1 2
rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
11/9/18 10:47 a.m.

Sometimes I feel like the biggest reason the Jeep hasn't ended up as a pile of parts is that it's mostly been my DD in the time I've had it.  So at some point, it *has* to be back in one piece, or at least close enough to drive it...

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/9/18 10:56 a.m.

An LS swap in 70 hours is a little quicker than you might find in some other platforms. Took me two years to do the MG, but that basically involved re-engineering the entire (small) car. Drive is not necessarily a substitute for actual time.

I think the purpose of the 10 hour rule is to ensure that actual real progress is made. A project that only sees 1 hour/week is going to sit around far longer than one that sees dedicated work. If it's just a noodling hobby that you do when you have nothing else going on, that's fine. If you actually want to get stuff done, you have to realize that it will get done much better if you expect to dedicate some time to it.

I've got a series of cars lined up that need some attention. Simply working on them whenever I feel like it has left some of them with no action in years. They're turning into lawn ornaments. Deciding that I'm actually going to work on them and get stuff done means I'll have to consciously set aside time to do things. I spent two hours in the shop last night doing over-due work on the M5 and the GRM/CM visit forced me to get my Mini back up, so I've got the momentum now!

dropstep
dropstep UltraDork
11/9/18 11:11 a.m.

I make the most progress when I'm willing too spend at least an hour a night on a project and usually 3-4 hours Saturday. Then I take the winter off because unheated garage and have to get motivated again every spring

dclafleur
dclafleur New Reader
11/9/18 12:37 p.m.

I don't normally have a lot of time to work on my cars but I set a goal of 30 minutes or one thing a night that I'm home.  I had a transmission project stall (birth of a child, career change, life in general) and that's what let me finish it.  Some nights I only undid one bolt or did a test fit, mark a bracket, drill a hole but it kept me moving forward.  10 hours a week would be a luxury at this point in my life which is probably why I limit myself to small projects currently.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
11/9/18 12:50 p.m.
parker said:

Most folks spend way more than 10 hours per week watching TV or on the internet.

Agreed, and I would certainly fall under that category. However, much of my interneting overlaps with my projects. What a lot of people see as "Mad Fab Skills" are just me implementing the stuff I just picked y'alls brains on, and having it work.

Pete

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/9/18 3:17 p.m.
NOHOME said:
parker said:

Most folks spend way more than 10 hours per week watching TV or on the internet.

Agreed, and I would certainly fall under that category. However, much of my interneting overlaps with my projects. What a lot of people see as "Mad Fab Skills" are just me implementing the stuff I just picked y'alls brains on, and having it work.

Pete

Guilty here (internet at least).

A problem is switching gears. I can sneak off to the internet for 5-10 minutes at a time and that all adds up quickly. If I need to go out to the garage, it is generally not a quick thing.

That said, if I made a goal of 10 hours a week car time and reduced the time I spent on the internet to focus more while at work, I bet my life would improve. I'm going to try that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bW6m7Y20b49Sc6RGF9EHropN4eyjoDyCWenX8xU4J2LzWrnIYksa8ZTpB1xEPzDm