bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
12/10/09 1:30 p.m.

Hi All,

Where would I find a set of these for a street car with a screaming 327? No distributor to worry about, BTW.

All I've found are for racers, and have side exits through/under the right door. Do any have the collectors facing the rear ready for full exhausts?

Yes I know it's ironic that I'm asking about street applications in a motorsports forum!

Thanks!

Cheers, Brady

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
12/10/09 3:14 p.m.

Will you have room for them? I recall Herb Adams used to sell 180 degree headers for second generation Firebirds back in the day; they required a special oil pan (or a dry sump system) to fit, and even then they were hardly streetable since they hung down so close to the ground. Secondly, for a street car I don't think there's any advantage to having them, other than bragging rights.

oldsaw
oldsaw HalfDork
12/10/09 3:55 p.m.

Brady, check this video from a builder using 180 degree headers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Ye8fFH90w

You might find some information from his post.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
12/10/09 4:44 p.m.

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know if there will be room! Crossing over the tranny may be an option since the car will be distributorless. Who knows? I guess it will be quite a custom job in the end.

It's for a customer, BTW, not for my car. And bragging rights might be involved.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid HalfDork
12/10/09 4:50 p.m.

why not just use a normal set of headers for it?

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
12/10/09 4:51 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Will you have room for them? I recall Herb Adams used to sell 180 degree headers for second generation Firebirds back in the day; they required a special oil pan (or a dry sump system) to fit, and even then they were hardly streetable since they hung down so close to the ground. Secondly, for a street car I don't think there's any advantage to having them, other than bragging rights.

I thought this style of header produced prodigious increases in TQ on V8 engines?

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
12/10/09 5:17 p.m.

Engine is too small to use 180's in a chassis.

What is your cylinder head flow rate?

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
12/10/09 6:42 p.m.

In reply to ckosacranoid:

Because regular headers dont sound like this . FF to about 1 minute in when it is on the freeway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZTbR6C6Lw&feature=related

Personally I have never really enjoyed the sound of an american V8 like I am supposed to. 180 degree headers sound like a flat plane crank motor. I wonder if they can be stuffed into a fox body mustang? I need that noise in my life.

Appleseed
Appleseed Dork
12/10/09 10:49 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: In reply to ckosacranoid: Because regular headers dont sound like this . FF to about 1 minute in when it is on the freeway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZTbR6C6Lw&feature=related

Good point!

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/10/09 11:21 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: In reply to ckosacranoid: Because regular headers dont sound like this . FF to about 1 minute in when it is on the freeway http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSZTbR6C6Lw&feature=related Personally I have never really enjoyed the sound of an american V8 like I am supposed to. 180 degree headers sound like a flat plane crank motor. I wonder if they can be stuffed into a fox body mustang? I need that noise in my life.

yes please

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/11/09 9:04 a.m.

Anyone else see the Kelmark GT kit with 180 headers that comes up as a related video? That's a pretty nice Fiero kit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjqUt_wbAe4&feature=related

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
12/11/09 10:03 a.m.
wheels777 wrote: Engine is too small to use 180's in a chassis. What is your cylinder head flow rate?

Listen to this man, he knows headers.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
12/11/09 12:06 p.m.
wheels777 wrote: Engine is too small to use 180's in a chassis. What is your cylinder head flow rate?

I don't know what the heads flow yet.

What do you mean by the engine being too small to use 180's in a chassis?

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
12/11/09 1:11 p.m.
bradyzq wrote:
I don't know what the heads flow yet. What do you mean by the engine being too small to use 180's in a chassis?

Just conversation...let say you have a typical Dart head with pocket porting, good seats, entry blending, etc.. - mine flow 252 cfm. On a 327 you would optimize for 7300 rpms and rev it to 7800. Should make 510-515 HP. If you use a primary that is 1.75" diameter, the length should be 30.2". That is too short to reach a good aproach angle into the collector. A typical in chassis 180 header will be 35 to 37" for the primaries. 355s are borderline too small for a 180, but can be used if you optimize other parameters - cam timing, etc.. If you only make 400 HP, heads flow 200-ish. optimize for 5900, shift 6400,blah, blah blah, use 1.625" by 39-43" long. You could stretch it to a 1.75 by 36" long, but thats a lot of work for the performance level, and the primary diameter does not match the intake flow charactoristics.

Again general conversation. It is better to be specific with real numbers.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/11/09 1:23 p.m.

and with that, my head asplodes!

Wheels777 for el Presidente!

Sounds like the OP needs to do their homework or change their parameters.

bradyzq
bradyzq Dork
12/11/09 1:37 p.m.

In reply to wheels777:

Thank you. Now I understand.

I am guessing that this motor should be in the 450-500crank hp range. And for some reason, I was thinking 1.625" primaries. The length of the primaries will probably be dictated by packaging constraints. Hopefully, something useful will be available.

I am a chassis dyno guy. I am used to being handed a car which is already (hopefully well) set up and that is what I have to work with. It is rare that I can get involved at an earlier stage.

This is not a pure performance build. Enjoying the sound, and the uniqueness factor are the main reasons why this is even being contemplated.

Wheels777, you're in York, PA. Wouldn't happen to work at Stahl would you?

Thanks again!

wheels777
wheels777 HalfDork
12/11/09 2:21 p.m.
bradyzq wrote: In reply to wheels777:... you're in York, PA. Wouldn't happen to work at Stahl would you?

Same town, same street, no association.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P42v3fllSA00ZdN31CnqKlTzI3InqeCut6LZHTfvrqanE9MqmVIM0UCeQ3d6xEqy