1 2
vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/20/11 8:43 p.m.

I am seeing some really low priced Jags on CL. I mean $1500-2500. I am thinking about grabbing one and get it running then later throw in a GM v8. Maybe an LS1 or some truck derivative.

What am I missing that I should know about these cars? Is there some reason I should stay away other than electronics and engine, both of which I can swap out of a LS1 and Painless wiring?

Thoughts? Cussing? Name calling?

Edit: Why do I want an old Jag? I love the way they look.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic SuperDork
1/20/11 8:44 p.m.

http://www.johnscars.com/jaguars.html

Raze
Raze Dork
1/20/11 8:45 p.m.

I love them too, you should definitley buy one

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/20/11 8:49 p.m.

Thanks for the link In 93EXCivic:

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
1/20/11 8:50 p.m.

Could have bought a Supercharged XJR locally with 180,000kms on it , needed brakes and tires for $1800 - was gonna GRM $2011 it - too many projects

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/20/11 9:31 p.m.

WOW Why are they so cheap?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/20/11 9:36 p.m.
vazbmw wrote: WOW Why are they so cheap?

Because the are pieces of E36 M3 that are stupid expensive to fix.

If only they weren't so damn pretty.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
1/20/11 10:52 p.m.

I've been thinking the same thing for the last year.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/21/11 12:21 a.m.
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Because the are pieces of E36 M3 that are stupid expensive to fix. If only they weren't so damn pretty.

But if I basically replace the powertrain with a Corvette's and do aftermarket wiring what else would be expensive?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/21/11 5:46 a.m.
vazbmw wrote:
DILYSI Dave wrote:
Because the are pieces of E36 M3 that are stupid expensive to fix. If only they weren't so damn pretty.
But if I basically replace the powertrain with a Corvette's and do aftermarket wiring what else would be expensive?

Any and all of the interior switches that can and will fail.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
1/21/11 6:35 a.m.

Long have I lusted for a late 80's XJ-S with that sexy V12. Fortunately, the rational part of my brain has prevented me from getting one.

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
1/21/11 8:42 a.m.
vazbmw wrote: But if I basically replace the powertrain with a Corvette's and do aftermarket wiring what else would be expensive?

Well the xjs had needle bearing "bushings" in the rear suspension, complex heavy irs not to mention about every interior gadget might not work including fiber optic lighting in the HVAC. everything is over-complex. Lucas abs, funky wiring/headlight connectors, de-laminating wood trim, some have spots that collect water to help corrosion.

I still plan to get an xjs, MS or carb the v12 (think I can synch 6 or 12 carbs?), manual transmission straight pipes and remove every complex system when it breaks (a/c to cool fuel return, wire the headlights to a toggle switch etc. etc. etc.)

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/21/11 9:00 a.m.

So basically the car will nickle and dime you to death even if the drive train and wiring are changed

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/21/11 9:02 a.m.
vazbmw wrote: So basically the car will nickle and dime you to death even if the drive train and wiring are changed

It would be cheaper to make it into a full blown race car than to keep it a semblance of a street car.

Raze
Raze Dork
1/21/11 9:20 a.m.
vazbmw wrote: So basically the car will nickle and dime you to death even if the drive train and wiring are changed

You're talking about a 20-30 year old British automobile and you're worried about being nickled and dimed to death? Just hurry up and buy one already and put some pictures up so I can start living another part of my car-lust life vicariously through this board and you.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/21/11 9:26 a.m.

Yeah, they seem BMW 8-series complex, but built by disorganized/disgruntled British communists. Pretty cars but I can't understand getting one vs. a used LS400 or E34-type BMW.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
1/21/11 9:39 a.m.

I wonder if you can swap out the rear suspension subframe to one from another car...

wcelliot
wcelliot HalfDork
1/21/11 9:54 a.m.

Actually I hated my XJS. I think a manual transmission would have improved things greatly (the weight of the car, a low displacement V12, high gearing, and the torque sapping TH400 doesn't make for a nice combo except at higher speeds) but I sold it when it needed rear rotors, not over anything drivetrain related. Just not worth the hassle.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 HalfDork
1/21/11 10:29 a.m.

Let's face it. Buying an old Jaguar is like letting the little head do the thinking. Sure, it's fun. But there are consequences.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/21/11 8:22 p.m.

if it is going to turn into some my other old projects, with a screw enterior no working HVAC etc...I would rather do an old 911 track car

Raze wrote:
You're talking about a 20-30 year old British automobile and you're worried about being nickled and dimed to death? Just hurry up and buy one already and put some pictures up so I can start living another part of my car-lust life vicariously through this board and you.
vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/21/11 8:23 p.m.

ouch!

1988RedT2 wrote: Let's face it. Buying an old Jaguar is like letting the little head do the thinking. Sure, it's fun. But there are consequences.
JFX001
JFX001 SuperDork
1/21/11 8:29 p.m.

Saw this link on BaT...add LSx and a six speed...:

http://www.lynxeventer.com/en/

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/21/11 8:37 p.m.

No more Brits for me

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

and the 5 Stags as well

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/21/11 10:14 p.m.

JFX001 wrote: Saw this link on BaT...add LSx and a six speed...: http://www.lynxeventer.com/en/
AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/11 10:14 p.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

i knew you couldn't resist that capri!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aEmnoGYxO5ThdzaRwbNZ8jasRAtBE0EvyXp7IoyG5ZGMTyyuv1zZ6HIQXUCg3WYQ