mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
5/22/14 10:36 a.m.

My nephew is looking at a 2001 integra that has an auto tranny. Its got around 195k on the clock, and the owner says that it only has 1st, 2nd and reverse gears. He thinks that it needs a TCU. The car is very clean otherwise and he only wants slightly above scrap value for it. My rec is to get it, and at worse it will need a tranny. Can you guys think of any other items to look at, and does this seem as good a deal as it seems to me?

Thanks!

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UberDork
5/22/14 11:50 a.m.

Its a Honda, the auto is just a place filler till you can source a manual swap for it.

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
5/22/14 11:58 a.m.

I agree, but this car will be his dd and he isnt in a place where he could do an immediate swap yet.

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/22/14 12:30 p.m.

Just normal wear items... The suspension will probably all need freshened up. Might be due for it's 2nd tbelt. But for a bit over scrap value you can't really go wrong as long as it runs... btw, A factory rebuild is 2945.60... lol

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
5/22/14 3:16 p.m.

$3k is several times what the entire car will cost. Im gonna suggest that he stick w/ the jy trannys, if he needs one at all. Im hoping that its just a sensor somewhere thats causing the issue.

solfly
solfly Reader
5/22/14 5:07 p.m.

90% of the time if a honda automatic doesnt do what it's supposed to it needs to be replaced

Vracer111
Vracer111 New Reader
5/22/14 10:33 p.m.

My first car was a 91 Integra GS automatic. When the automatic would only go up to 2nd gear at around 140k miles I went ahead and swapped the car over to manual transmission for about $500... that was a fun experience (so much fun that I say get a manual if you want a manual!...LOL)

mrwillie
mrwillie HalfDork
5/23/14 1:11 p.m.

In reply to Vracer111:

Yeah. I believe that. Its never as easy as you want it to be.

Its looks like he might have "missed out" on this car anyway. Now he has his eye on a manual tranny, V6 mustang that the owner is trying to sell in a hurry.

We'll see how this one goes.

Thanks again!!!

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/23/14 4:13 p.m.
solfly wrote: 90% of the time if a honda automatic doesnt do what it's supposed to it needs to be replaced

This.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LWmJj9mr6HtVs3XEjSMNAjFdYbBRAivx9v6CdLBQ4gzk0MjqOGBrJyCvZGazrNCR