ansonivan
ansonivan Dork
10/7/14 11:11 a.m.

I'm working on a friends 1954 ford F250 again, doing clutch and engine mounts this time. I'm a lost babe in the woods when it comes to old ford parts sourcing, looking for guidance on which brand parts to trust and where to find them. The goal is to stay with OEM quality parts, building the thing to last for the long haul.

Cliffs: 1954 Ford F250 3.9L Y V8 - front and rear engine mounts - clutch kit - should be 10" disk - have not pulled to confirm

The Truck:

edizzle89
edizzle89 Reader
10/7/14 11:18 a.m.

RockAuto seems to have stuff for it, according to them its a 10" clutch, and you will have to see if the motor mounts they have match whats on the truck

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
10/7/14 11:19 a.m.

Dennis carpenter and macs. Neverhad aanything bad from them.

SEADave
SEADave Reader
10/7/14 12:37 p.m.

I have been vaguely aware that the place I buy MG parts from also has a truck division called LMC truck. I just checked and sure enough they have a 108 page catalog of parts just for 1948-1956 Ford 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks. Very cool truck, hope that helps.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
10/7/14 12:59 p.m.

For reproduction stuff try Dennis Carpenter, Bob Drake, LMC, Macs, Auto Krafters, and there are a bunch of others out there I can't think of offhand. I believe Dennis Carpenter and Bob Drake actually make a lot of the repro parts and then they are re-sold by the others.

However, for standard replacement parts like clutches and engine mounts, RockAuto is probably a good a choice as any.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro HalfDork
10/7/14 1:36 p.m.

Rockauto is a good choice for those things. I would verify what is in the truck first, no telling what has been changed over the years as far as the clutch.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
10/7/14 2:30 p.m.

Napa can probably get a clutch, beyond that go with above recommendations. Approach with caution, that's gonna be a bellhousing full of asbestos dust.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/8/14 5:48 a.m.

Dennis Carpenter is my go-to. LMC is the Wal-Mart of truck parts, and quality is woefully inconsistent.

I still don't get everyone's love of RockAuto. Every time I've shopped it the prices weren't anything special over my local NAPA and the shipping made it an even poorer deal. I guess convenience is everything to some people.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
10/8/14 7:20 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv:

Close outs are where the deals are, that and you have to watch the number of shipments. But yeah, I've stopped shopping there for the most part too.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
10/8/14 7:31 a.m.
RossD wrote: In reply to ddavidv: Close outs are where the deals are,

This is my experience. I got ball joints for my F150 and some spark plug wires for other projects from them lately. I passed on other parts because after shipping they would have been higher than the local store.

Basically, if I don't need it in a hurry, I check rockauto to see what deals they have.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XgJN7ZFlSCfhS7slqbTNnAhhZycbtfa07atQ11wmN1wcYa6kC1qIOgquPgiWZO7a