Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/15/14 11:16 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Nick_Comstock wrote:
Woody wrote: Texas...
FTFY
Gotta be something to make it worthwhile living there

Well I did get out on the bike Saturday for about five hours enjoying the 70 degree weather. Try that in mid December in Michigan

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
12/15/14 11:20 a.m.
danvan wrote: Man it is still about 4.00 a gal up in Canada $1.15 per liter is the best I have seen Diesel is $1.35 / liter

$0.749/L in Deadmonton

Zomby Woof wrote: $.90 here and falling. Under $3.00 if you do the math.

Its criminal that your gas is only more expensive due to taxes compared to ours

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/15/14 11:26 a.m.

Time to go fill the 429 Caddy.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
12/15/14 12:11 p.m.
Nick_Comstock wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Nick_Comstock wrote:
Woody wrote: Texas...
FTFY
Gotta be something to make it worthwhile living there
Well I did get out on the bike Saturday for about five hours enjoying the 70 degree weather. Try that in mid December in Michigan

Lots of bikes out this weekend, it was 55 degrees. Regular heat wave.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/15/14 12:25 p.m.

http://greenbay.craigslist.org/cto/4770797115.html 1969 Cadillac deVille 4 Door Hardtop - $3500 (Suamico)

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/15/14 1:25 p.m.

There is a station literally one block from my house. Its usually the highest in town. It was at $2.79 for unleaded when I drove to work. I was literally on fumes but I thought I could get it cheaper on base. The AAFES station had unleaded for $2.85. WTF AAFES? They usually price their fuel a couple a cents lower than the local area. I didn't have enough fuel to drive the 12 miles back to the other station. Oh well, it was only 6¢ a gallon more.

What really baffles me is that I can drive 40 miles to Boise and pay $2.31 for unleaded.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/15/14 2:15 p.m.

I was happy with this today on my way back from lunch:

We're running $2.22 for 87 here right now, but I had $.20 off.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/15/14 2:18 p.m.

2.27, here, 25$ to fill Miyuki... god I love cheap corollas and cheap gas.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
12/15/14 3:25 p.m.

We are still getting screwed to the tune of $1.05 / L or about $4 a U.S. Gallon.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
12/15/14 3:35 p.m.

Mazdeuce, I seem to remember that your wife works for the petroleum industry. Are cheap prices going to hurt jobs in the industry? I imagine that at some point the falling market will put a stop to more expensive methods of oil extraction. Your thoughts?

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/15/14 3:54 p.m.

It's Bush's fault. I love fracking. That's why we're at war.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/15/14 4:29 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: Mazdeuce, I seem to remember that your wife works for the petroleum industry. Are cheap prices going to hurt jobs in the industry? I imagine that at some point the falling market will put a stop to more expensive methods of oil extraction. Your thoughts?

Friend of mine works on an oil rig for BP, he says they're getting nervous and there are whisperings of layoffs coming but nothing certain yet.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
12/15/14 4:36 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: Mazdeuce, I seem to remember that your wife works for the petroleum industry. Are cheap prices going to hurt jobs in the industry? I imagine that at some point the falling market will put a stop to more expensive methods of oil extraction. Your thoughts?

Most companies have their production hedged out 6-12 months so the effects won't be immediate. (Somebody is losing on those hedges though). A LOT of the unconventional oil being produced isn't economic at the $55 prices of this afternoon. It's not quite as simple as stopping drilling though. Firstly, they have those contracts to sell oil for the next 6-12 months. Secondly, a lot of land that is leased in what's called "held by production". This means that that leases will renew as long as a certain amount of drilling/production has occurred during the lease. If it hasn't the lease is done and the land goes back on the market. So what do you do? Drill some uneconomic wells to hold the land hoping that prices will come back? Or do you think that prices will stay down long enough that it's better to let the land go?
Those price hedges I talked about before? Those will assure that the oversupply that is occurring now will keep occurring for a while. That oil is already sold, it just needs to be produced and paid for and the oil companies don't much care what happens to it once someone has bought it. Unless OPEC does something to change global production, prices should stay low for a while. This will reduce rig count and the need for drillers and to some extent, the need for exploration, which is what my wife does.
Interesting times.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
12/15/14 4:50 p.m.

