Moparman Reader
April 19, 2010 2:16 p.m.

What is the best 13 inch non-R performance tire available? I have read in GRM that the Sumitomo HTR 200s are a good cheap ST autocross tire (relatively speaking).

The car is a 1985 Mazda RX-7. It is my middle son's first car. It will be his daily driver and his auto-x car. I want him to learn car control on the tire on which he will be driving, but I want a tire with good traction at the same time.

Looking for input.

Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
April 19, 2010 2:28 p.m.

That's a great start. I'd recommend it.

DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
April 19, 2010 2:30 p.m.

im in the same boat as you. Those are are on Online Tires for something like $50 a piece. Gonna take the plunge in a week or two to buy em...

EvanB HalfDork
April 19, 2010 2:41 p.m.

I had the HTR 200s on my Miata in 13in. I never autocrossed them but they are pretty good on the street.

Ian F Dork
April 19, 2010 3:32 p.m.

I have attempted to auto-x on HTR200's. It was not a pleasant experience.

I'd recommend digging up a set of 14" wheels and getting Star Specs in the newly available 186/60-14 size. More the 2x as much money, but waaaay more the 2x as good a tire.

Woody SuperDork
April 19, 2010 3:49 p.m.

I bought a set of HTR200's to roll my Miata around on when I was setting it up for track duty. It came with mismatched tires that needed replacement. I wanted to be able to drive it on the street occasionally. Once I had the suspension installed, I ran the car in an autocross on the Sumitomos as a shakedown.

After one autocross, the tires showed significant wear and there were some major chunks missing.

They are not autocross tires. But they are cheap.

Moparman Reader
April 19, 2010 4:30 p.m.

I cannot find 14 inch 4x110 wheels. I want him legal for E-Stock so I cannot go to a 15 inch wheel either.

Flat_Black13z New Reader
April 19, 2010 6:49 p.m.

In reply to Moparman:

diamond racing wheels.com

Mazda787b New Reader
April 19, 2010 7:46 p.m.
Moparman wrote: I cannot find 14 inch 4x110 wheels. I want him legal for E-Stock so I cannot go to a 15 inch wheel either.

Honda, Miata wheels are 4x100. A whole set of Rotas in 15x7 can be had for $500 new.

Seconded on the diamond wheels as a good value as well.

Moparman Reader
April 19, 2010 8:02 p.m.
Mazda787b wrote:
Moparman wrote: I cannot find 14 inch 4x110 wheels. I want him legal for E-Stock so I cannot go to a 15 inch wheel either.

Honda, Miata wheels are 4x100. A whole set of Rotas in 15x7 can be had for $500 new.

Seconded on the diamond wheels as a good value as well.

Yes, but RX-7 wheels are 4x110m. If I can get Diamonds with the exact same offset it would work. They have to be very close to what was available from the factory to be legal for stock. This is also supposed to be a first daily driver for my 16-year old.

oldsaw Dork
April 19, 2010 9:43 p.m.
Moparman wrote:
Mazda787b wrote:
Moparman wrote: I cannot find 14 inch 4x110 wheels. I want him legal for E-Stock so I cannot go to a 15 inch wheel either.

Honda, Miata wheels are 4x100. A whole set of Rotas in 15x7 can be had for $500 new.

Seconded on the diamond wheels as a good value as well.

Yes, but RX-7 wheels are 4x110m. If I can get Diamonds with the exact same offset it would work. They have to be very close to what was available from the factory to be legal for stock. This is also supposed to be a first daily driver for my 16-year old.

You can probably get Diamonds in any size/offset you want to afford; they aren't that much different compared to off-the-shelf alloys. Check for used wheels, too; you might find some Spec RX7 racers who are cleaning -out their garages and trailers.

If this is your son's first car and he's going to autocross it, the HTR's should be just fine. He's just learning how to drive and master car-control so there is no need to spend big money on a more "competitive" tire - as if he would even know the difference.

BTW, if the car has alloy wheels now, they should be at least 5.5" wide. That's a wheel wide enough to stick with the OE-size 185/70's, but will easily take 205/60's. IIRC, the OE steel rims were 5" wide and you can still squeeze the 205's on them, but wider is always better

P71 SuperDork
April 19, 2010 10:18 p.m.

Yeah, 4x110's for a 1st Gen 7 are tough to find. It took me 6 months and a crazy amount of elbow work to buy and then restore my old 14's. I'd recommend a Falken ZIEX 512 or 912 on the 13's, and grab a spare set of stock alloys for V710's for autocross.

