1 2
OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
9/18/14 11:45 p.m.

So, because I'm a little nuts, I took a look and it looks like the early cars (2008-2010) are getting cheap, relatively speaking. No, I don't want a 135i, I'd hurt myself with the 220hp the 128 puts out, don't need another 100.

Run for the hills on these cars? Reliable as a tank?

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/19/14 12:01 a.m.

I was looking for performance parts for NA power for this car and it seemed like none was made. This was about 2 years ago before I ended up buying a Subaru.

I was surprised since Dinan races them.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/19/14 12:42 a.m.

Why build performance parts for a car when there's a factory version with 50% more power?

That said, I've heard good things. Lots of electrical problems on my friends past 135i though, one of the main reasons she got rid of it.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
9/19/14 1:17 p.m.

Nobody has one of these (or has worked on them)?

A quick google search shows some relatively minor things, but I found nothing like the Focus foibles I see when I visit FF (see, I'll trade/sell the Focus for a 128i, as it were...).

Grinch337
Grinch337 New Reader
9/19/14 1:40 p.m.

You can get an alleged 30 horsepower by adding the intake manifold and associated parts from the 2006 330i.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-176947-n52-330-intake-manifold-software-upgrade-for-128i325i328i528iz4.aspx

That and adding an LSD will make this a very fun car. There are many people that believe the 128i is the last of the old-school BMWs. Matt Russell, a BMW of North America employee and former ///M Brand Manager has said that the 128i (at the time a few years ago) was the most driver focused car in the lineup due to it comparatively lack of doodads. Plus it should be a lot more reliable than the turbo cars.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/19/14 2:04 p.m.

I've always been curious about these, but have never had a chance to drive one. The power to weight is just under an E36 M3, the size is tidy, and it's naturally aspirated, so the throttle response should be good. The turbo BMWs make a lot of power, but you lose the rush to the redline that the N/A cars have. I always thought this may be the best 1 series. (apart from the 1 series M--- but those are another story....)

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/19/14 2:20 p.m.

this thread made me go right to craigslist. I was surprised.

https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/cto/4671733699.html

2008, grey, some dinan parts, sport package, 6 speed, less than 55k miles, 12.5k ask!!! Anyone want my 2012 focus hatch? geesh.

rcutclif
9/19/14 2:21 p.m.

does say rebuilt title... so might want to check into that...

PseudoSport
PseudoSport HalfDork
9/19/14 2:56 p.m.

Wheel selection is not as great as the 3 series due to different offsets. Widest tire you can fit up front without rubbing is a 225. Any wider will need rolled fenders or camber plates. (The 235's on my 135i rub). Factory camber is zero in the front and is not adjustable. Camber plates or M3 control arms will fix that.

What is the price difference between a 135i and 128i in your area? Besides the power the brakes and HID’s are a huge upgrade. Neither car gets a real limited slip

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
9/19/14 4:48 p.m.

in reply to rcutclif - Uh-huh. I'm asking the same question, because I have a 2012 Focus hatch.

The prices aren't too bad for a couple years newer, saw a few around 18K (so a payment of not much, depending on what I might get for the Focus...)

in reply to pseudosport/grinch337 - Not too worried about LSD, and though front camber is non-adjustable, it isn't on the Focus either, and I think it handles pretty well with the springs, wider tires, Steeda rear bar - and I'm thinking the lil' bimmer would run rings around the Focus. Besides, control arms are usually pretty cheap (relatively speaking).

As to a bump in power, I'm not even worried about that; it'll be quicker than the Focus, which is not fast, and I can already about get myself in plenty of trouble with it's pedestrian and factory claimed 160hp.

I do like a little more rumble in the exhaust, though, and kits are ridicilles 'spensive. Even "muffler kits" are like $750 (I don't think so... I'll go get some stainless tubing and a magnaflow for about a 1/4 of that).

Wheels and tires I didn't look in to, but the 128s seem to come with smallish looking sneakers. Do any of the other, older, factory wheels bolt up?

I think it's time to go drive one of these things...

kanaric
kanaric Dork
9/19/14 5:31 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: Why build performance parts for a car when there's a factory version with 50% more power? That said, I've heard good things. Lots of electrical problems on my friends past 135i though, one of the main reasons she got rid of it.

Some prefer NA power, especially in a BMW.

