1 2
RossD
RossD PowerDork
8/25/14 11:03 a.m.

I wonder if a 1.0 ecoboost would get better gas mileage in an unloaded Ranger than the 2.3 duratec...

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/25/14 11:38 a.m.
RossD wrote: I wonder if a 1.0 ecoboost would get better gas mileage in an unloaded Ranger than the 2.3 duratec...

At some point a Ranger is still a pick up. The engine wont matter that much.

BAMF
BAMF HalfDork
8/25/14 9:54 p.m.
RossD wrote: I wonder if a 1.0 ecoboost would get better gas mileage in an unloaded Ranger than the 2.3 duratec...

I've wondered that too. My dad has had a 1994 Ranger since new. I learned to drive on it. When get gets a new truck, I plan to buy the Ranger off him and give it more power. Or the same power it had new while using less fuel.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
8/27/14 4:19 p.m.

The other engine you might try is the GM Ecotec, made in 1.4, 1.6, 1.8, 2.0 etc. Choose your power level (a turbo version would work nicely for your purpose).

None would be as light as the 3 cylinder Ford, though. I want a Honda S800 with one of those engines in it!!

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
8/27/14 4:47 p.m.

Ford Racing sells the DI 2L standalone ECU and harness now.

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com/2_0L_ECOBOOST_ENGINE_CONTROL_PACK_p/m-6017-20t.htm

I imagine the 1L won't be far behind.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/27/14 8:21 p.m.

In reply to BAMF:

I have the same idea. I keep looking at Craigslist for clean 4x4s

gnc_field
gnc_field New Reader
2/8/17 8:43 p.m.

they do make a stand alone harness http://twinkam.co.uk/10-EcoBoost-Management

HFmaxi
HFmaxi New Reader
2/9/17 7:31 a.m.

ford also sells a control pack for the regular 2.0L TI-VCT out of the focus. A complete long block with wiring harness can be had for $500. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6017-20TIVCT

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/9/17 10:16 a.m.

In reply to gnc_field:

That is pretty cool. Is that a Ford part like the 2.0l harness HFmaxi posted?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
2/9/17 10:38 a.m.

I know it's not what the OP asked about, but what about the older ford Sigma (AKA Zetec S and Zetec SE) engine? Yes it's a 4cyl not a 3 cyl, but it's very popular in kit cars over in Europe and is small and light. Caterham have used them in a lot of cars, supposedly they only weigh about 90kg dry. Available from 1.2-1.7L. They must me cheap and plentiful in junk yards in the UK by now. Crate up a couple and put it on a slow boat. RWD and stand alone has been done dozens of times over. Note, this is no relataion to the iron block Zetec we got here.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/9/17 10:43 a.m.

I don't recommend the 1.0 anymore. There are more and more reports coming out of the UK and a few here where engines are popping at 35k miles to 70k miles because the engine boils off all the coolant because of the integrated turbo manifold on the head.

RXBeetle
RXBeetle Reader
2/9/17 11:30 a.m.

I don't think it's as much the engine itself as the calibration. The integrated manifold let it run closer to stoich over a lot wider range. Run lean and mean and pull enough heat out of the exhaust to keep the turbine an cat from melting away. If thats E10 gas and true AFR that's pretty much stoich at 20psi/5000 rpm!

So ditch the GDI, cobble up some injector bungs and run E85 on megasquirt. Maybe run a little electric water pump for a few minutes on shutdown just for peace of mind.

STM317
STM317 Dork
2/9/17 11:50 a.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson:

Couldn't you use an aluminum Duratec/MZR 4 cylinder and have the same basic thing without the hassle of international shipping?

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
2/9/17 11:55 a.m.
wheelsmithy wrote: In response to the 3 cyl Suzuki bit; Samurai or tracker 5 speed bolts up. (Or at least I hope so on the tracker transmission. I have two that I plan to put behind a G-13B, which shares the bell housing pattern with the G-10).

In the offroad world the tracker engine is a popular swap into the samurai so I would be confident that they would bolt up.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
2/9/17 12:50 p.m.

In reply to STM317:

Yes but he was talking compact and light. The Sigma is physically smaller and lighter.

MrChaos
2/9/17 8:35 p.m.

In reply to gearheadmb:

iirc the g10t is the same bolt pattern as the g13a/b/bb

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/9/17 8:45 p.m.
RXBeetle wrote: If thats E10 gas and true AFR that's pretty much stoich at 20psi/5000 rpm!

Hey, if'n it ain't detonating, or getting the pistons so hot you can pour them out the sump plug, why not?

Food for thought, small engines have to run cleaner than large ones since small ones work harder on the test cycle.

(More useless trivia: Mazda rotaries will quite happily run at stoich or leaner at WOT. What's it going to do, melt the IRON rotor that is constantly fed an oil spray from the inside? However, the catalysts HATE this, so the stock calibrations are tuned to run phenomenally rich at anything much over a fast idle, to keep the cats from slagging)

MrChaos
2/10/17 5:49 a.m.

In reply to RXBeetle:

it does run the fans and circulate the coolant after shutdown.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/10/17 7:07 a.m.
RXBeetle wrote: I don't think it's as much the engine itself as the calibration. The integrated manifold let it run closer to stoich over a lot wider range. Run lean and mean and pull enough heat out of the exhaust to keep the turbine an cat from melting away. If thats E10 gas and true AFR that's pretty much stoich at 20psi/5000 rpm! So ditch the GDI, cobble up some injector bungs and run E85 on megasquirt. Maybe run a little electric water pump for a few minutes on shutdown just for peace of mind.

FWIW, the whole stoich on the entire power run is something that you will see more of in the future.

If power can be made without breaking anything- the gain from running LBT isn't very much- so there's not much point in doing it if things are not too hot.

Just want to point that out.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
t0pCWELyHMA8vWd3LvkqaO1eyQaXTBgaUuDVbYdegrTBTSgwpfTJw6FsRSSlQ749