I just filled the FRS up for $4.20/gallon and it felt like a bargain! (Premium is 60 cents a gallon more than regular in Canada)

Well, it did until you posted this

mazdeuce:

I used to work in for Western Geo doing Exploration in Nigeria. Cant say as the current price was ever a dictator of how much they put into the effort since the oil companies have all been through a few boom and bust and know that demand will always come back. Drilling and distribution on the other hand, might suffer due to the cost.

There are other subtext to cheap gas that have me worried.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
12/15/14 6:19 p.m.

Does this mean Fergus gets to come out and play?

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
12/15/14 6:34 p.m.

The cheapest gas station near my house is at $2.45. I did just happen to have a coupon to get a tank at $2.15 today. On the news, they said it's because partly of the global economic slowdown is lowering demand. Some is because the U.S. is the leader or second in the world in crude oil production, increasing crude oil supply for the world. Some is also the continued relatively high supply of crude oil to intentionally hurt Russia's economy. So, yes, you can thank Obama for cheap gas. I'm still looking at buying a diesel car, because I don't think prices will stay this low by April, maybe April 2016 at the latest.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
12/15/14 7:46 p.m.

Low gas prices arent doing us any real good unless you dont plan to live very long.

I kind of wish gas prices had EVER gotten high enough to convince millions of americans that they should be commuting in an efficient car most of the time and save the truly excessive vehicles for when they are needed. They never did, although we made some strides in that direction.

But, for the most part, i think we will skip over the part where we transition to efficient vehicles we can still drive and will go directly to efficient vehicles that drive themselves for our own safety at some later date when it is WAY too late to do anything about the carbon de-sequestration we did in 2014.

The difference between $4, 3, and $2/gal gas is very little to me. When i drove a lot i bought 50mpg cars. Now i can drive a 20 mpg car for as little as it 'cost' me to drive a 50mpg car a few years ago. Progress? Meanwhile my parents' dogs who live their whole lives in the shadow of 600-ft smokestacks are developing cancers at uhh..statistically significant rates. Canary in a coalmine, except the coalmine is my future.

< Still glad Mazdeuce didnt put the I <3 Fracking sticker on his Caddy.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
12/15/14 8:09 p.m.
Hungary Bill wrote:
Friend of mine works on an oil rig for BP, he says they're getting nervous and there are whisperings of layoffs coming but nothing certain yet.

I called about a car today that's up for sale because the guy's being laid off from his job in Fort Mac in a few weeks.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
12/15/14 8:14 p.m.

Paid $2.20 here in SW Michigan. It wasn't totally empty, but I filled up the Saturn for $12.00 the other day and got a little pocket change back. That hasn't happened since college.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory SuperDork
12/15/14 8:26 p.m.

I'll be saving $350-$400 per year with just the drop in gas prices.

I could concievably triple my mpg by buying an import, Neon, Focus or similar and really pocket some money!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 SuperDork
12/15/14 8:41 p.m.

I don't watch the news, and my radio station ain't said. Why is gas going down so dramatically?

Grm is really the only news source I pay attention to. Y'all may be biased, but at least you admit it.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
12/15/14 9:03 p.m.

It's hovering right around $2.43 here. I still can't get used to being able to fill up my truck for less than $30. I almost started to put more in and then I looked at the gallons. Yep, she's full.

I have a 300 gallon old heating oil tank, and I would consider filling that puppy up before the prices climb too high again, but I don't thnk gas will "keep" the same way diesel does.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy Reader
12/15/14 9:25 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

You are more than welcome to drive, or not, what you want. It's unfortunate that you don't feel others should have that freedom, because you know better. An auto enthusiast forum is not an acceptable place to tell people what they should drive. Unless the the answer is a Miata, then you're okay.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
12/15/14 11:06 p.m.

It's about $3, depending on what town you are in.

daeman
daeman New Reader
12/15/14 11:23 p.m.

I'm so jealous, fuel has dropped in price in Australia a bit. But at 1.20-35/l for standard and 1.35-45/l for premium that's still over $6 per gallon....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8LGMdMKtrPJDUx9vaGE8UF8K0JgZWuhvsSPTfqeabeXGEtPXvSM8TlrKQIFYXgWQ