T.J.
T.J. UberDork
4/18/12 8:55 p.m.

cl link

Someone here knows about these cars. Is this a good deal based on the scant info in the ad? How rare? Parts availability?

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Reader
4/18/12 9:01 p.m.

Mysery on 4 wheels!

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
4/18/12 11:42 p.m.

Take your cue from the 4-spd reference; the cars came with 5-spd transaxles.

Beta's used some good, basic Fiat mechnicals but the rest of the car didn't and that's why their reputation suffers in comparison.

Unless that's your vision of an ultimate fantasy machine AND you just won a lottery, stay away..............

gamby
gamby PowerDork
4/19/12 12:11 a.m.

Pretty little thing, though--isn't it?

Anytime these cars (or similar model Lancias) come up here, "STAY AWAY" is usually the resounding response.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
4/19/12 12:11 a.m.

I seem to remember a TG bit about Lancia....

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/19/12 5:15 a.m.

That's probably about what it cost new.

porschenut
porschenut Reader
4/19/12 5:45 a.m.

Bought one in 77 for 4K, so that is probably more than they wanted new. Wonderful handling, miserably underpowered and mine rusted out in southern california! One more thing, the electrics were a nightmare. It sould not start at random times and could never find the problem, headlights died one night, a week later they started working again. Put me off italian cars for over two decades.

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
4/19/12 5:49 a.m.

For about a grand more, you can buy an absolutely perfect, show winning blue example owned by a friend of mine. That car seems tremendously overpriced for the dull looking paint and near useless ad text.

The truth about Betas: simple Fiat 124 twin cam engine coupled to a 5 speed trans (or horrid ZF autobox) in a fwd configuration that makes working on it an exotic car-like nightmare. Power steering is a bit vague if you're used to crisp Italian car feedback, but certainly not bad. They handle well and have decent power if you get rid of some of the EPA restrictions and tune them a bit. Parts availability is mediocre; the engine stuff is easy but body/trim/suspension stuff is sometimes a challenge. The Lancisti will look down their noses at you because it's not a 'real' Lancia according to them with the Fiat engine in there, but the car was still a Lancia design, so the snobs are just being idiots. As my friend Charley is finding out, having a perfect one is no guarantee you can find a buyer for it even if it's priced thousands less than a comparable "anything else". Very limited market, but you'll be the only guy with one in your town, probably.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
4/19/12 5:56 a.m.

I know of two here in Ohio for <1500. Both are runners, one is soft top the other hard top. They have been for sale forever! I think that seller has been smoking wacky tabaccy to think that price is justified.

T.J.
T.J. UberDork
4/19/12 9:23 p.m.

The ad definitely screams run away, and I thought it had to be over priced based on apparent condition. If I could get a show winning version for a grand more, that would be a lot more interesting.

I didn't realize this was FWD. I knew Fulvias were, so I guess I should've assumed.

ddavidv
ddavidv UberDork
4/20/12 5:12 a.m.

I think he's looking for about $6500. I can put you in touch if you're truly interested.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/20/12 7:04 a.m.

such a pretty car

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
4/20/12 8:36 a.m.
chandlerGTi wrote: I know of two here in Ohio for <1500. Both are runners, one is soft top the other hard top. They have been for sale forever! I think that seller has been smoking wacky tabaccy to think that price is justified.

How rusty is this $1500 Beta coupe? I needs me a birthday present for my old man.

BAMF
BAMF Reader
4/20/12 2:09 p.m.

I agree with everything Dwight V. said. The early Beta Coupes like this had manual steering racks, which are more durable than the power ones on later cars.

I enjoyed driving the Beta Zagato I used to own, but it was really difficult to work on. Most of that came down to access of various items in the engine bay. If you have a lift, apparently you're only a half dozen bolts away from having the entire drivetrain and front suspension out of the car. Mine was also fuel injected, and I had a lot of electrical issues. Were I to buy another Beta, an early car like this would hold more appeal for me than the later ones.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
4/20/12 2:12 p.m.
MG Bryan wrote:
chandlerGTi wrote: I know of two here in Ohio for <1500. Both are runners, one is soft top the other hard top. They have been for sale forever! I think that seller has been smoking wacky tabaccy to think that price is justified.
How rusty is this $1500 Beta coupe? I needs me a birthday present for my old man.

Not to bad actually; however, it looks like it may have sat in some water at some point. Owner wouldn't cop to it though.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XLl0n4oWqcKjZfG3UNUkdaWj1AmVHWW3a1qilgz7TnZaAwJG0FM1Fg2EcqazNu5S