bigbrainonbrad Reader
12/4/11 4:00 p.m.

During the process of changing the timing belt on my 91 miata, the plastic intake tube started to crack around the acordian section. I have megasquirt up and running in the car currently with the factory air flow meter. Looking to get rid of the afm and rig up a cone filter. What options are out there for replacing the tube? I've thought of using universal air intake parts, but for those in the know is there an aftermarket solution out there for the air intake tube that is a known commodity?

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill New Reader
12/4/11 5:12 p.m.

Gsxr Individual throttle bodies a la Tanner?

Junkyard_Dog Dork
12/4/11 5:33 p.m.

Duct tape has kept more of those tubes on the road than I should probably admit.

Xceler8x SuperDork
12/4/11 7:08 p.m.

You can get rid of the MAF if you go with an Air Intake Temp sensor. Most folks who go that route also get a wide band as they then have to tune megasquirt. They utilize the wide band for tuning as it gives more info and a very good tune.

Keith SuperDork
12/4/11 11:34 p.m.

Tubes are easy. Either use a flexible hose (like brake duct hose, not dryer ducting) or build something out of steel or aluminum. Don't try to make it difficult and it won't be. Be aware that the length can have an effect on power output.

Those weren't GSX throttle bodies on the Seven chassis in that picture. They were TWM units built specifically for the Miata. Still have 'em sitting on the shelf at home. In the meantime, both the Seven and the Targa Miata picked up throttle bodies along with more horsepowers and a lot more intake noise.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill New Reader
12/5/11 3:41 a.m.
Keith wrote: Those weren't GSX throttle bodies on the Seven chassis in that picture.

Blast. I guess I just got my hopes up because I've been wanting to adapt those throttle bodies to something they weren't originally installed on...

Our Preferred Partners