midniteson
midniteson
1/22/10 12:06 p.m.

I just picked up a 1988 totyota celica alltrac for really cheap. It is all stock and is a bit wore out with 140 000 miles on it, but its driveable and runs well and pulls to the red line smoothly. It's radiator needs to be replaced (big leak) and the rear tail lights and spoiler need to be replaced as well. I am thinking of just restoring this car to stock cleanliness, and hanging on to it for a while. but......... id love to turn up the boost till this motor blows and then swap in a motor from a newer model alltrac. but then i dont think the car would be worth near as much, later on if i modify it and dont keep the original engine. so what do you think stock and clean? or boosted and mean?

cxhb
cxhb Reader
1/22/10 12:13 p.m.

Maybe you should just sell it to me...

Seriously though... I would fix the radiator, lights etc. and add a full 3 inch exhaust turbo back and rally cross the living E36 M3 out of it.

cxhb
cxhb Reader
1/22/10 12:14 p.m.

btw lets see some pictures!

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/22/10 12:19 p.m.
midniteson wrote: I just picked up a 1988 totyota celica alltrac for really cheap. It is all stock and is a bit wore out with 140 000 miles on it, but its driveable and runs well and pulls to the red line smoothly. It's radiator needs to be replaced (big leak) and the rear tail lights and spoiler need to be replaced as well. I am thinking of just restoring this car to stock cleanliness, and hanging on to it for a while. but......... id love to turn up the boost till this motor blows and then swap in a motor from a newer model alltrac. but then i dont think the car would be worth near as much, later on if i modify it and dont keep the original engine. so what do you think stock and clean? or boosted and mean?

This is one of those cars unless it's the IMSA GTO edition that a newer motor will INCREASE the value. Go to town on the current motor, throw a big turbo on it and blow it up. Then installed an ST205 motor or Caldina GT4 motor, and enjoy 300+awhp with bolt ons.

I vote boosted and mean. Unless it's an IMSA GTO, it's not worth anything unless it IS boosted and mean, or showroom mint with 10k miles or less.

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
1/22/10 12:27 p.m.

you can kinda see behind the camaro here. its sittin in a barn half hour away. i'll get some more next time i work on it.

jhaas
jhaas New Reader
1/22/10 1:24 p.m.
midniteson wrote: you can kinda see behind the camaro here.

i HATE you...

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/22/10 6:31 p.m.

I forgot they came in that bodystyle. Very effin nice.

smog7
smog7 Dork
1/22/10 7:18 p.m.

another all trac!

just like 93celicaGT2 said, build a monster.

tkm
tkm New Reader
1/23/10 12:44 a.m.

Am I the only one that would like to see some of these classic Japanese performance cars somewhat restored to their former glory?

Honestly, I just don't think North America appreciated how many good Japanese performance cars there were for a span of 10-15 or so from the mid 80's to the late 90's.

Really don't see the point in blowing the OEM motor. If anything, I'd do a nice rebuild of the car and have something that not a lot of people have.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/23/10 10:10 a.m.
tkm wrote: Am I the only one that would like to see some of these classic Japanese performance cars somewhat restored to their former glory? Honestly, I just don't think North America appreciated how many good Japanese performance cars there were for a span of 10-15 or so from the mid 80's to the late 90's. Really don't see the point in blowing the OEM motor. If anything, I'd do a nice rebuild of the car and have something that not a lot of people have.

If he stuffs a later generation 3sgte he'd have something that not a lot of people have either. And gain the following:

Better gas mileage. Better driveability. Better parts availability. Way more power. Newer lower miles motor. etc etc etc... there is NO downside to swapping a later 3sgte in these things. The 1g 3sgte is kindof a turd relatively speaking.

sobe_death
sobe_death New Reader
1/23/10 10:49 a.m.

so is the later 3sgte the same in all forms, or do you need the Celica version to make it more painless? Is it mostly just ecu differences?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
1/23/10 11:08 a.m.
sobe_death wrote: so is the later 3sgte the same in all forms, or do you need the Celica version to make it more painless?

Mounting is the same. Wiring is really the main problem with all of them.

I would steer clear of the MR2 3sgtes if you're working on a Celica. It's a PITA to track down all the other stuff. Celica/Caldina is drop in with all the crap that goes with it, and then worry about wiring.

But in terms of differences between the motors? There's intercooling, turbo, fuel, MAF vs. MAP, cams, ignition, rods, etc etc etc....

But it's all the same basic motor. I tend to like the 3rd and 4th generations because 300whp is cake. Intake, boost controller, and exhaust. Done.

midniteson
midniteson New Reader
6/9/10 9:14 p.m.

Finally got out to work on her a bit today, she fired right up after sitting for over a year, but the clutch pedal is to the floor, and limp gotta bleed the system and see if that helps. cleaned up the engine a lil bit, heres some pics.

jlm_photo
jlm_photo New Reader
6/9/10 9:20 p.m.

Sweet ride. I'd love to find one of those just sitting.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
6/9/10 9:30 p.m.

Am I the only one that was hoping for a Previa SC Alltrac?

Good car mate, let me know if you want to get rid of it ever. I want an alltrac one day.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0vCHEkKdAvpp9mJrT7Wq6l8206wHpjePhBzrSiutXe6wsZa2fXTZDQwxLztFgdeh