1 2 3
Derick Freese
Derick Freese SuperDork
2/21/13 4:49 a.m.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1M80MK2501&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL022113&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL022113--EMC-022113-Index--DiagnosticTestTools-_-9SIA1M80MK2501-L038B

There ya go. Item number 9SIA1M80MK2501 if my link fails.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/21/13 6:22 a.m.

Is that a scanner (including the software, etc to actually read all the codes from various vehicles), or an adapter (to work wirelessly with other scanners)?

It looks too good to be true.

Anyone have any experience?

mw
mw Dork
2/21/13 6:30 a.m.

If you have an android phone, this along with the torque app will turn it into a scanner. Mine works great. It let's you check all the diagnostic codes along with viewing a lot of real time data.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
2/21/13 6:30 a.m.

An android phone and the free app called "torque" is what you need along with this to read and reset codes as well as other diagnosis.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/21/13 6:53 a.m.

How about an IPhone 5?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
2/21/13 6:59 a.m.

Yes, Apple too.
Look in App Store for "torque" and its full description. You will not need the disk included with the reader, the torque software is better.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/21/13 7:22 a.m.

awesome! Thanks for posting this.

What level of android do you need to run the app? Im rocking 2.3.6. I can haz tork app?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
2/21/13 7:27 a.m.

Works for me on 2.3.4. Droid X

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/21/13 7:28 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Works for me on 2.3.4. Droid X

score...

foxtrapper
foxtrapper PowerDork
2/21/13 7:41 a.m.
SVreX wrote: It looks too good to be true. Anyone have any experience?

Same one is sold by various folk on ebay. It's one of many knock-offs, with a spotty record of actually working. That said, most do actually work.

I've got one myself, it works, though it has connectivity issues and is notorious for sporatic connection failure to the obd port itself.

I'm a little suspicious of its read abilities. Don't know enough about the hardware in it, or the Torque app, but I can hardly ever get any additional information from any vehicle with it, beyond the standard generic OBD information. As an example, it has never read a transmission temp, no matter how capable the car is of providing the information. Better readers will get the information.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/21/13 7:49 a.m.
SVreX wrote: Is that a scanner (including the software, etc to actually read all the codes from various vehicles), or an adapter (to work wirelessly with other scanners)? It looks too good to be true. Anyone have any experience?

This is an adapter to allow a computer, such as a smartphone, to interface with an OBD2 ECU.

The computer does the actual scanning, there's lots of free software that can do the job.

So it's basically an OBD2-to-PC-via-Bluetooth adapter.

It's not unusually cheap.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/21/13 7:59 a.m.

I just bought CY-B06 Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II Diagnostic Tool from Newegg for $16.88 w/ free shipping because the $12 one was out of stock (2 days ago, looks like they have more now).

I also dropped $4.99 on the Torque app for Android so for a total outlay of $22 or so... I hope to be able to clear codes, read codes, and see some instrumentation that isn't on the dash like EGT (on the truck).

I should have it here tomorrow so I'll report back over the weekend.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/21/13 8:04 a.m.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004B7YXOM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought that on Amazon prime a while back. It works great.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/21/13 8:08 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I just bought CY-B06 Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II Diagnostic Tool from Newegg for $16.88 w/ free shipping because the $12 one was out of stock (2 days ago, looks like they have more now). I also dropped $4.99 on the Torque app for Android so for a total outlay of $22 or so... I hope to be able to clear codes, read codes, and see some instrumentation that isn't on the dash like EGT (on the truck). I should have it here tomorrow so I'll report back over the weekend.

Please do, Im very interested in feedback

But really, for $12, I will probably buy it anyway. I have an Idle Air Control valve that acts up, and tosses codes every so often. So even if all I do is use it to get the car out of limp mode without having to pull off access panels and actually reset the ECU, it will be worth it in my book.

02Pilot
02Pilot HalfDork
2/21/13 8:30 a.m.

