David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/28/17 12:36 p.m.

For years you’ve watched cars circle the track. This year will be different, though: You’re going to go from spectator to participant.

Don’t worry, making that transition doesn’t require old family money or knowledge of some secret handshake. It just takes a little guidance and encouragement–and that’s where we come in.

We’ve been at this game for decades, and know …

Read the rest of the story

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/28/17 1:07 p.m.

Through in ICE racing for those that are fortunate to live where there is ice.

All you need is a car, helmet and four winter tires.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Dork
9/28/17 5:01 p.m.

And remember to always wave at the corner workers on the cool-down lap. No Wave, No Save cheeky

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
9/28/17 7:57 p.m.

If the Red Bull Global Rallycross comes anywhere near you, I'd recommend volunteering to work the event. Did it in August in Atlantic City and highly recommend it.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/28/17 9:13 p.m.

If you need any contacts for the local F&C or any other race workers PM me. It's a lot of fun with some really cool experiences like working the point at the top of the corkscrew at leguna seca or the top of the hill at COTA. Great way to learn lines and see pro races for free too. 

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
9/29/17 4:19 p.m.

I would say work the local dirt track, there is one pretty much everywhere that always need help with stuff. cool to see some updates on this.

dannyzabolotny
dannyzabolotny Reader
9/29/17 5:43 p.m.

I'm kinda going through some of this now— I went drag racing last week, going drag racing next week. Then once I overhaul my brakes and buy a helmet I'll sign up for NASA and start doing some proper track days. Should be very entertaining to see how my 4000lb car handles it. I have no intention of making it lighter either, since it's my DD.

FPZguy
FPZguy New Reader
5/21/18 6:40 p.m.

In the "old days", you could find road rally's in almost any large town in the states.  They've really decreased in popularity, to the point that National SCCA event only attract 15-20 cars.  Perhaps because they've gradually became so complex only the hard core could compete.  It's a shame, they were really fun and didn't require anything more then a road worthy car and an interest in driving it.

David S. Wallens
12/7/19 4:05 p.m.

And since we just had someone on the board ask about getting involved, I'm bumping this one back to the top. Everyone in the pool. 

Shadeux
Shadeux GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/8/19 4:05 p.m.

My goal is one year from now to be starting AutoX in my 95' Miata. By then I will have done two HPDE's and have the Miata fixed up, including El Piece Day Resistance, the roll bar! It might be sooner, but my plate is pretty full and I'm being realistic. 

The only thing I'm worried about: Knowing where to turn. From videos all I see is a sea of cones. I know some cone shapes have meaning, but it still seems confusing. What can I do in the meantime to learn more cone knowledge?

David S. Wallens
12/10/19 3:43 p.m.

The more you walk the course--and the more autocrosses you do--the more you'll see the line through the cones. 

As far as what the cones mean, either they're defining the course or they're serving as pointer cones. That's pretty much it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
14JPWNaLGGrPlkIDWwQhvI2G8mqyfuG8jnwfM6WVCC9MVeAb03vRUxJNsvaXP1uc