4Msfam
4Msfam Reader
9/19/14 5:42 p.m.

My wife lets me drive her 128i at times... We've really become attached to the car. As a DD, the car is just solid. It tracks very well on the road, and is a great highway cruiser. We bought our 2011 one as a CPO car for less than a new Focus or Mazda3. I think it was an awesome purchase!

Through BMWCCA and joint PCA events, we've done a whole autocross season and 2 driver skill days. In autocross with a stock setup,(with some Hankook summer sport tires recommended by Tirerack on spare e46 rims) we're running times that are competitive with lowered, suspension modified e36 M3's. I think that's pretty good! I've had numerous drivers look over our car and be surprised that it's stock. I will say it's sensitive to tire pressures (I run 205/50/17's.. when these run out I'll go 225 or 235's in 17's).. it seems to like about 4 psi over stock front / rear. It's pretty well balanced, with a tendency to understeer in the tighter turns. The 135i is more front heavy, so it understeers even more.

Mod's I'd love to try... new shocks first, then e46 M3 sway bars front / rear. I hear the rear is slightly harder to install as you'd have to drop the rear sub assembly, but even in itself that's just time. This guy is apparently pretty competitive in STX vs. the FRZ's, and placed well at nationals. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946030

Maintaining the car has been a breeze! The oil change on this car is the easiest I've ever done! I've even changed the rear diff oil in under 30 min using a Harbor Freight pump. It's a pretty simple car, with minimal electronic stuff. Knock on wood, no issues at all (except for a VANOS bolt recall that's still waiting on parts to come in.. but we still drive it).

So yes, I'd give a huge thumbs up on finding one.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
9/19/14 6:19 p.m.
4Msfam wrote: My wife lets me drive her 128i at times... We've really become attached to the car. As a DD, the car is just solid. It tracks very well on the road, and is a great highway cruiser. We bought our 2011 one as a CPO car for less than a new Focus or Mazda3. I think it was an awesome purchase! Through BMWCCA and joint PCA events, we've done a whole autocross season and 2 driver skill days. In autocross with a stock setup,(with some Hankook summer sport tires recommended by Tirerack on spare e46 rims) we're running times that are competitive with lowered, suspension modified e36 M3's. I think that's pretty good! I've had numerous drivers look over our car and be surprised that it's stock. I will say it's sensitive to tire pressures (I run 205/50/17's.. when these run out I'll go 225 or 235's in 17's).. it seems to like about 4 psi over stock front / rear. It's pretty well balanced, with a tendency to understeer in the tighter turns. The 135i is more front heavy, so it understeers even more. Mod's I'd love to try... new shocks first, then e46 M3 sway bars front / rear. I hear the rear is slightly harder to install as you'd have to drop the rear sub assembly, but even in itself that's just time. This guy is apparently pretty competitive in STX vs. the FRZ's, and placed well at nationals. http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946030 Maintaining the car has been a breeze! The oil change on this car is the easiest I've ever done! I've even changed the rear diff oil in under 30 min using a Harbor Freight pump. It's a pretty simple car, with minimal electronic stuff. Knock on wood, no issues at all (except for a VANOS bolt recall that's still waiting on parts to come in.. but we still drive it). So yes, I'd give a huge thumbs up on finding one.

(breaking out in a sweat, trembling hands) ...must... go... drive one.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
9/19/14 7:09 p.m.

Yeah, I will have to keep my eyes open for one local to me. This is a possibility for my next car.

madeatdark
madeatdark New Reader
9/23/14 6:14 a.m.

I have a 2013 128i that I ordered, it only has the M Sport package and a 6speed. It is a fun car though it would be nice to have a little more power since it is kind of heavy for its size.

I got it when I moved to Germany and so far it have been a fun car, was fun to drive it on the Nurburgring. :)

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
9/23/14 8:10 a.m.

The reason an alpenweis white 08 is not in my possession is because the insurance payments would have been almost as much as the car payments, and this was just the 128i I cannot believe how much it would be for the 135i.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/23/14 8:18 a.m.

So question for the group, What are the giveaways for the M-Sport suspension on these? This may be my answer to a single car that fits all needs.

Matthew Huizing
Matthew Huizing Reader
9/23/14 10:42 a.m.

Mmmm, magnesium engine block (the turbo engines didn't).

Real multilink rear suspension as opposed to the Z-axle in E36/E46/E85/E86.

The E82 is an E90 3-series with a narrower/shorter body. The stock 135i wheels are 7.5" +49 and 8.5" +52. BMW flared the 1M to fit the M3 wheels (9" +31/10" +25). Most aftermarket BMW wheels are made for aggressive E36 fitment and will stick out too far. I would look for late C4/C5/C6 Corvette wheels though E46/E85/E86 wheels may also have enough offset.

rcutclif
9/23/14 11:17 a.m.
bmw88rider wrote: So question for the group, What are the giveaways for the M-Sport suspension on these? This may be my answer to a single car that fits all needs.

call a dealer with the VIN ready. They should be able to tell you the factory spec. Then, just look (and ask) if anything was changed.

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
3/28/15 1:46 p.m.

Test drove a 128i today. Honestly wasn't sure whether or not I would like it but here's what I came away with.

Snug fitting seats, I'm not a big guy at all but they were on the verge of feeling confining. (BRZ and FoST/FiST recaros felt confining)

Felt solid overall Handling was firm without being harsh or crashing over potholes

Light clutch the straight 6 had plenty of torque through the curve. I know everyone raves about the new turbo-4's but I'm starting to hate them, maybe I'm just light on the throttle but most of my driving (when not spirited) seems to catch the 4's off boost, or waiting for boost to build for a highway pass and then it just seems like your driving an overweight underpowered pile (If the 228i still came with a 6cyl I'd be on that!)

Good MPG. Found the average in the menu and the overall avg listed was 28.6

Had a brake hold feature?(seemed like the car held on a hill after I let the brake off.

Fairly spacious interior especially with the rear seats down. Will easily hold skis, most short board surfboards and should fit a bike in a pinch.

Didn't like: No spare tire. The battery is in the trunk where you would expect a spare.

High belt line for the window sills wasn't so high that it impaired outward sight lines but probably uncomfortable for resting an arm out the window.

Also unsure if there was a seat raising feature but the binnacle for the gauges seemed a bit on the higher side (I'm also on the shorter side)

Jamey_from_Legal
Jamey_from_Legal New Reader
3/30/15 11:39 a.m.

I've had that N52B30 motor in two cars (and the N52B25 in one other).

AFAIK, it's the last of the great BWM inline 6 motors.

I've had no serious trouble with any of them. One repair each for each of the three:

One water pump failure at 80k, easy to fix.

One coil pack/injector failure at 40k, easy to fix.

One leaky oil pan gasket at 70k, PITA to fix but didn't really need fixing. It was a tiny leak, but my daughter's car, and my wife was not willing to tolerate any state of disrepair.

We have one of the turbo 4s now too, and it's fine but it's a busy little box, not the same smoothness.

Never had one of the 6 cyl. turbos. I hear they're nice but I'm waiting for them to debug the tech completely (like Mercedes). Plus I got one of the last NA V8s, so why bother?

ScottyB
ScottyB Reader
3/30/15 12:25 p.m.

i get the impression they're very underrated and overlooked cars thanks to the existence of the 135's. a friend owned one and really loved it....he said its basically the equivalent of a modern E36 M3 with the same power/weight ratio and general lack of extraneous luxo features that the other BMWs come loaded up with these days.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
3/30/15 1:34 p.m.

I think they will be the next e36. Extremely practical, well appointed "luxury" sporty car for the masses on the used market.

I just can't stand the new (2015) body style, or I'd buy one.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
3/30/15 1:58 p.m.
he said its basically the equivalent of a modern E36 M3 with the same power/weight ratio

DanyloS
DanyloS New Reader
3/30/15 3:47 p.m.

While they're not exactly the same they seem fairly close especially for a car that's 15 yrs newer and complies w/ modern safety requirements.

Quick google search gives me the following stats:

E36 M3: HP 240 Tq 225 Weight 3,219 Length 174.5in

128i: HP 230 Tq 200 Weight 3,252 Length 171.7

So weight/power ratio M3 vs. 128i 13.4 vs 14.1

That Dinnan intake mod would have the 128i edging out the M3

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
irrCZHDnTv2HI6gNh4kAPTKsqUyM9Ans3MQLRezFNZy4KXVUFaagXZPT063oWoDH