1 2 3 4
nderwater
nderwater SuperDork
11/16/11 9:23 a.m.
ultraclyde wrote: Back in 05 or 06, Hot Rod Mag (I think) did a standing mile test and invited anyone who wanted to run. They also trapped the vehicles at 2 miles and measured acceleration Gs throughout. Vortech took an 05 GT with their big supercharger kit and some aero tweaks (no rear wing, taped seams, etc) It wasn't the fastest in the mile, but at the 2 mile it was doing 192 MPH, and at one mile it was accelerating at harder Gs than anything except the Indy car IIRC. I think they estimated it at 550 wheel HP or so. In other words, it would take you less than 2 miles to see 200 in that GT500, easy.

reading between the lines: easily accomplished on the interstate at 4am

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
11/16/11 9:27 a.m.
nderwater wrote:
ultraclyde wrote: In other words, it would take you less than 2 miles to see 200 in that GT500, easy.

reading between the lines: easily accomplished on the interstate at 4am

So long as you trust your brakes more than that certain part of your brain that tells you not to do things that might land you in a prison or morgue.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
11/16/11 11:07 a.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
Javelin wrote: * Porsche 911 (997) GT2 - 203

I'll narrow that list a little. Two seats my friend!

I thought the GT2 still had 4 in the US? We usually have to get to the "RS" level to get the scaffolds in the back.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
11/16/11 11:39 a.m.
Javelin wrote:
Maroon92 wrote:
Javelin wrote: * Porsche 911 (997) GT2 - 203

I'll narrow that list a little. Two seats my friend!

I thought the GT2 still had 4 in the US? We usually have to get to the "RS" level to get the scaffolds in the back.

Nope, non of the GT series have back seats.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
11/16/11 12:07 p.m.

I retract that car from the list then, which makes the Mustang even more impressive

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/16/11 12:10 p.m.

I thought the 911 Turbo S was a 200mph car? Top Gear said the Cabrio would hit 196mph...

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/16/11 12:20 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I thought the 911 Turbo S was a 200mph car? Top Gear said the Cabrio would hit 196mph...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-turbo-s/

Porsche seems to think that's fast enough regardless of what kind of roof it has.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/16/11 12:21 p.m.
MG_Bryan wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I thought the 911 Turbo S was a 200mph car? Top Gear said the Cabrio would hit 196mph...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-turbo-s/

Porsche seems to think that's fast enough regardless of what kind of roof it has.

Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Now i know i'll NEVER buy one, because i really need that last 4mph. Makes all the difference.

Cotton
Cotton Dork
11/16/11 12:38 p.m.

It officially hit 202 in Italy

http://jalopnik.com/5860063/the-2013-shelby-gt500-actually-has-a-top-speed-of-202-mph

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/16/11 12:44 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
MG_Bryan wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I thought the 911 Turbo S was a 200mph car? Top Gear said the Cabrio would hit 196mph...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-turbo-s/

Porsche seems to think that's fast enough regardless of what kind of roof it has.

Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Now i know i'll NEVER buy one, because i really need that last 4mph. Makes all the difference.

I was about to run right out and pick one up until I saw that it only does 196mph.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/16/11 12:50 p.m.
MG_Bryan wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
MG_Bryan wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I thought the 911 Turbo S was a 200mph car? Top Gear said the Cabrio would hit 196mph...

http://www.porsche.com/usa/models/911/911-turbo-s/

Porsche seems to think that's fast enough regardless of what kind of roof it has.

Ah ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Now i know i'll NEVER buy one, because i really need that last 4mph. Makes all the difference.

I was about to run right out and pick one up until I saw that it only does 196mph.

Seriously, i don't the Porsche anymore. That car sucks.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
11/16/11 3:54 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to EvanR: I would think the limit will be rising CAFE and emission standards. Oh, and environmentalist weenies.

That's probably a 40 year old quote.

Still hasn't shown to be true, yet.

I'm not talking about 40 years ago. I'm talking about the future.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/16/11 3:57 p.m.
MG_Bryan wrote: I was about to run right out and pick one up until I saw that it only does 196mph.

Push the little button thingy on the dash and it will do 315.4 km/h. That is way more than 200.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/16/11 4:04 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
MG_Bryan wrote: I was about to run right out and pick one up until I saw that it only does 196mph.

