1 2
irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/2/13 4:07 p.m.

My Great-Uncle is now clearing out his decades worth of old cars, old machines, etc since they are selling the farm that they've owned since 1965. A lot of stuff, but what he considers to be his favorite piece is a 1968 Cadillac.

I gave the car a cursory inspection today and here's some data: 1. It runs and can be driven. I'm not sure what work is needed, but I do know that the car can move around under its own power. Which is good, since there's no way less than 20 humans could probably push it anywhere, lol. 2. It has about 80,000 ORIGINAL miles. Apparently it was for years used just to go back and forth from "the horse track." 3. It was repainted some years ago, but now the clear is cracking. I've seen it when it was clean (last summer) and overall the paint isn't terrible. 4. I looked under the rockers and kind of kicked around. It doesn't seem to have any major rust areas. It's always been parked on pavement or gravel, never in the grass like all of his other "project cars." It has some rust spots, but nothing I would call "fatal" or "terrible" 5. Interior is complete, and it still has what I believe are the original bench seats, in some very fancy fabric pattern. Interior is in pretty good shape, aside from some issues that I would consider "minor" for a car of this age. It needs a really good vacuum though. 6. This model apparently had all the "bells and whistles" when new, and all that stuff is still there. Not sure what works and what doesn't, but again it was driven and street-legal/inspected in the not too distant past. 7. Engine was supposedly rebuilt (full long-block rebuild, new pistons, etc) "recently," though with my uncle I never know if that means last year or 10 years ago. 8. The registration expired in 2009, so I'd say it was 4 years since that last time it was driven on public roads. It has moved around on the property a few times, IIRC.

Anyhow, trying to help out my Aunt in moving this thing out, since they're selling the farm and all the other old cars, junk, etc there and moving into a condo place.....

So any comments on what this behemoth may be worth, assuming my description is fairly accurate? Anyone interested?

I'll note he also has old-school giant machines (metal nibblers, etc) and random old trucks/vans on the premesis as well, if anyone is looking for stuff like that.

pics:

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
3/2/13 4:35 p.m.

Very interested i see you are in burke is car near you when can i look at car email me mark@ctsinc.org

JThw8
JThw8 PowerDork
3/2/13 6:06 p.m.

Paid $500 for one in similar condition about 4 years ago. I got a deal though, I'd venture to guess that if you cleaned it up a bit it should bring north of 2k. The market on 60s caddies is kind of odd. Perfect ones bring decent money but anything less than perfect and the prices plummet.

Doh, correction, mine was a 69, the 68 should be a bit more desirable to most.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
3/2/13 6:22 p.m.

I agree the 68 is better than the 69 stack headlights are better i think the number is 1k to 1800 they are a tough sale now if it was a coupe that would be a different story

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/2/13 6:27 p.m.

I can't photoshop, but imagine that rear window moved up a few feet and a bed between the tail lights.

Straight up cash deal, would you sell it?

Dan

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/2/13 6:28 p.m.

One thing I'll add, just looking at the pic of the 69 above with the oil stain underneath it. He has a piece of plywood under the engine area, and there are no drips of any kind on it, for what it's worth.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
3/2/13 6:35 p.m.
914Driver wrote: I can't photoshop, but imagine that rear window moved up a few feet and a bed between the tail lights. Straight up cash deal, would you sell it? Dan

They made them they were called "flower wagons" they used them to haul all the flowers to the grave site

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/2/13 6:38 p.m.
914Driver wrote: I can't photoshop, but imagine that rear window moved up a few feet and a bed between the tail lights. Straight up cash deal, would you sell it? Dan

Dan, it belongs to my great uncle, I'm just helping him out/consulting on the sale. I can put you in touch (as well as Mark) if desired.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
3/2/13 6:45 p.m.

Sort of intrested in the metal worker...Well i want it but....not sure i can aford to haul it..let me know if its for sale and aporx local

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
3/2/13 7:14 p.m.

Looks like Cutter was there first, PM me if he fumbles.

Dan

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/2/13 7:31 p.m.

will do. It will be a couple of weeks before they're ready for people to come look at things (have a few health issues and inventories to deal with first), but I'll let anyone interested know when you can contact them or come by. It's in Clifton, VA.

A few more pics of various things that may or may not be of any value, that I snapped shots of while there today. I'm going back later in the week to pick up a few things for myself, and will take more pics of anything that looks interesting.

tractor is spoken for

this barn is FULL of stuff....tools, welders, engines, and a million other random things

I'm actually tempted on this one

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/2/13 7:39 p.m.

diggin' that honda dream, but restoration cost even as a DIY far outspends the restored value...

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
3/2/13 7:42 p.m.