Toyman01 Dork
April 19, 2010 10:23 p.m.

My son and I autocrossed a RX-7 on HTR200 for two years. Not the greatest autocross tire, but they got the job done while we were learning to autocross. They do feather pretty bad though. I would start with them even with the feathering problem. You really don't need a sticky tire while he is learning car control. If you are worried about the feathering, you might consider getting them shaved.

After we graduated to a stickier tire, I got a set of Marsh Racing wheels in 13X8 to run slicks on. They will build just about any diameter with any lug pattern and offset.

Mazda787b New Reader
April 19, 2010 10:25 p.m.
Moparman wrote:
Mazda787b wrote:
Moparman wrote: I cannot find 14 inch 4x110 wheels. I want him legal for E-Stock so I cannot go to a 15 inch wheel either.

Honda, Miata wheels are 4x100. A whole set of Rotas in 15x7 can be had for $500 new.

Seconded on the diamond wheels as a good value as well.

Yes, but RX-7 wheels are 4x110m. If I can get Diamonds with the exact same offset it would work. They have to be very close to what was available from the factory to be legal for stock. This is also supposed to be a first daily driver for my 16-year old.

Sorry, total brain fart there. Carry on.

EvanB HalfDork
April 19, 2010 11:13 p.m.
P71 wrote: Yeah, 4x110's for a 1st Gen 7 are tough to find. It took me 6 months and a crazy amount of elbow work to buy and then restore my old 14's. I'd recommend a Falken ZIEX 512 or 912 on the 13's, and grab a spare set of stock alloys for V710's for autocross.

In my experience ZIEX 912s aren't any better than the Sumitomos

Vigo Reader
April 19, 2010 11:45 p.m.

I had htr200s and autoX'd on them for a full year.. and got 30k street miles out of them too. Woulda been 40 if i was nicer to them.

I p0wned HS in my local club on those tires in a STOCK Dodge Dynasty.

I had NO wear issues other than the one time i flat spotted one during a long decreasing radius turn on the brakes from 80mph.. in my dodge dynasty

I own some falken 912s right now and i feel they are less grippy than the htr200s.

Did i mention the HTR200s were very quiet and had great hydroplaning resistance?

If they made them in more sizes id be buying some right now. Certainly not a super-high performance tire but for a performance-oriented street tire you cant do much better for the price.

P71 SuperDork
April 20, 2010 8:47 a.m.
EvanB wrote:
P71 wrote: Yeah, 4x110's for a 1st Gen 7 are tough to find. It took me 6 months and a crazy amount of elbow work to buy and then restore my old 14's. I'd recommend a Falken ZIEX 512 or 912 on the 13's, and grab a spare set of stock alloys for V710's for autocross.

In my experience ZIEX 912s aren't any better than the Sumitomos

Which is why I said, "and grab a spare set of stock alloys for V710's for autocross."

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: The Art of Understatement

1 day ago in Articles

The Harvey brothers dominated autocross in an obsolete Datsun a couple decades ago.

2017 Volkswagen Golf TSI SE

1 day ago in New Car Reviews

The quintessential European hatchback continues to pour out of Volkswagen's plants. Our test car featured four doors, a turbocharged 4-cylinder ...

Join the Grassroots Motorsports Dyno Day

2 days ago in News

Join us for a dyno day in Sterling, Virginia.

We're Giving Away a $500 Race Ramps Certificate

2 days ago in News

Joining the drawing is totally free.

25 Project Path

3 days ago in Articles

A walk through 25 of our favorite project cars from the past.

Our Turbo Miata Goes Boom

3 days ago in Project Cars

Engine swap and suspension revamp before our race in two weeks? Challenge accepted.

The Ultimate Weekend Getaway for Your Car Club

4 days ago in News

Save a corral space just for your club at the Mitty.

Reader's Ride of the Week: V8 Jag

4 days ago in News

It’s a long-wheelbase 1974 Jaguar XJ6 fitted with a 350-cubic-inch Chevy V8.

Honing Cylinders

4 days ago in Project Cars

We hone our LS1's cylinders

Break Maiden

1 week ago in Articles

Creating a turbocharged road racing champion from a vintage Ford Mustang.

Meet Us at Sebring

1 week ago in News

We'll be at the Mobil 1 Twelve Hours of Sebring. Will you?

2017 Honda Accord Coupe Touring

1 week ago in New Car Reviews

Honda has been pumping out Accords for over 40 years now. Obviously they have a recipe that just plain works. ...

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
d4SaqSjzCKPhHomAT1NsqOPZ4eSt6EFN