbo renault engine local and I am game!

Look for any Renault Alliance/Encore on Craigslist with the 1.4L OHV engine (you can get whole cars for $300, an engine should be peanuts). Spend 10 minutes on eBay.co.uk grabbing bits from a turbo engine. Done!

If it ends up needing an engine anyway the US-spec 1.4 is probably your best bet as they are much more available than 8-era parts and it will be an upgrade in power right off the bat, plus it will give you factory fuel injection to play with.

(Note that the Alliance 1.7/2.0 is a later F-series engine and not the same at all, you need the 1.4)

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/17/17 8:26 p.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to BoxheadTim: Correct!

Ah. Not sure how common they are in a junk yard...

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/17/17 8:54 p.m.

Car-part.com has a bunch for $350ish, IIRC.

ssswitch
ssswitch Dork
6/18/17 10:03 a.m.

You might also want to consider the popular series of IHI RHB31 baby turbos, popular on kei cars and also our local Isuzu I-Mark and (I believe) Geo Metro/Chevy Sprint Turbos.

The reason I bring it up is that there are like a jillion Chinese sellers flinging these things and a lot of them have very aggressive volume discounts as well as broadly available brand-new flanges.

Might be a little small for a 1.0L-ish engine but it will probably still make okay power.

What's the smallest Rotrex? Probably way too expensive.

Which DSM turbo? TD05 still feels a little big.

Jumper K. Balls
Jumper K. Balls PowerDork
6/19/17 12:12 a.m.

If you cover shipping I will gift you the turbo i had on my 850. One of the two TD03s off of a Volvo S80. It was making strong boost by 3500 RPM on my 843cc setup. I will warn you it puts out some serious heat at 21psi

RossD The Renault 10 (I thought it was R8)

Wait, what do you mean? Your car is definitely not an R10. Does it have an R10 motor swap or something?

The R10 is a very different looking car than the 8

photo renault.jpg

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
6/19/17 12:29 a.m.
ssswitch wrote: You might also want to consider the popular series of IHI RHB31 baby turbos, popular on kei cars and also our local Isuzu I-Mark and (I believe) Geo Metro/Chevy Sprint Turbos. The reason I bring it up is that there are like a jillion Chinese sellers flinging these things and a lot of them have very aggressive volume discounts as well as broadly available brand-new flanges. Might be a little small for a 1.0L-ish engine but it will probably still make okay power.

I mark had a smaller version of an RHB5. Suzuki used the 31/32 on the Sprints. Good for about 135 hp max

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
6/19/17 8:01 a.m.

In reply to Jumper K. Balls:

I thought/think I had/have a R8, but when I posted to the Renault Club on Facebook, lots of the posts were saying the front and rear looked like a R10. The VIN on the title starts with R1190, but I haven't found the VIN on the car yet although I haven't really looked. So I'm confused. But you're right, your old car looks like a R10, and mine looks like a R8. FB linky dink.

The turbo I have is a TD05H-49178-01030 (14B) of questionable condition, if you want one in return.

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
6/19/17 1:06 p.m.

I have a real Holset GT1241 that needs a home if you want a easier to install option designed for aftermarket use.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EGIZDowNexUyDeJhRabFOLAx1lFZW1ny3E7cPhfwwLN5l8OKDNvb3eDKD7t475gz