notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork New Reader
9/13/18 3:33 p.m.

I hope that this is the correct forum section for this question, if it isn't please alert me and I'll delete it or move it if possible. Here is the situation so far:

The third plug blew out of the cylinder head, seems to be a common problem. In this case the plug wasn't fully tightened down with only half of the threads in contact with the threaded hole. I brought the car to a trusted and experienced machinist to have the plug hols repaired who listed this sort of repair on his web page and who used to do this repair regularly for several Ford dealers on their trucks. The physical repair was a success, but when the machinist was cranking the engine over to blow the last of the debris out of the plug hole, he placed the high tension plug wire right against the coil and it caught fire ! He replaced the coil with a generic version and the car never started again. Compression was good but there was no spark even with the new coil.

The car was then brought to an expert BMW/Mini Cooper repair shop where the brain was deemed trash and replaced along with the generic coil. When they tried to boot the brain it would only go so far and stop accepting the programming. I was told that the wiring was fried, turned out that the next component down the line from the brain was at fault and needed replacing. The brain costs $2,300, this next component is going to cost $900, I'm into the car already for $6,500. Now I don't know what to do ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? 

The shop owner is telling me that I pretty much deserve what's happened for even buying the car as he considers them trash. Being friends with the machinist who did the head work and lit the original coil on fire, he says that burning up the coil wouldn't have affected the brain. The car ran PERFECTLY before blowing the plug and even ran perfectly with the plug held in the hold by hand. No reason to believe that the coil or brain were faulty in any way. I'm as angry and as frustrated as is humanly possible and want to sure everyone in eyesight.

I've been in touch with our local Mini dealer who asked that I have the shop owner call their service department and they could help talk him through a diagnostic, but the shop owner won;t agree to it saying that he knows more than the dealer and used to work there many years ago. His arrogance is palpable. He's also charging twice what the dealer charges for that "next in line" component !

I'm paying off the shop for the brain and bringing the car to the dealer tomorrow, is there anything that I should know about how this could have happened? Can a coil be fried by leaning a high voltage plug wire against it? Can a surge be sent down the line to the brain and fry that w=as well? Would this cause the wiring to burn or that "whatever" to give out next? Am I sunk here with a worthless, yet beautiful, piece of trash or can all of this be repaired successfully. Should I see a Lawyer or hit the small claims court or what? I am truly lost, angry, hurt, becoming vindictive and impossible to be around at this point and need HELP ! ! ! ! ! !

Thanks—

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 UberDork
9/20/18 3:54 p.m.

Was the machinist in Carver, MA?

notsafeforwork
notsafeforwork New Reader
9/20/18 4:20 p.m.

Yup, Les what's his name, worse still is his friend over at South Shore Autoworks:

Stay away.  Brought my 2003 Mini Cooper to these guys after another shop fried the computer.  The couldn't get the new computer to work despite trying repeatedly to run the program.  They told me there was further damage and the next part up the line would cost $900 + labor but the couldn't guarantee that would fix the problem.  I spoke to the service department at a Mini dealership.  They suggested SSA give them a call and perhaps they could talk them through the issue.  I spoke with the owner Jason who said he knew more than the dealership, there was nothing the could tell him that he didn't already know.  Arrogant doesn't even describe him,  he knew everything (except how to get my car started).  Towed it to the Mini place.  They programed the computer, no additional parts needed.  Makes me wonder if I need the computer in the first place.  They charged me $2400, wouldn't release the car until I paid them.  Go anyplace but here!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/south-shore-autoworks-kingston?adjust_creative=8V9UuraR77LhockFi_SmYw&utm_campaign=yelp_api_v3&utm_medium=api_v3_business_lookup&utm_source=8V9UuraR77LhockFi_SmYw&hrid=aScIG8TPmIjqBhJCHmhhSw

As soon as the post went up on Yelp the owner called and tried to explain. What a Douche ! ! ! ! Long story same outcome, just a Douche Bag ! Steer clear of BOTH of these guys !

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
9/20/18 5:21 p.m.

If it makes you feel any better, you very well could have needed the ECU.  Pretty much the only thing that will light a coil on fire is the driver in the ecu stuck on.  (assuming it was the coil that burned.)  Whether the ecu was damaged by the stress of trying to fire the coil off of the plug is another discussion, but any reasonably robust coil should be able to handle that for a few cycles.

imgon
imgon Reader
9/20/18 7:37 p.m.

I have had good luck with Minot Motorworks in Marshfield, good indi shop that specializes in euro cars. Could be useful the next time you need professional help. Sorry you had a bad experience with the other guys.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Ebb5aoVYhMH2crWmC9uu19Eizt95iM3BUYHc531ZgNand5BfdmvgSzONwd9Kj3A