mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
12/9/10 11:12 a.m.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/2101071883.html

Is it possible to replace these rings without pulling the engine? Does it probably need valve stem seals also? Also, what's the scoop on these as a fun daily? Do they have the same "peaky" engine that most civics do? I've not been into these over the years b/c of the typical buyers, but what say you GRM? Other than rings, what else would you look forward to replacing first?

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
12/9/10 1:22 p.m.

They have B18 engines (dohc 1.8l) compared to the usual sohc 1.6 D16 that the civics came with. For such a small bump in displacement the torque difference is quite noticeable. Slightly more undersquare engine geometry means that they aren't as rev-happy, theoretically. I can't say you'd complain about it during dd duty though.

Tough to guess what else needs replacing. Clutches and radiators seem to have an average 100K lifespan on these cars. Might also need suspension bushings and dampers to turned into a tossable commuter. Pretty much the common stuff you'd expect on a car of that age.

integraguy
integraguy Dork
12/9/10 3:16 p.m.

I "recently" owned a '92 Integra. When I "killed" it (please don't ask) it had almost as many miles on it as this car. Mine was an automatic 4 door. Mine DIDN'T smoke when I got it with about 140K on it so I can't say if I would agree about the ring assesment. Mine had the engine rebuilt at about 180K when my hard driving broke a motor mount free of the engine block in a way that was impossible to fix without replacing the engine. At the time it died, it ran pretty good though I would definitely think long and hard about getting any Honda older than about 2000 with automatic. They have almost no torque until about 2500 rpm.........yet, when I was having the engine re-built in the Integra, I was given a '97 Civic with automatic that wasn't as bad "off the line". Must be the DOHC Honda engines can't take the use of automatics.

To get back to this car: at this price point, I'd buy it then replace the whole engine with a lower mileage one. Integras up through 2000 use pretty much the same engine (there may be small variations to meet emissions changes) and if you decide to go to a different engine....well, you have many options. In my experience, the plastics (inside and out) will be brittle on these cars....or pretty much any car that's 20 years old as ozone will take it's toll. Suspension will probably need refreshing, as will cooling. BUT, it's a testament to these cars that this one is still driveable...it just won't pass any smog tests at the moment.

P.S. check for rust, especially considering it has a "new" paint job.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
12/9/10 4:21 p.m.

challenge car..?? IT car..?? at that price you can do pretty much anything you want with it

iceracer
iceracer Dork
12/9/10 5:31 p.m.

As long as you are putting rings in it, might as well replace the bearings.

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Reader
12/9/10 11:06 p.m.

Another one of those has been sitting next door to me for a couple of years. It belongs to the guy's son, apparently. It's black, has fenderwell rust and good-looking aftermarket wheels, automatic, and no front seats. I try really hard not to think about the possibilities.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Rc6GsvtRmVxybLxgkCIS5ap7cTNUsrT2klkZoW05np62MSJbMVa4yGSqn8V1bVzi