davidjs
davidjs Reader
7/14/12 8:08 p.m.

Hey guys - my father in law just got a free 1994 Sentra with the 1.6l engine. It seems to run ok, but apparently has a horrible top-end clatter.

Does this engine have HLAs? Timing chain? It should be a GA16DE.

Is there a decent forum with any information on these (yes, I realize the 1994 Sentra with the 1.6 probably doesn't have a huge enthusiast community... )

The Haynes manual is 1981-1994, so I figure it isn't the most specific manual in the world... any recommendations?

Thanks for any help!

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/14/12 8:32 p.m.

Hey... I might know this one... If the car has ever blasted a head gasket and swallowed water the engine might have pounded out the top of the rod bearings... Really.... I had an 87 Sentra that did this... You could cruise down the road about 50 and have the engine in a light load situation and could listen to the rods knock... Sounded similar to detonation, but only happened under light load...

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
7/14/12 8:48 p.m.

Does it rattle more off-throttle when you blip the throttle? Apparently chain guides failing are common. It is also an interference engine.

One of my students just had the (super noisy) chain on his GA fail.

My GA was just starting to get noisy when I sold it.

http://www.nissanforums.com

http://sr20nation.com/ga16forum/

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
7/14/12 9:18 p.m.

They have solid lifters, timing chain guides could cause the noise though.

davidjs
davidjs Reader
7/15/12 4:13 p.m.

Thanks guys, I haven't been over to it yet, but I'll check to see WHEN it's knocking...

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/15/12 4:49 p.m.

IIRC there are TWO chains.

Travis_K
Travis_K SuperDork
7/15/12 5:05 p.m.

If it hasn't disappeared, I have a factory service manual for those in good condition id sell for $50. It would have to be in like 2 weeks though because i wont be home until then.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
7/15/12 9:55 p.m.

There ~are~ two chains - one to run off the crank, and one to run the cams. The engine has variable valve timing of sorts.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PhcYxTId2rUgzSYjILy4GEelovW4fLtPti6RFq0SLaref4st3w4wTum07boZAupi