Push the little button thingy on the dash and it will do 315.4 km/h. That is way more than 200.

My math says it's 315.4 km/h = 196 mph... so I'm not sure about that.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
11/16/11 4:06 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: As much of a Ford fan as I am, and a multiple-time Mustang owner (I'm on #5... I think)... I'm curious how "200mph" is determined. Have we put this on a test track and seen it do 200mph? Or is this a "with this power and this gearing it can theoretically do 200mph"? Because if it's the latter, the Vipers had the rpm and gearing to do 300mph.

it actually did it, on a track in italy apparently.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/16/11 4:12 p.m.
MG_Bryan wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
MG_Bryan wrote: I was about to run right out and pick one up until I saw that it only does 196mph.

Push the little button thingy on the dash and it will do 315.4 km/h. That is way more than 200.

My math says it's 315.4 km/h = 196 mph... so I'm not sure about that.

Math according to college drop-out:

315.4 * 1000 * 100/2.54/12/5280=195.98...=196 mph

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
11/16/11 4:14 p.m.

Your sarcasm meter needs adjusting.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
11/16/11 4:16 p.m.

So did anyone else think the whole "Christmas Tree" style start light on the in-dash was a recipe from trouble? And really, what's the point of a Christmas Tree in the car? If its to try to get a "best reaction time" at stoplights, that's just stupid. If its for racing other people, well, they can't see it. BTW - I'm also in the "200mph is stupid" camp. There's plenty of places where a quick (or even blindingly fast) 0-60 can be safety enjoyed by the general public. 200mph capability, not so much. I have a feeling a lot of these are going to end up looking like the end of a Mythbuster's episode.

All that said, I still want one.

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/16/11 4:17 p.m.
z31maniac wrote: Your sarcasm meter needs adjusting.

Ooooooooooooh.... right. I get it now

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/16/11 4:31 p.m.
MG_Bryan wrote:
MG_Bryan wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
MG_Bryan wrote: I was about to run right out and pick one up until I saw that it only does 196mph.

Push the little button thingy on the dash and it will do 315.4 km/h. That is way more than 200.

My math says it's 315.4 km/h = 196 mph... so I'm not sure about that.

Math according to college drop-out:

315.4 * 1000 * 100/2.54/12/5280=195.98...=196 mph

LOL. You must have dropped out before Sarcasm 101.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/16/11 4:34 p.m.

Why is it sarcastic? 315 is more than 196, right?

MG_Bryan
MG_Bryan Reader
11/16/11 4:38 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
MG_Bryan wrote:
MG_Bryan wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote:
MG_Bryan wrote: I was about to run right out and pick one up until I saw that it only does 196mph.

Push the little button thingy on the dash and it will do 315.4 km/h. That is way more than 200.

My math says it's 315.4 km/h = 196 mph... so I'm not sure about that.

Math according to college drop-out:

315.4 * 1000 * 100/2.54/12/5280=195.98...=196 mph

LOL. You must have dropped out before Sarcasm 101.

That and subtleties of sarcasm might be lost on the internet.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
11/16/11 6:29 p.m.

I spent 70 minutes in 15mph bumper-to-bumper traffic coming home from work today, sitting right behind a Porsche GT2 the entire way.

His 200mph capability wasn't helping him.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
11/16/11 6:54 p.m.
bravenrace wrote:
alfadriver wrote:
bravenrace wrote: In reply to EvanR: I would think the limit will be rising CAFE and emission standards. Oh, and environmentalist weenies.

That's probably a 40 year old quote.

Still hasn't shown to be true, yet.

I'm not talking about 40 years ago. I'm talking about the future.

And history repeats itself again.

Each step was seen as the end, yet here we have a 600hp 202mph mustang that is clean to 120k and no gas guzzler.

Solutions always are found.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
11/16/11 7:11 p.m.

I'll believe 200 mph when someone from a magazine or car show does it.

And it can't have the grille(s) taped up either.

1 2 3 4
Our Preferred Partners
v4mjCuZC022ijvthz5JPsWIxfo1GVIuDHX0OYpT3iy4CH0QIeRSMJtBllsiqd3sF