OldManOldChevy
April 23, 2014 4:01 p.m.

Got a 1999 Silverado 4x4 with 4.3 vortec. Runs very rough at stop light, check engine light stays on. New plugs, wires, dist cap, rotor, ignition module, MAP, and Warm exhaust air sensor. Air filter is new an throttle body is clean. Fuel pump is good as well. Engine has 160k + miles and has original spider injector and pressure regulator. I am feeling pretty confident that I should replace the spider injector. Saw older post put want to make sure not missing anything else. Thanks

Streetwiseguy UberDork
April 23, 2014 6:14 p.m.

Scan it, and get back to me. EGR valve stuck open, fuel pressure regulator ruptured, reversed plug wires, bad plug, no compression...

OldManOldChevy
OldManOldChevy New Reader
April 23, 2014 6:26 p.m.

Had is scanned not long ago, codes indicated MAP(replaced), warm air sensor on exhaust bank 2 (replaced), new a/c delco plugs, wire, dist cap, ignition module, cap, and rotor (I was ill so had to let dealer do it), I have verified that no wires are crossed. Still need to check EGR. runs extremely good above 30 mph. Loads up at stop light, exhaust pipe black and sooty. Pulls like a mule when in 4x. Also takes a while to crank. Throttle body was extremely dirty when I cleaned it.

OldManOldChevy
April 23, 2014 6:30 p.m.

I appreciate the help. I am an old timer that used a feeler gauge, dwell tach, and vacume gauge to turn low 12's in quarter. (8 track were still new for tunes)

dj06482
dj06482 Dork
April 23, 2014 8:13 p.m.

As others have said, let us know what codes still remain after the parts that have been recently replaced.

Kramer Dork
April 23, 2014 8:34 p.m.

Pull the distributor. It is probably very worn. Free to check. Happens a lot with the plastic dist shafts.

solfly Reader
April 23, 2014 9:04 p.m.

Ck codes ck dist ck wirimg to map ck wiring under fuse box under hood

racerfink SuperDork
April 24, 2014 1:32 a.m.

I just had to replace the distributor on my '96 Chevy C1500 with a 350. The cam position sensor, which is on the distributor, was bad. I had just recently replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, and the spider too.

Would sometimes shift hard, and had a stumble when at a constant speed while in third gear. It pulled strong while accelerating though.

curtis73 UberDork
April 24, 2014 2:04 a.m.
Streetwiseguy wrote: Scan it, and get back to me. EGR valve stuck open,

On a 4.3L, I would bet good money on EGR. They get crusty and stick open. They're right on the front of the engine and pretty easy to whack with a stick. Do that and see if you get any changes.

If you don't, another thought is something downstream; O2, catalyst, etc.

curtis73 UberDork
April 24, 2014 2:07 a.m.

Long cranking could be crank position sensor, but typically once it fires its good. It has to spend a few more revs cranking to determine the cam position which is half the speed. Once it gets it, they usually run pretty well. Worth checking, but I doubt that's the issue on that GM.

curtis73 UberDork
April 24, 2014 2:08 a.m.

Oh... IAC can get crusty too. It can't do its job regulating idle air.

OldManOldChevy
April 26, 2014 11:56 a.m.

Update: IAC and EGR cleaned, they were not too bad. Have not got a chance to check the codes. Interesting find though. Checked my oil, 2 quarts to much. Drained and put in fresh oil. Old oil very thin and smelled of gas. Trans fluid and coolant level unchanged. I think the fuel regulator and spider are done for.

OldManOldChevy
May 4, 2014 7:35 a.m.

Thanks for the help and ideas. I pulled the upper intake plenum. Manifold port 3, 5, & 6 washed completely clean. Put in the new mpi now runs better than new! Thanks again for all the ideas, they all helped getting it running like new again. Latter

curtis73 UberDork
May 4, 2014 10:27 a.m.

Glad to hear it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

3 hours ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

4 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

5 hours ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

14 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

1 day ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

1 day ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

1 day ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

1 day ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

1 day ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

1 day ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

2 days ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

You Need This: E46-Chassis BMW M3 for $6000!?

3 days ago in News

Could this M3 donate its heart to your next project?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
J5Q4ZHyZN19jo779LWDvH2rlycEAvM47