1 2
CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/19/12 9:25 a.m.

I talked my buddy into buying this car a few years ago with the idea we could easily put a 1JZ in it and call it a day. Well it wasn't quite that simple and what started out that way has ended up being a completely custom build from the ground up with a custom frame and lots of metal work. This thing is amazing and is only getting more impressive by the day.

The 1UZ has been custom tuned with an AEM ems system, has custom metal work galore, etc. The pics speak for themselves. I can 100% guarantee this will be the nicest Toyota Corona EVER!

Heres my buddies copy:

Literally half of this car has been fabbed up in Oregon. I've got a thread running over on the Supra forums but my buddy (who actually turned me onto the car originally) sent me a link to this site and suggested I post the build progress up here.

Anyway, what started as a stupid idea has grown a mind of it's own and is way beyond anything I expected when I bought the car for $300 about four years ago. Originally I was going to try and drop a 1J in it but as you can see from the photos it was a little tight.

We shoehorned a 1UZ in instead. The frame was built here at our shop, along with all of the metal work you'll see in the following photos. Mustang II up front and an 8" ford rear end with a triangulated 4 bar.

Engine has new headers a custom exhaust and high performance mufflers but other than that just a tuning at the local shop to get it to accept a manual transmission (TKO 500).

We've started on the interior/wiring/etc so hopefully we can slap a coat of paint and get sideways a few times before summers up. Anyway, hope you guys enjoy it.

Youtube short of the engine running after first programming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSyYt-9mw4&feature=player_embedded

Photos:

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltraDork
3/19/12 9:27 a.m.

Thats berkeleying sweet. About all I can say. berkeleying sweet.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Reader
3/19/12 9:28 a.m.

I could do that!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
3/19/12 9:28 a.m.

Looks awesome!!!

Shouldn't that be "1jz" instead of "1uz," though? (Or are pictures not loading for me that show the 1jz being removed?)

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/19/12 9:31 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

We initially bought a 1JZ for the project but the dimensions just were not right for that engine bay. The 1UZ on the other hand looks like it was made to be in that engine bay!

MG Bryan
MG Bryan Dork
3/19/12 9:34 a.m.

I wish I could do wonderful things like that with metal. I'm impressed.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
3/19/12 9:35 a.m.

That's amazing.

AquaHusky
AquaHusky Reader
3/19/12 9:49 a.m.

I remember my paerents having 2 of those cars when I was itty bitty. A red one and a yellow one. Never thought I'd see one fixed up. That's some really good work there.

PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
3/19/12 9:58 a.m.

What kind of transmission do you have bolted up to that beast?

Never mind, can't read. Looks awesome!

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
3/19/12 11:35 a.m.

Methinks you'll fit in here. Awesome.

singleslammer
singleslammer Reader
3/19/12 11:44 a.m.

This is great. I love old Japanese rear drive stuff!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy HalfDork
3/19/12 11:54 a.m.

you should cross post this in Japanese Nostaglic Car

very nice build

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/20/12 12:55 p.m.

I'll try to get some new pics as the car looks different every time I see it!

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/21/12 12:07 p.m.

Got a couple new pics of the interior and the center console they are fabbing up for the car. My buddy wanted a comfortable street car, so it will have AC, a stereo, cupholders and plenty of lbs of dynomat! HAHA

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/21/12 1:06 p.m.

Yes, nicely done.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/21/12 2:18 p.m.

99%. Needs Watanabe wheels to be 100% awesome.

wrek496
wrek496 New Reader
3/22/12 4:50 a.m.

That's gonna be one quick Corona! Flares?

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/24/12 2:43 a.m.

Thanks for the comments everybody! I will try and get some more pics of the build process, building the floor, etc. I saw the car today and it is coming along nicely. Hope to have it finished by the end of the summer. This project is on year 4 or 5 so its about time!

Agreed that watanabe's would be gorgeous on the car! And flares? Oh yeah, if done right I think they would be gorgeous.

Unfortunately the car does not belong to me so those decisions are not mine to make....I am just vicariously living through the friend I talked into starting this project in the first place. A project we thought would be done in a few months....hahaha

The car runs and drives as is, and the metal work is almost done. After upholstery and paint she will be ready to rock and roll! My friend is thinking about going with a nice pearl white, maybe the white lexus uses on the new IS.

I am just hoping my buddy doesnt wreck it the first week, it would be a shame to see all those hours and TONS of money go down the drain.

Anybody know when that classic japanese car meet is in Cali? I hav no idea what the name of it is, but I think its either in the LA or the Bay...car will be due for a road trip when its done!

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/24/12 3:13 a.m.

I have some more pics here from when we first brought it to the shop...

I saw it on eBay for like $300, about 30 mins south of Portland. I didnt have the space for another project on top of the lexus I was driving all the time. So I talked my good friend into buying it. I believe it actually KINDA ran when we got it too.....

I personally took stripped the car down and one thing that stounds out on this car and many classic cars for that matter is the attention to detail. This thing must have had 3 unique emblems on this car that were not used on any other, the seats were also embossed with a logo. You can tell a lot of thought went into the design of the car....

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'll try to get more pics of it on Monday, and I know that there is a video of it driving that I'll post up as well...

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
3/24/12 7:44 p.m.

Awesome Project

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/29/12 4:37 p.m.

Thanks for the comments everybody! I'll keep the pictures coming! Hopefully the car will be done by the end of the summer!

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/29/12 5:05 p.m.

It blows me away what some of you guys can build. I'm nervous about cutting my fenders for tire clearance.

That's just an awesome car. Wow.

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
3/29/12 5:29 p.m.

I'd love to take credit for the metal work, but I can't. We have some seasoned hot rod builders working on this thing everyday. Unfortunately I'm with you, I can barely weld a nice bead much less build a frame from scratch, a new floor, tranny tunnel, dash, center console, etc etc. I'm more of the idea man, demolition person and parts finder haha

If you REALLY look closely at before and after pics you can see some of the subtle stuff thats been done to the body. Is it for everybody? No! But if the owner likes it, thats all that really matters right?

Last updates I saw on the car was yesterday were: AEM was tucked away Front and back windows converted to power Cup holders (lol) finished in custom console I think the double din nav/cd has been fitted Rear end metal mods done Shaved emblem holes done Grill fits flush with headlights now "cubby hole thing" on dash done(gotta put your phone somewhere right?) rear end metal work is done

I believe a company is working on a custom gauge setup right now that will fit where factory gauges were, upholstery guy should be getting his hands on it soon,and new weather stripping was ordered. I cannot believe they make replacement weather stripping for this car!

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 HalfDork
7/3/12 9:36 p.m.

Took new pics today, I will try and post them this weekend...errr 4th of July!

WhiteLX
WhiteLX Reader
7/4/12 12:29 a.m.

How does the body mount to the frame? I have always wondered how to go about converting a unibody car to a full frame car with what appears to be a removable shell. How do you reinforce the locations for thebody mounts and create a floor in such a way that you aren't sitting ridiculously high. Do you create channels for the new frame rails in the floor?

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B8ybKZamh1Jk956heymBmQ3nGE0nlbn2Y6ruLbz4PjmQxUly3EQkTJkWg8NGzalw