1 2 3
solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/5/20 6:12 p.m.

Ok. Sold my TL. Looking for whats next. I have $7000 cash. Would add up to ~$5000 financed if I was really in love.

Want a V8.

"4 door" would be nice but 2 with ample space is an option.

3 pedals. No exceptions.

Need to fit a car seat, fortunately he is forward facing and can get in himself and this would be the 3rd or 4th option for car seating, only the occasional joyride.

Dream is a G8 at the moment but I couldn't do that unless I bought a wreck, which I'm considering pending a conversation with an acquaintance who does that.

Camaro/Firebird/Mustang/GTO seems too small in the back. Maybe not?

I'm a GM/Honda guy so branching out is uncomfortable.

5 series BMW?

Something I've overlooked?

Old project and build what I want?

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/20 6:21 p.m.

First thought is this but it's auto.  Manual valve body work?

Good luck finding a modern V8 with a manual but you mention older project car.  That leaves a lot of possiblities for something cool yet practical  Fox platform anything not Mustang is where my mind is going.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/20 7:13 p.m.

E39 540i.

Buy the best example you can find, use the rest for the maintenance and repairs it will need sooner or later because it's old enough to drive itself to college.  But DO the repairs instead of saying "eh, someday".

Because it's that old, it probably is done depreciating, too.

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/5/20 7:49 p.m.

First gen CTS-V?  Not sure if those are down to that price yet or not.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/5/20 8:19 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

E39 540i.

Maybe even an e34 540i.  You can still find those now and then in the hands of enthusiasts/collectors who've kept them in good repair.  

solfly
solfly HalfDork
8/5/20 8:43 p.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

First thought is this but it's auto.  Manual valve body work?

Good luck finding a modern V8 with a manual but you mention older project car.  That leaves a lot of possiblities for something cool yet practical  Fox platform anything not Mustang is where my mind is going.

I'd get arrested or killed by my wife if I put my kid in that.

Older project may be the answer. Chevelle/Caprice/Malibu?

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/5/20 8:52 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

E39 540i.

Maybe even an e34 540i.  You can still find those now and then in the hands of enthusiasts/collectors who've kept them in good repair.  

Under $7k?  That's bad to know.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/20 8:58 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

Those would work except you'd have to manual swap yourself and while I'm a GM man at heart GM just didn't make manual V8 a real easy (cheap) thing to do.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
8/5/20 9:02 p.m.

G8 GT?

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
8/5/20 9:05 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

E39 540i.

Dont do this. Unless valley pans, timing chains, idler arms, control arm bushings, window regulators, and, surely I am forgetting some other items, are on your list of "love to do these for weekend projects".

BMWs make straight 6s and make them very well. 

Gen 1 CTS V or find a e60 535i sport manual ( I think they made these in manual). Turbo thrust feels like a V8 especially with a JB4 tune dropping 400 whp.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/5/20 9:16 p.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

The V8 is bad, but then you suggest a turbo six?

I wouldn't own a turbo BMW with someone else's money.  They seem to love to suddenly require $6-8k in repairs when the valvetrain electricals suffer a failure. 

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/5/20 9:22 p.m.

How cheap are early Challengers getting, and could you get one with a V8 and manual?

I was behind one the other day, two car seats and a dog in the back seat.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/5/20 9:37 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) said:

How cheap are early Challengers getting, and could you get one with a V8 and manual?

I was behind one the other day, two car seats and a dog in the back seat.

I agree 100% - Challenger was what popped in my head when I read your requirements. Probably a higher mileage one to get in the budget range, as they hold their value very well.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
8/5/20 10:05 p.m.

Why the Challenger and not the Charger? Yeah it's not as nice-looking maybe, but it has four doors...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/5/20 10:10 p.m.

You're not getting a G8 GXP for $12,000 unless it's mangled or salvage . 3 peddle G8s command a premium.  

The answer is 94-96 Impala SS with a T56 swap. They exist. They are awesome.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/5/20 10:11 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

No manual.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/5/20 11:06 p.m.

There is no thing more expensive in this world than a free boat or a cheap 540i.

Early CTS-V might be the 'droid you;re looking for. G8 GT was my first thought, too, but I had no idea how expensive the manual cas had gotten. Yikes.

Pete. (l33t FS)
8/6/20 5:40 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

There is no thing more expensive in this world than a free boat or a cheap 540i.

That's why you get the best one you can find.

(Not the best one you can afford.  Subtle but important difference)

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/6/20 5:44 a.m.

New edge Mustang will fit seats in back, convertible makes it easier for the kids to get in and out and makes it cheaper. Makes the best V8 noises imaginable and isn't so fast that you'll end up in jail.

Easy!

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
8/6/20 5:53 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

In reply to Olemiss540 :

The V8 is bad, but then you suggest a turbo six?

I wouldn't own a turbo BMW with someone else's money.  They seem to love to suddenly require $6-8k in repairs when the valvetrain electricals suffer a failure. 

Yes, BMW makes 6 cylinder cars and they make them well. 

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
8/6/20 6:30 a.m.
Dave M (Forum Supporter) said:

New edge Mustang will fit seats in back, convertible makes it easier for the kids to get in and out and makes it cheaper. Makes the best V8 noises imaginable and isn't so fast that you'll end up in jail.

Easy!

S197s are also in that range, look even better and make more power.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/6/20 6:46 a.m.

This thread needs more jaguar suggested within it. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/6/20 6:47 a.m.

In reply to Olemiss540 :

I would argue they lost the plot with the transition to the N5x-series turbo engines. There are just too many horror stories out there as bad or worse than the M6x-series V8s, including a few board members here who've documented some pretty terrible experiences.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

This thread needs more jaguar suggested within it. 

They haven't sold anything with three pedals and four real seats in a long, long time.

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/6/20 7:01 a.m.

V1 /thread

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/6/20 7:10 a.m.

Also on the Challenger R/T bandwagon.  Enough V8 manuals were sold the prices aren't outrageous. You can even find them at CarMax.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4UxdgdicmZOtNyRMiItxRTtts7de4uMVq1uSvYULtRkdu6aFfnHDMBjeslk2FmwC