1 2
Storz
Storz Dork
4/29/15 6:15 a.m.

Anyone own one? Good friend of mine works at the local P-car stealership and they took in a one owner, low mileage 2006 Cayenne yesterday. I am in the market for an SUV. More interested in poor weather performance and comfort than outright performance, but is the VR6 in that heavy a truck a complete turd? Reliability?

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/15 6:45 a.m.

Never owned one myself, but my Porsche club friends that own them love them, and have no complaints. Even the V-6 is pretty powerful.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
4/29/15 6:49 a.m.

For what its worth there are two people I know that bought a first gen and when it was time to "retire" it they just bought a new one to park alongside the first gen they kept.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/15 7:01 a.m.

I find it pretty amazing that well-used Turbos can be had for ~$15k...that's silly, drunken, pre-recession levels of depreciation.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
4/29/15 7:13 a.m.

06 should be ok, 04-05 had electrial teething pains.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
4/29/15 7:15 a.m.

In reply to Tyler H:

Its a turbocharged, SUV with Porsche decals all over it, you werent expecting them to depreciate like a used condom?

84FSP
84FSP Reader
4/29/15 7:17 a.m.

It's so strange that the Porsche version is well loved and seemingly a decent vehicle. The VW Touraeg which is effectively the same vehicle seems to be such a problem and won the coveted title of most expensive vehicle to own cradle to grave. I rode in both when new and thought they were really nice SUV's despite not being for me...

Tyler H
4/29/15 7:46 a.m.

I think that underscores the difference in expectations between Porsche and VW buyers.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
4/29/15 7:58 a.m.

The Toureg is made in Romania.

The Cayenne is made in Germany.....by Romanian workers.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/15 9:02 a.m.
Tyler H wrote: I find it pretty amazing that well-used Turbos can be had for ~$15k...that's silly, drunken, pre-recession levels of depreciation.

I didn't need to know that.

Tyler H
4/29/15 9:08 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Tyler H wrote: I find it pretty amazing that well-used Turbos can be had for ~$15k...that's silly, drunken, pre-recession levels of depreciation.
I didn't need to know that.

Submitted for proof...first 2 seconds of hitting Atlanta Craigslist: Atlanta CL: Home of yesterdays status symbols.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/29/15 9:21 a.m.

It's funny that you should mention this, as I was thinking about these things this morning. I'd like to see GRM type buyer's guide for these things and guys like us. Not the typical Consumer Reports stuff thing that says "avoid them because of this and this...". I want to see "Here's why you might want one, here's what it might need, and here's how to fix it".

I think some V8s had a issue with plastic coolant plumbing under the intake manifold or something like that, but the fix is well documented.

Ask about them on Pelican. Lots of guys who own and fix 911s have Cayennes.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/29/15 9:30 a.m.
Woody wrote: It's funny that you should mention this, as I was thinking about these things this morning. I'd like to see GRM type buyer's guide for these things and guys like us. Not the typical Consumer Reports stuff thing that says "avoid them because of this and this...". I want to see "Here's why you might want one, here's what it might need, and here's how to fix it". I think some V8s had a issue with plastic coolant plumbing under the intake manifold or something like that, but the fix is well documented. Ask about them on Pelican. Lots of guys who own and fix 911s have Cayennes.

I, too would like to see this. It'd be nice to have something fast and fun that can also haul plenty of people and stuff and also tow a fair bit. Not that I'm going to be in the market any time in the next.... decade, but a guy can dream, right?

tjbell
tjbell Reader
4/29/15 9:53 a.m.

We sold one at my last shop I worked at, I think it was an 05 or 06 with the v8 so Cayenne S? Either way, it rode great and the thing moved! I enjoyed it, I wanna say it had ~80K and we sold it for 18,500$ ish? this one had the plastic coolant tube replaced. if the price is right, I'd buy one in a second

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
4/29/15 9:54 a.m.

There is an S with the V-8 and automatic on the local CLfor less than $15k. But what looks like the very same vehicle is also for sale the next town over.

Storz
Storz Dork
4/29/15 10:41 a.m.

Going to take a test drive around 3 this afternoon, will post back afterwards

It is pretty...

series8217
series8217 Reader
4/29/15 2:34 p.m.

I'm in the market for a Cayenne S as well. I heard the 6-cylinder is less reliable than the V8. Going to start seriously shopping in July.

Subscribed.

Cotton
Cotton UltraDork
4/29/15 2:48 p.m.

Damn it now I want one...

DuctTape&Bondo
DuctTape&Bondo Dork
4/29/15 3:23 p.m.
Cotton wrote: Damn it now I want one...

GRM Effect.

Mad_Ratel
Mad_Ratel Reader
4/29/15 4:14 p.m.

lol at GRM affect...

from what I undestand, porsche usually takes the shell of whatever vw makes and addes a ton of weldes etc/beams, then redoes the suspension etc... at least when you look at the Macan it looks completely different to VW's version...

Thinkkker
Thinkkker UltraDork
4/29/15 4:47 p.m.

The biggest issue that I have seen on these in the interior seems to fall apart. Most used ones have the edges of every piece of interior worn off.

I am sure the brakes are as expensive as the touareg though. The interior pushed me towards the Lexus, not to mention the 4x4 prowess...

84FSP
84FSP Reader
4/29/15 7:43 p.m.

Interesting stuff here guys. I had thought they would be much closer relatives...

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/29/15 9:13 p.m.

It's interesting this thread has come up now. I was in New Orleans for a conference at our office down there, and a co-worker from there has a Cayenne. I didn't get to ride in it or talk to her about it(we're on 2-different teams), but I noticed once when she had the door open that the front seat bottoms looked pretty worn. I also wondered how she afforded a Porsche & thought maybe I needed to be asking for a raise...but if these are selling this cheap then maybe not.

Storz
Storz Dork
4/30/15 6:19 a.m.

Went and looked at the Cayenne yesterday and am going to pass. The performance/price is a little out of line for this particular one IMHO. It is a nice clean example, but if I am going to go the Cayenne route (which I am still undecided on) its going to have 8 cylinders.

I agree about the interior on these things too, pretty basic. The Touaregs of this vintage I've seen have much, much nicer appointments.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad Dork
4/30/15 10:09 a.m.

An '06 would have the 3.2 VR6, it wasn't until '07 that it got the 3.6 engine. I'd guess 250 hp shoving around nearly 5000 lbs won't get you run over on the merge lanes but won't win any drag races either.

FWIW I have the 3.6 VR6 and while it runs and sounds great it is an interferance design. Fun lesson to learn.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RnXEywgImfun2FGFsfInHV3uO6mrfeaM4ac6mR6wewwCICJJpf1BGTAmkxesuG2d