Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/08 9:56 p.m.

I may be going to look at a 1973 Mustang Convertible in the next few days. It's the typical 302/c-4 drivetrain with some decent options installed like disc brakes and AC. I'm fairly familiar with these cars as I owned two in high school and college. I am a bit rusty as that was ten years ago.

I'm going there to check for rust in the usual places - frame rails, fender edges, sheet metal around the glass, and floor pans with the ol'ice pick trick. I'm at a loss how to check the suspension components short of a test drive as I know Mustang front suspensions can be weak. Drivetrains are robust from my experience. The prev owner says the car has 103k miles on it but I'm at a loss to verify that. I know of the pedal pad wear trick, interior wear, cold start to check engine and trans condition. Any other way to verify mileage?

Thanks for the help fellas and ladies.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro New Reader
12/15/08 10:26 p.m.

My buddy is a Ford guy but I know nothing about Mustang chassis.

I remember he mentioned to watch for rust in the torque boxes under the toeboards, apparently they're a bugger to replace.

Check for soldered in washer-looking things in the cylinder head freeze plugs. If the engine or heads are rebuilds they'll be there. If it's got 103,000 miles and a rebuilt engine it may have had a hard life.

Good luck with your purchase, at least it's not a ghia.

I do like the big mustangs styling.

Shawn

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
12/16/08 12:01 a.m.
Trans_Maro wrote: I remember he mentioned to watch for rust in the torque boxes under the toeboards, apparently they're a bugger to replace.

correct, and since its a convertable also double check the rear torque boxes, rear floorboards and front edge of the trunk. don't worry to much about the front suspension, its realy easy to rebuild and you will probably want to add poly bushings any way if its not going to be a concourse type restoration. speaking of front suspension, check the front shock towers for cracks, not likely on a 302 car, but still check it. I like big body early seventies stangs alot. good luck

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/08 6:46 a.m.

I had a 72 notch in high-school. I was rather surprised when I backed into a telephone pole & the whole rear quarter-panel fell off as a chunk of newspaper & bondo.

Of course, I knew nothing about cars back then...

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
12/16/08 6:52 a.m.

check on the valve job history. My personal expereince , 302's need a lot of valve attention

spitfirebill
spitfirebill HalfDork
12/16/08 7:27 a.m.

My wife and I bought a 66 Mustang in 1976 that was one owner with about 65,000 miles on the odometer. The damned thing smoked, apparently due to bad valve seals. It had a 289 4V.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/16/08 7:58 a.m.

Thanks for the tips guys. I'm planning on bringing a magnet to check for bondo as well. It's just been awhile since I've checked out Amurican iron.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/16/08 9:24 a.m.

Pour a little water into the cowl and check to see if it leaks under the dash.

neon4891
neon4891 Dork
12/16/08 10:30 a.m.

I still want a fastback 71-73, I fell in love after "dimonds are forever"

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
12/16/08 9:47 p.m.
Woody wrote: Pour a little water into the cowl and check to see if it leaks under the dash.

'71 to '73 don't have that problem, at least not nearly as much as '64 through '68. in '69 ford changed the design of the internal plenum of the cowl. it was changed again in '71, so unless it was parked under a tree that filled the cowl up with leaves and debris it should be just fine. OTH if you do the water in cowl test and it comes out on the brake pedel, run away fast.

Hal
Hal HalfDork
12/17/08 8:52 a.m.

On the front check the "shock tower" where it is spot welded to the unibody. My B-I-L had two eartly 70 Mustangs where those welds had broken.

MustangSix
MustangSix Reader
12/17/08 9:19 a.m.

The 71-73 doesn't have quite the aftermarket support that the 65-70 models do. Not all the chrome, trim, and interior bits are available, so if anything is missing or broken, beware that it might have to be hunted down used.

I can't think of any other specific weak points. The level of finish and assembly were pretty sloppy from the factory, so panel gaps may be pretty inconsistent. Just look for rust. That's the big enemy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eKBqa2Fg7mwi1fWyRVHrCW3lQp0P2e61BMx77TggG1LRGrFZkbz0DmeiPe7vEvGi