1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20
TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/23/19 11:56 a.m.

In reply to GIRTHQUAKE :

Totalled the car that I was going to put it into.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/30/19 10:10 a.m.

I have been slowly converting the car to LS coils.

Also, picked up a Gold Box for future engine management. The guys at EFI source saw the video on Sloppy Mechanics channel, and gave me a good deal on the Gold box.

In case anyone missed it, here is the video that Matt from Sloppy Mechanics did on the car.

https://youtu.be/SM4P5U0fHug

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
1/30/19 10:12 a.m.

Also, I did a video on the history of the car. It turned into quite a long video.

https://youtu.be/cFtr_z-256c

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/1/19 11:32 a.m.

I enjoyed the video, I forgot about it getting donkey punched!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/1/19 1:25 p.m.

In reply to JmfnB :

Glad you enjoyed it. I was pretty happy with how it came out. I'd like to continue making them. I have a lot to learn. Practice makes perfect.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
2/1/19 6:56 p.m.

Finally finished the second video. Great story of the car. On the SM video I was enthralled at the explanation of boost creep and timing and how that was figured out and how much more power it made once that was sorted. Really neat. 

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/1/19 8:28 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Finally finished the second video. Great story of the car. On the SM video I was enthralled at the explanation of boost creep and timing and how that was figured out and how much more power it made once that was sorted. Really neat. 

Glad you enjoyed it. The experience we had at the Dyno was awesome. Matt is an amazing guy! It's awesome that so many people are following the build! Thanks!

Willys_51
Willys_51 None
2/20/19 11:33 a.m.

Joined the site today just to say I dig this engine and Megasquirt approach. That said, I have a question. How do you handle the ignition side of Megasquirt when an engine like the 4200 has coil on plug. I think back to the days when I would check the timing against #1 cylinder using the damper mark. The 4200 and most any newer motors don't have external timing marks. Did you time the engine from top dead center on #1 using a timing wheel and marking the damper....or is OK to just assume the crank sensor is accurate?.  Will Megasuirt also self learn it's ignition map?

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/20/19 6:56 p.m.

In reply to Willys_51 :

I'm glad you are enjoying it. 

To find the timing, I made a timing indicator from some weld rod, marked the balancer, and used a good old fashioned timing light. The ECU has a trigger offset programmable value. I ended up having to put 12 degrees into it.

Willys_51
Willys_51 New Reader
2/21/19 11:17 a.m.

Ahhh...the ECM gets the offset amount and should match your timing mark depending on what the computer is asking for.

It would be interesting to see how accurate a stock ECM is to real top dead center. They have a method called a 'case learn' using a Tech 2 that sets cam and crank and somehow determines TDC. I should see what live values the Tech 2 displays, maybe I could partially build an ignition MAP from there. I can honestly say my TB's 4200 has never knocked or shown 'knock counts'....even at 110,000 miles on original plugs. On my project motor, I will do the degree wheel thing and find my top dead center and hack a pointer together. Be nice to see this thing run sometime. BTW....I'm impressed all to hell at how well your car runs. That's got to be a rewarding feeling.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
2/21/19 12:44 p.m.

Love this build

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/21/19 8:20 p.m.

In reply to Willys_51 :

Yeah. It is very satisfying. I've been wanting to swap one of these engines into something for a while now. They finally became affordable a few years ago. Now people are basically giving them away.

Thanks!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
2/21/19 8:21 p.m.
spin_out said:

Love this build

Thanks man!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
7/4/19 9:34 a.m.

Happy 4th of July!!!!! Doin' elevens instead fireworks??? wink

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/30/19 8:04 a.m.

Time for an update. I told people previously that they would not see this car at the challenge again. Well guess what? I changed my mind. I love the challenge, but you can only see so many stock Miatas before it just gets boring. They're neat little cars, but I like seeing stuff with a little more engineering put into it by the competitor. I love what Pat (G) is doing with the Wartburg, and I caught wind of what Pat (Angry) was doing with the Corvair. Those are some of the coolest challenge cars I have seen in a while! Hope you get 'em done Pat and Pat.

So I decided, the heck with it. I'm taking all the expensive stuff off my car and going down to do racecar stuff with my racecar friends.

I already converted the car back to Microsquirt, and put a different (better) turbo on it. I added some 3d printed parts for good measure. It's going to be a fun year.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
9/30/19 8:15 a.m.

The Lark Lego, ringer.

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/19 10:05 a.m.

Coming down for 2019? Can't wait to see it!

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/30/19 10:31 a.m.

This is the year of the six-cylinders!

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/30/19 11:41 a.m.
AWSX1686 said:

Coming down for 2019? Can't wait to see it!

Yessir. Going to be a fun year.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/30/19 11:42 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

Are there others? I haven't been keeping up.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
9/30/19 11:59 a.m.
TheV8Kid said:
maschinenbau said:

Are there others? I haven't been keeping up.

Datsaniti is a g35 v6 powered datsun wagon, bockscar is a gm 3400v6 powered miata, you, and i think another straight six swap car that i cant remember. So, yup! Top 10 will be full of sixes.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/30/19 12:16 p.m.

Excellent news!!

1SlowVW
1SlowVW Reader
9/30/19 2:49 p.m.

You should do a short video of this adventure for your YouTube channel.

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
9/30/19 8:23 p.m.

In reply to 1SlowVW :

Working on it, bud. I've been busy...

TheV8Kid
TheV8Kid HalfDork
10/4/19 4:08 p.m.

This is on only 11psi. Look out...

1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 20

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners