m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/10/09 10:36 a.m.

I just bought my wife a 99 Outback. We didn't set out for an outback, but the car was so clean (dealer maintained from day 1 and the interior looks nearly brand new - yay for people w/out kids) that we bought it.

The only fault I have with the car is at idle when in D, alot of engine vibration comes through. If in Park or Neutral, the car idles very smooth.

Engine mounts seem good, it doesn't seem to torque side to side.

Any ideas?

m4ff3w
2/10/09 10:37 a.m.

mith612
mith612 New Reader
2/10/09 10:57 a.m.

I've had four subarus in the family (97 Impreza L, 97 Impreza OBS, 98 Impreza L and 99 Outback) and they've all done that. Not that I have a diagnosis or a cure ... just that its not that uncommon an occurance.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/10/09 11:04 a.m.

I'd be more concerned about headgaskets than vibrations. Isn't that the vintage that had a decent amount of headgasket issues???

If it's not an engine/tranny mount, then I'd have no idea.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
2/10/09 11:42 a.m.

You owe it to yourself to buy a http://www.rallitek.com/trmoautr.html and a http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/products/group-pitch-stop-mount-p-317.html . That'll get rid of most of the bad vibes, and it'll be a good bit more fun/smooth on a daily basis.

m4ff3w
2/10/09 2:33 p.m.
gamby wrote: I'd be more concerned about headgaskets than vibrations. Isn't that the vintage that had a decent amount of headgasket issues??? If it's not an engine/tranny mount, then I'd have no idea.

The original lasted 147k and was replaced at the dealer 8/20/07.

m4ff3w
2/10/09 2:36 p.m.
ValuePack wrote: You owe it to yourself to buy a http://www.rallitek.com/trmoautr.html and a http://www.subaruwrxparts.com/products/group-pitch-stop-mount-p-317.html . That'll get rid of most of the bad vibes, and it'll be a good bit more fun/smooth on a daily basis.

Do those add any extra vibration/harshness? The car is strictly mommy/family duty. I have my X1/9 for my daily/fun car.

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/10/09 3:16 p.m.

Stiffer mounts usually add vibration, not reduce it.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
2/10/09 3:28 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote:
gamby wrote: I'd be more concerned about headgaskets than vibrations. Isn't that the vintage that had a decent amount of headgasket issues??? If it's not an engine/tranny mount, then I'd have no idea.
The original lasted 147k and was replaced at the dealer 8/20/07.

...then you're probably in the clear.

dculberson wrote: Stiffer mounts usually add vibration, not reduce it.

Tell me about it. My Civic hatch has poly mounts and sometimes it's REALLY annoying at idle. I notice it more when I have a passenger, though.

It's a beater, though--so I can excuse it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
2/10/09 6:09 p.m.

w00t!

I love me some Outbacks! Awesome cars, if a little gutless with the N/A 2.5L.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
2/10/09 6:21 p.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Any ideas?

Have you done a tune up? Something as simple as plugs and wires are the most common cause for vibration at low idle, in my experience.

Bryce

dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/10/09 8:53 p.m.

m4ff3w, I forgot to add that your Outback's interior looks great!!

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
2/11/09 2:13 a.m.
m4ff3w wrote: Do those add any extra vibration/harshness? The car is strictly mommy/family duty. I have my X1/9 for my daily/fun car.

I've installed the combo on two Subarus with great sucess. Extra NVH is very, very minimal, particularly when using just the A/T trans mount insert(no extra sound or vibes when used alone). I installed both on my wife's Forester(SOHC EJ25, 4EAT) without prior consent and she wouldn't have noticed if it weren't for the reduced driveline slop on closing throttle and downshifts. No complaints here. Personally, I like the STI Group N engine/trans mounts, but they may be just a bit much for a mommy mobile.

Grab the Rallitek insert alone, if you want a bit less slop from there, the Group N pitch mount is only a 20 minute install away.

Good score getting a clean Subie with fresh headgaskets.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vNf3aN9CTDOI5GIY10yEMHtw9nAJ6SY762VSNjeZIX4RvGmOt6KP8eprkUjJNH8x