1 2 3 4
Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/15 2:25 p.m.

First impressions.

I picked up two of these last Thrusday, 9/17/15. Both of them are '05s, both are base models with no frills. No power windows, no power locks, no nav, no carpet, no nothing. The only option they got was the 3.5 I5 instead of the 4cyl.

I've put 260 miles on mine since Thursday and first impressions are:

What a great little truck!!.

Even with 10 years and 128K miles on it, the steering is tight, the transmission is smooth, and the handling is very good for a truck.

The interior is decent, it is a work truck so it's pretty spartan. I'm sure the reviews complain about hard plastics but since I don't fondle the dash much, I really don't care what it feels like. Let's call it durable, at 10 years and 128K miles it still looks pretty good and there aren't any broken bits to deal with. Everything works and that's worth a lot these days.

The controls are well placed, the seat is pretty comfortable, and the dash is laid out well. I do wish it had a oil pressure and voltage gauges.

Considering the lack of carpet or sound deadening, it's surprisingly quiet.

The factory base radio sucks. Bad. Way too boomy. I don't listen to the radio much so it will probably be staying.

The amazing thing is the engine. Look at the torque curve, or maybe I should say torque line, because it doesn't curve much.

200+ lb-ft from about 1200 rpms all the way to well over 5K rpms. It pulls like a dream in all the gears and will accelerate with authority in OD from 45mph. Mash it to the mat and this little thing will go like stink. I'm betting it's at least as quick as my BB Ford, maybe quicker, and it will knock down 23 mpg at cruise. I love this engine. Torque for days and economy to boot. What's not to love...

Well, the not to love part is the engine sounds like ass at anything above 3500 rpms. Kind of a cross between a vacuum and a leaf blower. Yes, it's really that bad. I thought it might be just my truck, but they both sound the same. Thank the Lord for low end torque, it doesn't need to cross 3K much in regular driving. I'd almost consider the 4cyl just to avoid that noise, but the torque is worth it.

All in, it's a great little truck. I'll report back in a couple of months just to make sure this isn't just the newness of it. We'll see if I still like it then.

Toyman01
9/28/15 2:27 p.m.

Oh, and a thanks to Zomby Wolf for reminding me these existed.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/28/15 2:44 p.m.

nice truck. Do work trucks in SC come with A/C?

Toyman01
9/28/15 2:49 p.m.

In reply to Fueled by Caffeine:

Oh yes, no A/C and Toyman buys a different truck. It's a necessity, not an option.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/28/15 2:54 p.m.

Neat! I love non-carpeted vehicles. I usually give those fancy rubber mat companies way too much money to cover the carpeting up anyway!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/28/15 2:56 p.m.

So what kind of truck is it? I can not read the label in the photo. I know it is a Chevy but is is an S10 or the Colorado?

Edit: Never mind I re read the thread title... .. . Must remember to not post when I am sleep deprived.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/28/15 3:00 p.m.

I never heard a 5 cylinder that sounded good. Even Vipers with side exhausts sound like crap.

Fueled by Caffeine
9/28/15 3:01 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Fueled by Caffeine: Oh yes, no A/C and Toyman buys a different truck. It's a necessity, not an option.

I had to ask. I sold my ranger when the A/C quit down there and it turned out to be a bad compressor.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
9/28/15 4:01 p.m.

Look !! A ten year old Colorado with no rust. Must be a southern thing.
I should go down and find something like that for a DD.

Toyman01
9/28/15 4:13 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

And it is no rust. None, not a single spot anywhere on the truck. Even the frame is still black paint.

If I lived in the great white north, I'd definitely fly and drive every time.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/28/15 4:17 p.m.

How much might I ask?

Toyman01
9/28/15 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

I paid $10,422.00 for two of them, all in, including taxes and tag fees. These were fleet trucks from a water company, with good records. They are replacing two E-Series Ford vans with a combined 890K on them.

Prices around here start about $3k for a beater 4cyl and go up to new. A clean, well optioned example in the 05-09 era, with less than 200k, will set you back $6K to $12K, depending on mileage and number of doors. I'm tempted to dump my F350 and the Samurai and pick up a 4 door, 4WD Colorado. I'm pretty impressed so far.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
9/28/15 4:57 p.m.