It looks like one of those places that American pockets go to. I'm sure there's some great stuff there or stuff that can be made into great stuff.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
3/2/13 7:46 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: diggin' that honda dream, but restoration cost even as a DIY far outspends the restored value...

Yeah, this place has been like this since I was a kid....like 30 years ago. Different cars, different large stuff, but always a lot of stuff that may or may not be seen as junk or treasure.

It's really a shame half the stuff he got over the years ended up sitting out in the field, rather than inside the barn. There are so many things he has there that would be worth good money if they were simply protected from the weather for all these years....

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/2/13 8:18 p.m.

is the gold roady woody you can see in the caddy pic for sale?

i want 3 of the trucks i see but it's not worth the trip

fanfoy
fanfoy Reader
3/2/13 9:12 p.m.
JThw8 wrote: Paid $500 for one in similar condition about 4 years ago. I got a deal though, I'd venture to guess that if you cleaned it up a bit it should bring north of 2k. The market on 60s caddies is kind of odd. Perfect ones bring decent money but anything less than perfect and the prices plummet. Doh, correction, mine was a 69, the 68 should be a bit more desirable to most.

^^^^This is true. Also, because it's a four-door, the value seems to top out at around 10k while a similar two-door would top out at double that amount.

For the nibbler, post that thing on metalmeet.com or partical machinist (there probably other sites I don't know.) These guys will wet themselves for something like that. You should get top dollar.

The rest, try to get good pictures of every item isolated. People seem to get turned off when it looks like just another piece of a huge pile of crap.

Lots of cool stuff in there.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/2/13 9:28 p.m.

Any chance he has a finger brake for sheet metal?

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/2/13 10:33 p.m.
patgizz wrote: is the gold roady woody you can see in the caddy pic for sale? i want 3 of the trucks i see but it's not worth the trip

probably not, but I'm not 100% sure. I think that's one of their "daily drivers." There is another woody wagon (I want to say it's an LTD wagon, but am not positive) that was a driver last year, got in a fender-bender, and has sat down in the field for the last year or so. I'll check it out next time I'm over there and get some pics.

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/2/13 10:36 p.m.
fanfoy wrote:
JThw8 wrote: Paid $500 for one in similar condition about 4 years ago. I got a deal though, I'd venture to guess that if you cleaned it up a bit it should bring north of 2k. The market on 60s caddies is kind of odd. Perfect ones bring decent money but anything less than perfect and the prices plummet. Doh, correction, mine was a 69, the 68 should be a bit more desirable to most.
^^^^This is true. Also, because it's a four-door, the value seems to top out at around 10k while a similar two-door would top out at double that amount. For the nibbler, post that thing on metalmeet.com or partical machinist (there probably other sites I don't know.) These guys will wet themselves for something like that. You should get top dollar. The rest, try to get good pictures of every item isolated. People seem to get turned off when it looks like just another piece of a huge pile of crap. Lots of cool stuff in there.

thanks, I'll post it up on that site.

As to the "every item isolated....." I'm not sure if my 8GB memory card will handle that. Or if I can find a spare week to do it, lol. There is literally THAT much stuff here, and in that barn it's crammed wherever it will fit. I found a big-ass air compressor sitting behind a big old drill press in there....never would have even noticed it if there hadn't been an old Webber carb sitting on the drill press :)

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
3/2/13 10:38 p.m.
Woody wrote: Any chance he has a finger brake for sheet metal?

I can inquire. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on "yes" as metalworking has always been his main "thing."

Hell, one of those vans out there has half a dozen (supposedly functional) welders of various types sitting inside of it since he couldn't find room in the barn.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi Dork
3/3/13 6:17 a.m.

That looks like an auction waiting to happen right there! Selling it off piecemeal will be near impossible. I wish them well in retirement!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/3/13 6:42 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
Woody wrote: Any chance he has a finger brake for sheet metal?
I can inquire. If I were a betting man, I'd bet on "yes" as metalworking has always been his main "thing." Hell, one of those vans out there has half a dozen (supposedly functional) welders of various types sitting inside of it since he couldn't find room in the barn.

Please inquire...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
3/3/13 9:34 a.m.

I am interested in knowing more about a lot of the items, is an auction likely?

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
3/3/13 9:55 a.m.
cutter67 wrote:
They made them they were called "flower wagons" they used them to haul all the flowers to the grave site

Like this?

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog Dork
3/3/13 10:03 a.m.

That bread van should bring in some good money. Aluminium body gives it good scrap value, but its actually worth more as a food truck. When I sold my P30 I had calls from as far away as California (I'm in Louisville)!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VJwE7AAqPvGX6fWj5doHqwPAFxxRzMsMBJNaEebJiDr7XauRc9MCBarGKP1wjaIu