Ordered mine. If nothing else it should be far less cumbersome than using my first-gen Scangauge, which looks like something cobbled together in a garage in 1978.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/21/13 8:31 a.m.

>

Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:

I just bought CY-B06 Mini ELM327 V1.5 Bluetooth OBD2 OBD-II Diagnostic Tool from Newegg for $16.88 w/ free shipping because the $12 one was out of stock (2 days ago, looks like they have more now).

I also dropped $4.99 on the Torque app for Android so for a total outlay of $22 or so... I hope to be able to clear codes, read codes, and see some instrumentation that isn't on the dash like EGT (on the truck).

I should have it here tomorrow so I'll report back over the weekend.

Works great in my MR2 V6, even with the OBD2 port mounted in the trunk. I have an old DROID 2 that I use as a permanent "gauge". You can build dashboards in Torque to look at whatever you want, and scroll through 5-6 preconfigured screens of dashboards if you want. I use mine for water temp, as the stock gauge doesn't move off center until 230! degrees.

Ultra powerful customizable logging. Variable vs variable, or x over time, etc. It also uses the GPS so you can lay out data on top of your map for trip logging.

If you put in the weight of your car, it can use the GPS and accelerometer to calculate HP/torque/fuel economy, etc. You could build live a HP gauge if you were so inclined.

It has a HUD mode that reverses the image if you wanted to mount it on the dashboard and reflect off the windshield.

Freeze frame data, code scanning etc works great. Best $20 I've ever spent on a car.

If you had a tablet, you could almost build all the gauges you need. Old Android phones are cheap.

The "big" ELM327 device in the first post is the one I have and from my experience works the best. There are other smaller versions, but others have had issues with them.

Torque Pro in Google Play store

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/13 8:41 a.m.

Another happy user of Torque and cheap Chinese OBDII sensors here. My truck didn't come with a boost gauge, so I use Torque.

sachilles
sachilles SuperDork
2/21/13 12:29 p.m.

Bought one, thanks. Hadn't looked a torque in a while. Looks like it does GPS supported data logging now. I already have race render software, so this should be a good addition.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
2/21/13 12:33 p.m.

out of stock

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/21/13 12:35 p.m.

Unless I'm mistaken and stoopid, Torque is not for Apple. Im only showing two ways to make this happen with an iPhone. Am I wrong? I hope so.

2/21/13 12:39 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: Unless I'm mistaken and stoopid, Torque is not for Apple. Im only showing two ways to make this happen with an iPhone. Am I wrong? I hope so.

You can use other tools on a Win, Linux or OSX laptop and I'm sure if the Torque developers don't support iOS there is some other similar tool available.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 PowerDork
2/21/13 12:55 p.m.

Similar app for Apple may be called "Rev"

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/21/13 1:18 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: out of stock

Look on Amazon, they have about 6 different variants of the same OBDII sensor, all within about $5 of each other. Or at least they did the last time I looked a couple of months ago.

DrBoost
DrBoost PowerDork
2/21/13 1:50 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Similar app for Apple may be called "Rev"

In reply to GPS, Rev is the first program that comes up. It's got some pretty bad reviews on the app store. So far it looks like if you have an iPhone you need to go with either PLXDevices or Gopoint. Those are both about $100 from what I see. I was hoping I was/am wrong about torque though, my buddy has it and it's real nice.

2/21/13 2:19 p.m.
DrBoost wrote:
JohnRW1621 wrote: Similar app for Apple may be called "Rev"
In reply to GPS, Rev is the first program that comes up. It's got some pretty bad reviews on the app store. So far it looks like if you have an iPhone you need to go with either PLXDevices or Gopoint. Those are both about $100 from what I see. I was hoping I was/am wrong about torque though, my buddy has it and it's real nice.

Yikes. Maybe snag an old DroidX off a friend or ebay on the cheap. Just a quick search turned up a couple auctions in the $20s.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zCIimgh4utO4FLopSUhm2uKh6hCZvtlNx7ewcyGjR85sUB00bkVvvttUGe2l0xUm