The pricing is comparable to pricing up here, but for a few hundred bucks to go get one I'd gain several years of useful life before the rust eventually wins.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/28/15 4:59 p.m.

wait.... those only get 23 on the highway? Hopefully the in town is better?

Toyman01
9/28/15 5:06 p.m.

In reply to Bobzilla:

The 3.5 I5 with the auto is rated at 18 city and 23 highway. I haven't checked it yet. I probably won't need fuel for another day or so.

The 2.8 I4 gets 21 and 27 with the manual. I'm not going to drive a MT service truck 50K a year in traffic. I'd rather take the hit on the fuel economy.

Compared to the 12-15 mpg I was getting with the vans...

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
9/28/15 5:23 p.m.

Nice truck.

My few complaints after working on them are crappy rear door design, disassemble the whole front end to replace the reverse bolted rotors, the stupid single spring rear drums, and plenty of no see em fasteners on the I5.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
9/29/15 1:01 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: The 3.5 I5 with the auto is rated at 18 city and 23 highway. I haven't checked it yet. I probably won't need fuel for another day or so. The 2.8 I4 gets 21 and 27 with the manual. I'm not going to drive a MT service truck 50K a year in traffic. I'd rather take the hit on the fuel economy. Compared to the 12-15 mpg I was getting with the vans...

I'm still just shocked that a "midsize" truck with a small engine can't achieve fullsize V8 truck economy. Seems counterintuitive.

FooBag
FooBag GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/29/15 2:07 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: I'm still just shocked that a "midsize" truck with a small engine can't achieve fullsize V8 truck economy. Seems counterintuitive.

What full size V8 truck are you referencing that gets more than 23mph on the highway? A quick browse through www.fueleconomy.gov shows only the 2wd Silverado bettering this number & only with 2014+ body style/engine package.

While there are now full size options that do as well with V8s or better with V6s, this is a 05 that we are talking about that is far cheaper that anything new.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde UltraDork
9/29/15 2:16 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Appleseed: I'm tempted to dump my F350 and the Samurai and pick up a 4 door, 4WD Colorado. I'm pretty impressed so far.

You know they made a unicorn model with 4 doors, 4wd and the 5.3 V8, right? I have yet to see one, but I'm told they exist....

Fueled by Caffeine
9/29/15 2:41 p.m.
FooBag wrote:
Bobzilla wrote: I'm still just shocked that a "midsize" truck with a small engine can't achieve fullsize V8 truck economy. Seems counterintuitive.
What full size V8 truck are you referencing that gets more than 23mph on the highway? A quick browse through www.fueleconomy.gov shows only the 2wd Silverado bettering this number & only with 2014+ body style/engine package. While there are now full size options that do as well with V8s or better with V6s, this is a 05 that we are talking about that is far cheaper that anything new.

don't start. It's well known, on this board, that Bobzilla has an amazing chevy truck that gets better gas mileage than 99.83% of all other Chevy's in the world. Just accept it and move on.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
9/29/15 2:42 p.m.

I've only seen the v8 in a regular cab. You can get it with the zq8 package tho .

Fueled by Caffeine
9/29/15 2:49 p.m.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2009-chevrolet-colorado-v8-instrumented-test

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevrolet-Colorado-2LT-/111768536594?forcerrptr=true&hash=item1a05ec8612&item=111768536594

RossD
RossD PowerDork
9/29/15 2:53 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: In reply to Appleseed: I'm tempted to dump my F350 and the Samurai and pick up a 4 door, 4WD Colorado. I'm pretty impressed so far.
You know they made a unicorn model with 4 doors, 4wd and the 5.3 V8, right? I have yet to see one, but I'm told they exist....

Yeah it was called the Hummer H3T Alpha. My dad's '05 H3 had the 3.5 in it too. The 4.0L in my '98 Cherokee felt a lot snappier (both automatic). I'm guessing the H3 weighs way more than a stripper work truck.

Toyman01
9/29/15 3:34 p.m.

In reply to RossD:

I did some looking at the H3s last night. They are heavy, 4700 pounds. The extended cab Colorado is better than a 1000 pounds lighter.

Toyman01
9/29/15 3:37 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote:

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lPY1PTnnHX3aabR9E6tkZ3wVfgCFZk6nt3wcDZAXBiOiIFaDS8wyRUEoPLqMhTdt