ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/21/19 11:18 a.m.

That's what the local Ford dealer just quoted me to replace a leaking pinion seal on my 2005 Mustang GT.   Uh....no?

It's been years since I paid a repair place to much of anything to a vehicle, but as a move toward spending my time on fun wrenching and not repair wrenching I was planning to farm out the pinion seal. But not for $1200!!!

The whole call for a quote was kind of a debacle. Woman in service dept couldn't find any sort of listing for replacing a pinion seal. Transferred me to the parts department who quoted me $30 for the seal. I explained I wanted a quote on getting it REPLACED, not just getting it. He transferred me to "Ken" for a quote, then came back on the line and told me $1249. After I picked my jaw up off the floor I asked why it was so high. He didn't know, that was just the number Ken told him. But it does include fluids.frown

I wonder if they are quoting it with actually replacing the crush sleeve and everything? I had a an 8.8 completely rebuilt with a new gear set a decade ago for under $800. Wish I could find that guy again...

I do believe I'll be getting some more quotes....

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
1/21/19 11:28 a.m.

They don't show a pinion seal in flat rate, but they do show "replace companion flange" at 1.1, so add .3 or so to that and its legitimate.  They have quoted you for pinion bearings.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/19 12:51 p.m.

You could likely get an actual seal for that price.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
1/21/19 12:55 p.m.

Sounds like they are quoting for the seal, crush sleeve and pinion bearing replacement. Probably the only way they can guarantee it won't leak. I would do it myself before paying that. It isn't that hard on a solid axle car, I could see it being a bit more $$$ for the IRS setup.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
1/21/19 12:56 p.m.

In reply to Wally :

butchered and ready to cook!

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/19 12:57 p.m.

I paid less than that for a rear end rebuild about 4 years ago. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
1/21/19 1:19 p.m.

According to Alldata, Ford's standard labor time for a pinion seal replacement is 0.9 hours. Somebody must have looked up the wrong procedure. Even replacing a pinion bearing is listed as a 4.1 hour job.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/21/19 2:11 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

According to Alldata, Ford's standard labor time for a pinion seal replacement is 0.9 hours. Somebody must have looked up the wrong procedure. Even replacing a pinion bearing is listed as a 4.1 hour job.

That's about what I was expecting. I was figuring about $250-$300 at the dealership, which I still consider high but, ya know, dealership. 

What's dealer labor go for these days? $150/hr?

EDIT: Just called the Ford dealer in the next town over. $288.23 out the door. 

so, yeah, won't be taking ANY service work to the dealer here. Idiots.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/21/19 2:51 p.m.

It’s about 250 for a seal replacement. I’ve replaced too many in my lifetime. Only way I could get them “leak free” was some teflon paste on the splines and anaerobic sealer in the outside of the seal.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/19 6:33 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

That or they priced it out as "berk off, we only have people barely qualified as parts-hangers, we don't want the liability of possibly berking up your rearend"

I'm pretty sure a full-on rearend re-bearing would run about $1250 at dealer labor pricing.  If you have a chisel, a hammer, an impact gun, and a small token of sense, you can replace a pinion seal without berking things up too badly.  (The hammer and chisel are to match-mark the nut, pinion flange, and the end of the pinion gear so you can put the nut exactly where it used to be.  This is not in any manufacturer-apprioved service procedure, but it's the way things are done outside the ivory tower dealership-land)

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
1/21/19 6:36 p.m.

I could do it. I just don't WANT to.  I'm willing to pay the other dealership the $288.00 just so I dont have to crawl around on the cold cement right now, lol.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/21/19 7:41 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Buhahahahahahaha... right. Dealerships do it too. As long as my rotational torque was close enuff to original, it was good to go.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/19 8:00 p.m.
Ranger50 said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Buhahahahahahaha... right. Dealerships do it too. As long as my rotational torque was close enuff to original, it was good to go.

But it's not the PROCEDURE.... so if there is a problem, you're personally berked.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/21/19 8:15 p.m.
Knurled. said:
Ranger50 said:

In reply to Knurled. :

But it's not the PROCEDURE.... so if there is a problem, you're personally berked.

Actually my 95 Dakota service manual says that is a correct procedure. Only caveat is if you miss, you’re eating time at replacing the crush sleeve.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/21/19 10:06 p.m.

This is why for non-warranty work I find competent Indy shops over the dealer.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZF0KJdIElW3ZtETgpQV8X1xCHbalGIfxv5l6QpO0MxX4ew5uVLM4gHar1ot8wlGc