T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
3/4/12 7:53 p.m.

craigslist link

So, anyone want to share your opinion on this car? I'm not gonna do anything other than think about this one. No room in the garage as it is, heck I've got my Miata parked under my deck on the back patio for the winter. It seems like aircooled 911's are always about $20k, or if they are less, they need work/parts that make them close to $20k.

nocones
nocones HalfDork
3/4/12 8:13 p.m.

I think you better be SERIOUS if you inquire.

I like the color.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
3/4/12 8:33 p.m.

30 years old and only 78K miles? Only if there is documentation. I personally don't care for turbo tails or the rear fender decal unless there's an intercooler involved (sorry, David ). And while I don't follow prices day-today, that sounds like a lot for an SC.

David

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
3/4/12 8:33 p.m.

Well, I'm naturally skruffy so I kinda lean towards cars that have a little patina. Seems like a fair market price if the carrera tensioners and pop-off valve have been done. Take a look on Pelican for comparisons. FWIW - a few months ago I sold an 85 targa for under 10k - rock solid mechanicals/suspension. Could have used paint, but was presentable.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/4/12 8:59 p.m.

Yeah, that's a bit much for an SC. That's 964 money, there. A decent drive-able SC can be had for less than 15K these days.

pigeon
pigeon SuperDork
3/4/12 9:09 p.m.
nocones wrote: I think you better be SERIOUS if you inquire. I like the color.

I like the color too.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/4/12 9:10 p.m.

That car has European lights front and rear. They're a common upgrade for US cars, but it may also be a gray market import. I have no direct experience with them, but it is said that it is often more difficult to get mechanical parts for them.

Rest of World (ROW) cars have ZZZ in the VIN.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/4/12 9:15 p.m.

After another look at the photo, the car doesn't have the side marker lights on the fenders, so it's probably a US car.

The pop off valve is an essential addition to an SC, but it's not difficult or expensive. The Carrera tensioners are a significant upgrade. I was just about to write a bit about both of these over on my Targa thread.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/4/12 9:19 p.m.

That's pretty close to the top of the market for that car. It's also hovering around a dangerous mileage number. It's low enough that it may never have had any serious engine work yet and, of course, it may have never needed any. However, sometimes you are better served by buying a car that has a few more miles on it, but with receipts for some pricey engine work (top end) that's already been done.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/4/12 9:22 p.m.

Look for these two oil lines that I'm pointing to with the screwdriver, which would indicate the Carrera tensioner upgrade.

Photobucket

Photobucket

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/4/12 9:43 p.m.

I always wanted to do the widebody turbo look without a spoiler

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/4/12 9:59 p.m.

Love the color. Seriously, that looks like Ruby Red Metallic, same color as mine. If it is, though, I thought that color was only available for '83 (SC) and '84 (Carrera). Of course, it's possible I'm wrong and/or the car was reprayed. Maybe it is slightly different.

Also, that looks like a Carrera front spoiler to me. In fact, that looks just like my car: Turbo tail (since replaced), Turbo wheels, Ruby Red, black interior, Carrera front spoiler. Weird. It does have the European-type headlights, though. Still, weird.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/4/12 9:59 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I always wanted to do the widebody turbo look without a spoiler

That is a neat look.

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
3/4/12 11:18 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I always wanted to do the widebody turbo look without a spoiler

911 Speedster

David

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/4/12 11:21 p.m.

yes.. but it looks best on a coupe'.

my prefered 911 would be a mid-80s wide body without a rear spoiler, and a long nose conversion that includes the RS front bumper

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
3/4/12 11:24 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote: Yeah, that's a bit much for an SC. That's 964 money, there. A decent drive-able SC can be had for less than 15K these days.

while a daily beater can certainly be had for 15k or less, top shelf SCs routinely trade hands north of 25K. I personally know of two that have sold for 35k.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
3/4/12 11:25 p.m.
Woody wrote: That's pretty close to the top of the market for that car. It's also hovering around a dangerous mileage number. It's low enough that it may never have had any serious engine work yet and, of course, it may have never needed any. However, sometimes you are better served by buying a car that has a few more miles on it, but with receipts for some pricey engine work (top end) that's already been done.

That mileage is nothing for a documeted, well serviced SC.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/4/12 11:29 p.m.

If I had the money to buy another car.. I would grab it

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox SuperDork
3/5/12 8:17 a.m.
forzav12 wrote:
Maroon92 wrote: Yeah, that's a bit much for an SC. That's 964 money, there. A decent drive-able SC can be had for less than 15K these days.

while a daily beater can certainly be had for 15k or less, top shelf SCs routinely trade hands north of 25K. I personally know of two that have sold for 35k.

I bought the '86 in my profile picture for $12K. It is definitely nicer than a beater. About $18K should get about the nicest SC you can find, short of a museum piece.

BHJ1tl3zQLJJIivesebIHYgPvUJ7I9Qi